I have to ask...  Is Dave really going to use the Herald he is doing some minor preparation on at the moment, as described in his blog?  Or is this just a wind-up? There's less than 3 weeks to go, for God's sake.

I thought Chris was sailing a bit close to the wind with his T6 build, but if Dave is really doing all this work and still makes it to the start on time, then he deserves a medal.

sparky_spit wrote:
I have to ask...  Is Dave really going to use the Herald he is doing some minor preparation on at the moment, as described in his blog?  Or is this just a wind-up? There's less than 3 weeks to go, for God's sake.

He's serious, and I bet the car is ready in time.

Don't forget he has fixed and repaired small chassis triumphs for years AND he has all the parts on the shelf - no waiting until next day for a courier to deliver those essential bits that you had forgotten to order.

I saw Dave and the car the other week, it certainly needs work, but if anyone can do it in time Dave can.

I think he see's the challenge as another way of motivating him to restore another one of his classic historic triumphs.

Still got to admire the man

Mike

I have no doubt he is totally serious. And will be at the startin the Herald.

I think the "stretch" build in 2002 was before you became a forum regular. that was even bigger (literally! ) and in as shorter time frame. Half the Triumph community ws holding their breath and following every days work.

It got to the start but had propshaft issues going up the A1.

Did do teh 10CR in 2003 after a bit of fettling.

I think he took a bit longer over some of the other cars he re-commissioned.

The RBRR and 10CR make very good excuses to sort out cars. Worked for Mr Bishop as well in the past.

Cheers

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that Dave has a history of last minute completions, I recall the V8 we used getting an MOT on the way to the start with a brief stop at the post office for tax (I seem to recall it's the only car Dave owns that needs taxing). Dave likes a deadline and as long as you can keep him fed and high on caffeine he'll get there, he might be doing the wiring as you drive to the start but he will get there!

Don't forget poor Chris has to travel the length of the country to get to the start. It's a shame he won't make it but that does give him the opportunity to get it finished right and not regret any hasty decisions. As for Dave, his best decisions are made in haste, or with a pint in his hand  :)