I've been busy this evening and have created a POI file with the co-ordinates of all the RBRR 2012 control stops.

Ive posted on the internet here:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cookiehome/Documents/RBRR%202012.csv

It's in Navman format but can be converted to any other popular format (eg tom tom, garmin etc) using a POI editing tool such as POIedit which is available for free download....

http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm

Dave,

Easy to convert, just open in POIEDIT software and do a "save as" and there are loads of options on the drop down file types. There are two types for Tom Tom a binary file and an itinery files. In the best "Blue Peter" tradition here's a link to one I created earlier in Tom Tom Binary format:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cookiehome/Documents/RBRR%202012%20tom%20tom%20binary%20format.ov2

I recon you owe me one of your Pies at the Stirling Control for that   ;D

cook1e wrote:
Dave,
I recon you owe me one of your Pies at the Stirling Control for that   ;D

Thanks mate,
As said I'll have a better look tomorrow. It might be more fun trying to punch each stop in as we go  ;D

As for getting my pie,you will have drive Fu*~*$g fast or be very brave.
Even my wife stays clear of my gob when foods about I have been known to bite my own fingers  ;D

I have no intention of just useing the sat nav as that's not the "spirit " of the event.
It's just handy to have a reasonable speedo,show up most speed traps and also to show how bad a corner is up ahead.
If you need to follow it blindly then there is no point doing it.
In fact I was surprised to see the route contained motorways, but 2000 miles all round the country in 48 hrs without useing them would be impossable I would think.

Back off the pie ---it's mine

beans wrote:
Anyone have a list of the stops with normal coordinates  :-/

Oops to quick there coordinates just need converting from decimal  :B

You can convert them using POIedit whcih is downloadable from the interweb for nowt...

http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm

In fact it's even from a Dutch website!!! :-)

Well my Tom Tom now sayes "no maps found " it would appear I have managed to to wipe my map from the machine.
Currently doing a "restore "
How the bell do you get the file loaded onto the dam thing ?
Looks like I might have to punch them in by hand one by one, or
I might not bother and just use the route book  ;D

Don't know with Tom Tom, with the Navman it comes with some software that syncs up with the Satnav when it'splugged into a PC and has a function for loading POI files and setting parameters for each file, ie if you want a visual or audible warning, if so what logo or sound and how far awar from the point do you want the noise. This is how the speed camera alerts are set up, they are just POI files.  I've got a visible CT logo displaying on mine for the control points :-)

Dave,

Speed camera POI files are available from a website called poscketgpsworld.com. These are via subscription but there are also installation guides for all types of satnavs on how to load the Speed camera POI files, these instructions should also work for my control point POI file :-)

Installation guides available from the link below, you may need to register on the website to get at them but registration is free, it's just the speedcamera files that cost. Also there is a forum on the websitewhere you may be able to get some assistance in sorting out your missing map problem.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras#compat

1344 wrote:
In fact I was surprised to see the route contained motorways, but 2000 miles all round the country in 48 hrs without useing them would be impossable I would think.

Dave

ther used to be a lot more motorwys.

When we did it is 1990 we did top of teh M6 to bottom of teh M5 in 1 hit. That is a f***ing long and boring slog... :K)

Back to Sat-Navs

Some lower TomToms do not do itineries.

Is yours one of those??

Cheers

Colin

For use on my Garmin I converted all the original decimal codes provided and programmed them into my Garmin by hand.  I had the option of selecting co-ordinates to locate where I wanted to go or the alternative with the My Itinary option was to select the control points by using the co-ordinates option.  I also added the missing co-ordinates for the new control stops.

As most people suggest the Sat Nav is a back up for the night driving when only one of us should be awake and driving instead of reading the map.

As a first timer I am trying to give the team the best chance of completing the event.  We will be in car 87 my son's Triumph 2000 MKII.  Look forward to meeting you all.

Post codes are allright to a point, a couple of the controls are not buildings so have no post code (eg Carter Bar and Sugar Loaf). Some of the others are pretty rural and the post code covers sveral buildings over a wide area so will just get you close rather than right there...

To work outthe co-ordinates I actually went onto Google Maps street view and located the actual control point so the co-ordinates will get you right there.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with the road book, it's the tried and trusted way of navigated, Sat Nav is useful as a back up if you have trouble locating the control, is also great if you have speed camera warnings on the sat nav (although on the A68 they are so frequent it will be going off almost continuously!) nand very good at showing the road ahead in the dark so you get a very early warning of any bends...

cook1e wrote:
... To work outthe co-ordinates I actually went onto Google Maps street view and located the actual control point so the co-ordinates will get you right there ...

That indeed is the best way to make sure you arrive in the correct place  ;)

4892 wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance concerning Sat Nav, what is wrong with just putting in the destination post codes? I have borrowed a sat nav and that is what I shall be doing as I know nothing about them and there is no instruction book with it.

Also they will try to takle you the "best" route, which may involve motorways many miles from where you want to be.

Cheers

Colin