Car success rates - advice from Statto

I know there is a thread elsewhere but for the sake of those looking at prep for 2014 I'll put the stats I am getting on success rates here.

For the RBRRs I have stats from - at the moment 2006.2008,2010 here's what it looks like. (2012's will go in this when I can)

318 cars started - 290 finished - a success rate of 91.2%

2000/2500 89 entered 86 finished 96.6% success
TR2-6 27 entered 26 finished 96.3%
Stag  21 entered 20 finished 95.2% success
Dolomite/Toledo 33 entered 31 finished 93.9% success
Herald/Vitesse 42 entered  38 finished 90.5% success
GT6 26 entered 22 finished 84.6% success
Spitfire 42 entered 35 finished 83.3% success
TR7-TR7V8 21 entered 16 finished 76.2% success :o

There's a big difference here with the 10CR results - the saloons don't do as well as the big engined (2 litre+) sportsc cars on the 10CR but on the RBRR it's the other way round in the main. Less arduous climbs, running in a cooler climate?

6797 wrote:
Would be interested in seeing the failure reasons for the Spitfires - since that's what we intend on using in 2014! Interesting stats though - Thanks!

I'll get to that next then.

The info comes from a slightly different database - same data just set up differently.

6797 wrote:
Would be interested in seeing the failure reasons for the Spitfires - since that's what we intend on using in 2014! Interesting stats though - Thanks!

Just to put in context with the talk of all these driveshaft failures on the 2012 event - I successfully completed the 2010 RBRR in my Spitfire 1500, the driveshaft failed on the 2007 10CR and was replaced with one of Mr Pearsons replacements which went on to do over 10k miles without fault before I sold the car earlier this year. It was the alternator that gave up the ghost in 2010 which was an easy swap (but wet!) in Gordano Services on the way into Cornwall.

I would say just check and replace any suspect bearings/uj's with known quality items and take a spare alternator!

One thing to note.  I know of one Dolomite (hit sheep,10) and one Spitfire (rollover) fail due to accident.  One Spitfire out due to windscreen loss (06).   Hard to blame the cars for these.  I think the other Dolomite also was out due to accident at the same spot as the Spitfire rollover but not sure.  

• 2 weeks later...

Almost impossible to quantify these results into anything meaningful although I did notice quite a few shiny car failures in 2010. I had given up most of my spares by Blyth! Basically I think the best preparation is to use your Triumph regularly and this will give you the chance to spot any potential problems that could blight your run. I crashed in 2004 due to a mechanical failure that I could not have avoided (Spit 1500). Limped round in 2006 with a failed head gasket (Dolly 1500HL Auto) . Had an effortless run in 2008 despite filling up with Diesel (Dolly 1500HL Man O/D) Broke down 6 times but got round late everywhere in 2010 ( Jonathans Mk 4 Spitfire) and even this year (Mk 2 2500 TC) the only suspect part of the car, the Autobox, lost reverse but got us home in good time. In 2014 the 2500 will be back sporting Man O/D .

I have felt most confident in the cars that I use as dailies.

I would agree that a daily use car CAN be an advantage when doing the RBRR, but I wouldn't agree that the stats (especially once Martin has put together the failure reasons) will be meaningless.
In 2010 we had a loss of o/d which we jury rigged and increasing noise from the fr wheel bearings.
2012 was an increasing stiffness to the throttle, caused by heat from the 6-3-1 'drying' the throttle cable out.
The estate does circa 7.5k miles a year, including long and short journeys, none of the problems listed above had occured before hand even when doing 1000 miles in a handful of days, so the unexpected can always happen. But none of the above problems were that serious really, daily use is certainly a good idea for a trustworthy car for long haul and continental trips IMHO.

Colin

• 1 month later...

OK - at last, with all the 2012 data entered

So, for 2006/8/10&12

410 cars entered
, 376 finished = success rate 91.7%
Then the car models

Acclaim            - 13 entered 13 finished 100%
2000/2500   - 116 entered, 113 finished 97.4%
Stag 27                 entered, 26 finished 96.3%
TR2-6               39 entered, 37 finished 94.9%
Dolomite/Toledo  41 entered 38 finished 92.7%
Herald/Vitesse   53 entered 47 finished 88.7%
GT6                  30 entered 26 finished 86.7%
Spitfire               50 entered 42 finished 84%
TR7-TR7V8       30 entered 25 finished 83.3%

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Goody wrote:
Are accidents included in the list?   Can't blame the car for those.

Going back to this thread I will try and answer some of the questions.

Yes, accidents included of which I have 4 recorded so excluding them - now 406 entered, 376 finished = 92.6% success rate.

Spitfire data as requested by Sam

Excluding 2 accidents makes 48 entered, 42 finished = 87.5% success rate.
Reasons for DNF - sorry can't help, no data on 4 of them and the other two were wheel bearing failure and "ignition problems"