What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

37 minutes ago, Clive said:

We have a resident gearbox/diff chappie at the meetings (Pete) I am sure he will be happy to have a listen and give his thoughts. He is always there at the meetings, so whenever you can make it.

Cheers - I will try be there for the next one. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rog1300 said:

hi - everything is rock solid - I did think it couldn't be wheel bearing with just a 12 & 6 rock but it does seem so. I only turned the castle nut one flat at a time back from a medium firm hand tight position til there was no rocking of wheel - i.e one more flat of undoing resulted in rocking.. this seemed best to me. time will tell 🙂

The manual says 3 - 5thou of end float on the bearing (obviously not exact due to fitting of split pin) which seems to equate to over 1mm play at the tyre. This requirement often causes problems at MOT inspections and its good to have the manual with you to prove it but the risk of not having it is the bearing overheats and can seize☹️

19 hours ago, Clive said:

Rock at 6/12 can mean wear in the stub axle. A wise garage man told me about that, and the need to compare with 3/9 position.

Thanks Clive, I did consider that. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes and monitor it closely. 

20 hours ago, glang said:

The manual says 3 - 5thou of end float on the bearing (obviously not exact due to fitting of split pin) which seems to equate to over 1mm play at the tyre. This requirement often causes problems at MOT inspections and its good to have the manual with you to prove it but the risk of not having it is the bearing overheats and can seize☹️

i will be checking again after next run out on Saturday. At least there is a qtr turn available with the two holes in the stub ax. The play I had was more like 3mm+ of noticeable movement.  Still, i'll keep a close eye on..thanks. 

Yes check the temperature of the hubs after a good run. It is counter intuitive to need play in wheel bearings (hence MOT problems) but Triumph had quite a good design here as it allows the inner races to rotate on the stub shaft and so distribute wear. Certainly the bearings, if good quality, seem to outlast many other bits of the cars😁 Free to download copies of the original workshop manuals are available online although maybe not for your exact model...

Next task is to properly rewire the various modifications to the car - daytime running lights & electric fan - with colour coded wiring & to sort out the 6/12v feeds to the coil (currently its fed with 12v continuously!) & reconnect the near side indicator. The necessary fitting are ordered so should be able to start next week 🙂

GT6: 440 miles on new engine, start seeing white smoke coming from oil catchcan breather, rocker breather & dipstick tube, also had crankcase compression with a fair amount of oil coming out. Compression test showed c. 220 on 5 cyls, 120 on No3, suspected ring problem, started stripping engine down for removal. At Tim Ward's suggestion I did a leakdown test once head was off and discovered leak on No3 inlet. Took head back to builder today, 8 new guides, 2 new valves, have refitted the head & rocker shaft, tappets set. Will do another compression test in morning once starter refitted and oil filled.

TR6: Some odd AFR readings at idle, went to check leads & plugs and No1 plug wouldn't come off, pulled off it's crimped end, others weren't much better, haven't been on that long, bit unusual. Have swapped plugs out as wanted to check they'd come out ok, need test run now.

PI: Fitted new DAB radio, very pleased so far, need to add some more speakers though, only have dash one currently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glang said:

Wow, I take its a 6v coil so how long has it and the rest of the HT system lasted like that?

No idea. The installed coil was NKG and was unable to find any more info so have replaced it with a NOS Lucas ballasted coil, which currently is only connected through the ballast resistor. Runs fine, but starting is an issue.

15 hours ago, iani said:

GT6: 440 miles on new engine, start seeing white smoke coming from oil catchcan breather, rocker breather & dipstick tube, also had crankcase compression with a fair amount of oil coming out. Compression test showed c. 220 on 5 cyls, 120 on No3, suspected ring problem, started stripping engine down for removal. At Tim Ward's suggestion I did a leakdown test once head was off and discovered leak on No3 inlet. Took head back to builder today, 8 new guides, 2 new valves, have refitted the head & rocker shaft, tappets set. Will do another compression test in morning once starter refitted and oil filled.

TR6: Some odd AFR readings at idle, went to check leads & plugs and No1 plug wouldn't come off, pulled off it's crimped end, others weren't much better, haven't been on that long, bit unusual. Have swapped plugs out as wanted to check they'd come out ok, need test run now.

PI: Fitted new DAB radio, very pleased so far, need to add some more speakers though, only have dash one currently.

GT6: Well that didn't work, still have low compression on No3, back to engine out when I can muster some enthusiasm

TR6: New lambda sensor on order

PI: Refitted original cigarette lighter after cleaning off corrosion it works perfectly, fag lighter element doesn't but I only need it as a charging point and it looks original. Heater control stopped working last week, I heard the clip holding the cable on ping off, stripped the console today, recovered the clip to discover the issue is actually that the plastic sheath on the cable has worn away and the clip doesn't hold what's left, I'll need to remove cable at valve end and feed new sheath through, I don't think the cable is available new?

Ian

GT6 - Sat in garage in disgrace, can't face touching it again this week

TR6 - Awaiting replacement lambda sensor, due to arrive today, these don't seem to last very long

PI Saloon - Fitted "Fred Milturn" upgraded throttle bodies this morning, he fits bearings into the bodies to improve the spindle operation and reduce wear. The improvement was noticeable on first turn of the key, before I'd balanced the TBs. Very impressed with the quality of his work, smoother fuel delivery right across the range.

• Like 1

Can commiserate with you on the GT6 - having a ring problem and poor valve sealing on exactly the same cylinder was real bad luck!

Im a bit mystified about what work has been carried out though as didnt the head get overhauled when the rest of the engine was done?

Then with the ring I can only think it has broken after doing a few miles from being replaced (or have I missed some history here...) but what did the bore look like when you had the head off? 

24 minutes ago, glang said:

Can commiserate with you on the GT6 - having a ring problem and poor valve sealing on exactly the same cylinder was real bad luck!

Im a bit mystified about what work has been carried out though as didnt the head get overhauled when the rest of the engine was done?

Then with the ring I can only think it has broken after doing a few miles from being replaced (or have I missed some history here...) but what did the bore look like when you had the head off? 

This was a reconditioned head, new valves, guides, had even been gas flowed, c.11.25 CR

The bore looks fine, can still see honing marks, no witness marks from damaged ring

The head was recon but still needed 8 new guides and 2 valves after 440miles!

Does the compression come up to the same as the others cylinders when you do the test with a bit of oil added to the bore through the sparkplug hole? If it does then it must be the ring/piston and if not theres only a head gasket leak or crack in something left as possibilities...

2 minutes ago, glang said:

The head was recon but still needed 8 new guides and 2 valves after 440miles!

Does the compression come up to the same as the others cylinders when you do the test with a bit of oil added to the bore through the sparkplug hole? If it does then it must be the ring/piston and if not theres only a head gasket leak or crack in something left as possibilities...

No, adding a few strokes of oil raised the compression but not by much, it is still only around 50% of the healthy pots.

Well then it cant be piston/rings can it? Normally the oil trick makes quite a difference unless theres a real big gap like a standard size piston/ring in an rebored cylinder or maybe a new ring has been really badly gapped?

The white smoke you originally saw also seems a strange thing to have just from low compression... 

2 minutes ago, glang said:

Well then it cant be piston/rings can it? Normally the oil trick makes quite a difference unless theres a real big gap like a standard size piston/ring in an rebored cylinder or maybe a new ring has been really badly gapped?

The white smoke you originally saw also seems a strange thing to have just from low compression... 

The reconditioner reckons the white smoke was from the valve leak, this inlet failed leak down test. Will see what ring gap looks like when I remove the piston, going to be a couple of weeks as I'm away next weekend.

3 minutes ago, glang said:

Im no expert but always thought white smoke indicated coolant from a failed head gasket. Hope you find a straight forward answer and let us know👍

I've had a couple of HGF's over the years, you can normally smell the sweet smell of hot antifreeze. This smoke had little/no smell, neither coolant nor oil, no oil in coolant or vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2022 at 21:31, Clive said:

Rock at 6/12 can mean wear in the stub axle. A wise garage man told me about that, and the need to compare with 3/9 position.

Will have to compare, as I think there's a very slight lip on the bottom of axle, where the bearing runs, though as long as not too much play at 12/6 and some at 3/9, then ok I guess?.

It's been like that since I had car 20,000 miles ago, and not got noticeably worse?. I thought it may have worn more, as any case hardening on stub would not exist now, if it was worn a bit?

I seem to remember, someone did the maths on acceptable/tolerance of max gap of a few thou at bearing, related to 4mm at tyre edge? 

Edited by Dave Clasper

24 minutes ago, Dave Clasper said:

Will have to compare, as I think there's a very slight lip on the bottom of axle, where the bearing runs, though as long as not too much play at 12/6 and some at 3/9, then ok I guess?.

It's been like that since I had car 20,000 miles ago, and not got noticeably worse?. I thought it may have worn more, as any case hardening on stub would not exist now, if it was worn a bit?

I seem to remember, someone did the maths on acceptable/tolerance of max gap of a few thou at bearing, related to 4mm at tyre edge? 

I would have thought that if you do up the wheel bearing nut until theres no play left in the bearings then if movement is still present it must be down to stub axle wear...