What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

GT6: Today was the day I was going to replace an errant oil control ring, restore compression and refit engine, unfortunately that didn't go to plan. On removing the piston the rings looked ok, on removing them however a large chunk of piston fell off. I will see how the vendor reacts on Monday, I am certainly not fitting the same type of pistons to this engine again however.

PI Saloon: wash & brush up post visit to Wales last weekend

IMG_3365.jpg

On 22/10/2022 at 17:17, iani said:

On removing the piston the rings looked ok, on removing them however a large chunk of piston fell off. I will see how the vendor reacts on Monday, I am certainly not fitting the same type of pistons to this engine again however

Yikes, that's a surprise. What pistons are these out of interest?

3 hours ago, iani said:

JP Pete, Australian, in the end two of the pistons had broken lands.

Bugger, they're meant to be the good ones! Have you had bad experiences with County pistons? I've heard 2nd hand complaints but not had any issues so far. But I'm not running massive compression or anything

20 minutes ago, glang said:

Complicated because couldnt there be other factors involved?  Bore dimensions, ring size, running in procedure etc....

The bore size had been checked at Engineering works, the rings are Gates of the right size. The engine was being run in reasonably gently, I was keeping it below 3k RPM and not letting the engine strain too much. I have an AFR gauge fitted and the mixture was typically running 13.5 - 14.7, only going lean briefly on overrun. I have had a number of issues with this build and was taking particular care this time.

6 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Bugger, they're meant to be the good ones! Have you had bad experiences with County pistons? I've heard 2nd hand complaints but not had any issues so far. But I'm not running massive compression or anything

I'm fitting County ones this time, hopefully with a better outcome.

• Like 1

Stuff done:

Dolomite now has carpets, MGF front seats now fitted and Gill has a plan to spruce up the rear seats. The servo was non-operative, but it turned out to be a collapsed vacuum hose, a new piece is on order to replace the "borrowed for test purposes" Next job is to fit all the front lights and all chromework as long as my Bresco order of lots of clips etc actually went through. I guess I ought to be thinking of booking an MoT!

In other news, we have taken a deposit on our red spitfire, odd story involving a funeral. But it is off to France, so is being returned to std specification. Yellow spitfire sulking in a lockup garage for a few weeks. 

GT6: Well the pistons are all in, unfortunately however an ARP conrod bolt snapped, it's the third time this set had been torqued up, this was the last one too, work has stopped until replacement set arrives and I will change all just in case. I have another head coming for this engine sometime this week, reducing to an 11:1 CR, should have adequate power but stepping back from the edge a bit.

TR6: I have been seeing intermittent electrical issues, when I rewired the car I couldn't get replacement standard fusebox that I was happy with the quality of and reused the original, most recently with some tinfoil maintaining contact for one of the fuses. Today I finally swapped it out for a modern blade fuse holder, hopefully this will prove more reliable.

2.5 PI Saloon: Oil & filter change, I'm sure it's running rich as the oil goes black quite quickly. I chased down the fog light wire built into the standard loom and tested the switch with a Lucas Square 8 foglight, all works, have a pair of brackets coming and will aim to fit the fogs soon. Whilst I had the grill off I replaced the mixed rusty screws holding it in with a set of new ones. I also hardwired my dash cam into the fusebox, one less thing to plug in.

36 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Loads of non-Triumphy distractions at the moment. Trying to clear space in the garage to get the Dolomite back in, but got distracted stripping the spare Dolomite axle ready for blasting/paint. 

Do we need a thread for, "What have you been doing instead of working on your Triumph?"

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...