What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

1 minute ago, iani said:

No space for my bonnet, had to do job with bonnet fitted. I really don't want to remove this gearbox again, PITA to fit it.

Surprised you managed to get it all in with the bonnet on. Well done you. Zoom into my pic and look at the steering rack mounts. They are from the USA and wonderful quality

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimW said:

Surprised you managed to get it all in with the bonnet on. Well done you. Zoom into my pic and look at the steering rack mounts. They are from the USA and wonderful quality

Very nice, zoom in on my timing cover 😉

As today was the last hoy day, it brought forward the unpleasant task of rust protection. Dinitrol MIL (had it several years in the garage) liberally applied to box sections etc, followed by Dinitrol hard wax which is awesome stuff. However, I made the schoolboy error of shorts and t shirt. They may or may not recover. I have managed to get myself scrubbed up with some considerable effort. Overalls next time....

• Haha 3

MOT done; water temperature gauge stopped working, think it is sender as gauge went around when sender lead went to earth; hit and miss delay and drag when accelerating last weekend, had a look and an in line fuel filter had fallen apart, cone area floating around and metal cap holding filter on plastic reservoir has also fallen off, hovering over the outlet to the carbs, filter replaced and new fuel hoses installed to try and reduce effect of E5 and E10 fuel;

• Like 1

Saloon:

Every few years I have to re-new the wiring to the starter motor as it gets fried by the tubular exhaust manifold, so I have just done that. Also replaced the positive lead from the battery. Changed the electric fan switch that is situated in the bottom of the radiator.

Otherwise, working through the list of jobs to get ready for the 10CR: Valve clearances, engine oil change, diff and gearbox oil level check, and check over the top strut bearings, then its time for a good clean and polish.

TR6

Took out the rear light units and cleaned off all the soot and staining, the reverse light lenses are past cleaning so replaced with new. I have also replaced the light bulb holders and will be fitting LEDs.

GT6

Nothing!

• Like 2

PI Saloon

Fitted magnecor leads, having issues with dizzy retaining clamp on 123, more work required there. Cleaned up spare parcel shelf, awaiting vinyl paint, will recolour, make holes & fit rear belts, possibly high level brake light too.

TR6

Nothing 

GT6

Managed to fit Tony L-D's exhaust manifold, bit of grinding to chassis lip & some straightening of outer pipe, glad to get it on at last.

manifold.jpeg

Edited by iani
  • Like 1

Well I've got inertia reel seatbelts fitted to the front of the herald now, and they still work when I put the roof down. I've added a GPS Speedo so that I can see how fast I'm actually going and I've faffed around with chassis spacers and door hinges in a vain attempt to get the doors to shut properly 😭. I'll leave her alone till after the Silverstone classic and then I may have another go at the doors and I need to replace the biscuit tin lid that acts as a heat shield between the exhaust and the carb 

Replaced the seat belts (the wire stalks eventually break internally and new ones are not available 😞 ), fitted the restuffed original seats and replaced the light/sensor module on the 30 year old Pirana/Newtronics electronic ignition. Newtronics were amazing to deal with and were very happy to supply the part! score 10 out of 10!

• Like 1

Changed the coolant this afternoon and then took the old stuff and a few other bits to the local recycling centre to run the engine properly up to temp. while out I went and bought new work trousers - 2 for the price of 1.

I hadn't realised how severe the withdrawal symptoms had got, I needed the drive in the Triumph more than the car needed the run 😁.

GT6:

I spoke too soon about fitting the TLD manifold, I had a 6hr battle to fit the collector, a real swine of a job involving jubilee clips (thanks Mike Digby for the tip), when I finally got it fitted it is tight against the bellhousing, no way to get link pipe on. By this point I was somewhat miffed and removed the manifold, I then reverted to the Phoenix one that fits easily. With hindsight I should have taken some measurements, I might get the collector extended, I don't like being beaten.

In order to achieve something today, I swapped the chokes out in my DCOEs, now all 34mm, the jets were changed last week, hopefully no lean running issues now.

TR6: Neglect, sorry!

PI Saloon:

Oil & filter change first thing, all over by 8:15

Edited by iani
  • Like 1

More 10CR prep for Krusty Mustard today. Cheapo leaky fuel filter changed, knackered bottom hose jubilee replaced - coolant changed in the process, gearbox and diff levels checked - both ok, N/S mirror fitted (thanks Tim Ward for making me do it twice 😁

Looking forward to 2 and a bit weeks time 🙂

• Like 2

PI Saloon: removed N/S Desmo door mirror, fished nuts out from depths of rustproofing gunk at bottom of door, cleaned gunk off hands. Went to re-tension mirror to find adjuster has seized, reassembled door. Went on eBay & bought replacement "Jaguar" mirror, looks identical, fingers crossed.

GT6: Oil filter adaptor, filter & loopback hose fitted, don't want running in oil going to cooler. Filled with oil, spun oil pump around a few times, called it a day.

Edited by iani