What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

Today I put some oil in Toby's gearbox (it was, indeed, quite low) then went underneath to see if I could spot a leak. Nothing obvious on the gearbox, but the sump is missing two bolts. Unsurprisingly, it's the two that screw into the rear oil seal housing, and the alloy threads are completely stripped. I've got plenty of 5/16" UNF helicoils but from a brief inspection it looks like at very least a sump off job and quite possibly an engine out.

Years ago I had teh same with the front, and managed to drill the sump flange to 10.5mm and then tapped the block to M10. (yes, I know, but I hadn't even heard of helicoils and only had metric taps) I then reduced  M10 setscrew heads down to fit 1/2" spanner. Today I would try cap heads. But I reckon it may be do-able in situ, you may need a way of extending the tap though. 

• Like 1

GT6 Mk1: We went to Northampton Motorsport on Tuesday to have the DCOE's setup, I had sorted an exhaust leak out last weekend but there was still a bit of a blow at the manifold, it's never easy getting a good seal with aftermarket manifolds, the face heights are very different. Anyway, the session resulted in 192BHP, I was happy with that as my target was 180 (same as my EFI'd TR6). I will revert to using studs & nuts for the bottom row of manifold fixings, I have access trouble on a couple of the allen headed screws I am currently using, hopefully that will sort my leak out.

PI Saloon: sulking under its cover, will get it out this weekend.

TR6: Good run out last Sunday, it hasn't sold yet, no rush as I still love having this car.

Mk1 2000 Estate: This car is so far exceeding my expectations, I picked it up from EJ Ward's this week, they fitted the brakes & suspension that they'd removed from my PI Saloon in December, all low mileage but standard spec' parts. The also swapped the drivers seat for an Alfa one I gave them, I will swap the passenger one myself, a tremendous improvement. Ward's also got the Overdrive to work, there was no supply to the relay. I had already gone to their yard and done the negative earth & alternator conversion myself. I'm thoroughly enjoying driving this 65mph "bruiser", I'm still mulling over an engine swap though, I have a fast road 2.5 head arriving next week (a warranty claim post an earlier failure on the GT6) and I have a set of PI kit.

Home.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clive said:

But I reckon it may be do-able in situ, you may need a way of extending the tap though.

The problem with the back ones is access. The holes in the sump are too small for the tap (and have reinforcement plates) so that needs to come off, at least. Then the backplate is still in the way for all the tools being used. I'll give it a try, though, as I really don't want to take the engine out.

PI Saloon: Went for a drive today, car has developed an overdrive fault, started slipping & dropping out, now won't engage at all, I can hear the solenoid activating when the switch is made, will check oil level but as that wasn't done long ago, I'm suspecting big bill coming

Mk1 2000 Estate: Coolant flushed & heater now working. I removed the broken horn ring to fit a replacement, pulled out the horn pencil to find it was broken, not really surprising as it appears to be original, it was an orange one. I now have a working horn. Washer bottle bracket replaced with a newer/cleaner one, washer wiring swapped round post neg earth conversion. I then changed the wiring over to the lighter socket too, I can now charge things. I also fitted the passenger side Alfa seat, these are a huge improvement over standard.

front seats.jpg

Today I got to take the mk3 spit for a short run (it was chucking it down with rain, and no roof) and the good news is the rebuilt engione is great, lovely and crisp but needs a bit more tuning. Considering it is a herald GE engine, it pulls brilliantly. Downside is that the reverse light switch has packed up again, so a new one ordered. Just needs the tunnel out😒

It is sitting on a set of bolt on wire wheels, which the new owners wanted over alloys or original steel wheels. Madness.

Only jobs left to do are fit the rear bumpers, swap the headlights to LHD and a bit of tuning. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Discovered during re-assembly the sodding track rod end on the Spitfire has a metric thread with an odd pitch.... which explains why I can't get a UNF nyloc to fit.

Re-used the old nyloc for now (when I finally found which one it was in the pile of old ones) but I've ordered replacements. M10x1.25 I think. (Hope!)

image.png.8b15509e5a73a33e7ddf2c48de5cdd6d.png

👍

Too cold for much work in the brief gap between finishing work & darkness today:

2000 Mk1 Estate - ceiling light now screwed to roof, it was working fine with a new bulb but for some reason it had just been dangling. Voltage stabiliser was playing up, gauges working intermittently, swapped out with spare and now gauges are working.

Mk2 2.5 PI Saloon - Collected Alfa seats from trimmer today so refitted runners with Shacktune bits, will swap out at weekend.

23 hours ago, iani said:

Too cold for much work in the brief gap between finishing work & darkness today:

2000 Mk1 Estate - ceiling light now screwed to roof, it was working fine with a new bulb but for some reason it had just been dangling. Voltage stabiliser was playing up, gauges working intermittently, swapped out with spare and now gauges are working.

Mk2 2.5 PI Saloon - Collected Alfa seats from trimmer today so refitted runners with Shacktune bits, will swap out at weekend.

Seats look lovely too! 

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Just need to colour them Cactus.. 🙂

It was really bad timing, the brown set were a light grey when I bought them, they would have looked better in the Cactus Estate, the second pair I bought are black and I could have lived with them in the PI and saved £800 on having them retrimmed, I really must learn to be more patient!