What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Just ordered the parts needed for the rear brakes - cylinders, adjusters definitely needed to be replaced (at least on one side), mounting kit for the cylinders just in case & flexibles as there is a suspicion one was causing a blockage. 

When they arrive I'll take them up the road to the mechanic who has the car in his garage.

You don't think I was going to get my hands dirty did you? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mk2 PI Saloon: OD misbehaving & reverse gear difficult to fit, have obtained a new 'box & OD, just need to arrange fitting.

Mk1 2000 Estate: Picked up a reconditioned rocker cover at Stoneleigh today, looks a lot better now. I also picked up a Mk1 PI Formula steering wheel, I already had a boss for it, will fit as & when I do 2.5/PI conversion.

box.jpg

Formula.jpg

Rocker.jpg

• Like 4

I visited "Bitter Lemon" on Sunday. The body shop had literally taken everything else apart(it was a  rolling chassis with the body loosely attached when they picked it up).

Was mildly miffed as I wanted to do some work but I live nearly an hour and half away in in that time they claim they had it taken apart!

Next step is to have it dipped and coated and see about a repaint...

We also determined to use most of the California ca (aka Bitter Lemon) and only the barest minimum of parts from "Blue Lightning". I am trying to find a place that will give me some cash for the metal...

If I can think of saying something more interesting i might make a new thread...

• Like 1

Booked the Herald in for an MOT and its failed, first time in 5 years. 😞
Corrosion in both rear outriggers, I knew they were a bit crusty but not that bad. Thats why I think its good to have someone else look over the car every year....
Only had them replaced in 2006, by Jigsaw, wonder if they are still under warranty!

Mike

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mpbarrett said:

Corrosion in both rear outriggers, I knew they were a bit crusty but not that bad. Thats why I think its good to have someone else look over the car every year....
Only had them replaced in 2006, by Jigsaw, wonder if they are still under warranty!

Mike

Bad luck Mike, but good on you for having it tested and finding it before something bad could happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

Mike

Need to get Mabel mot’d ready for spring  planning a weekend driving round snowdonia,  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iani said:

I'm probably being optimistic about the sunshine prospects this year but have fitted a sunshade to my PI rear windscreen today.

sunshade.jpg

I’m sure when you get a triumph behind you with poorly aligned led headlights it’ll definitely be worth having 🤣

• Haha 2

A bit more welding on the Spitfire last night, also got it running again after messing with the dizzy (checking the shimming/float on the pedestal in a "clutching at straws" attempt to figure out why my timing is "wandering"), diff rebuild progress with output shafts rebuilt (new bearings + seals) and the main casing drilled and tapped for a drain plug and painted (3 coats of acrylic rust proofer and 1 coat of stone chip) 

On 14/02/2023 at 15:55, mpbarrett said:

Booked the Herald in for an MOT and its failed, first time in 5 years.

Took my GT6 for its MOT yesterday and it... should have failed. The garage I use tend to mark things down as "advise" or "minor", knowing that I'll fix them anyway. On this occasion, one of the front lower suspension bushes (the nylon top-hat in the trunnion) is totally shot. I need to replace that before the DPMR.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2023 at 08:24, yorkshire_spam said:

A bit more welding on the Spitfire last night, also got it running again after messing with the dizzy (checking the shimming/float on the pedestal in a "clutching at straws" attempt to figure out why my timing is "wandering"), diff rebuild progress with output shafts rebuilt (new bearings + seals) and the main casing drilled and tapped for a drain plug and painted (3 coats of acrylic rust proofer and 1 coat of stone chip) 

I'm not sure what crank pulley you have, certainly on the bonded rubber variety  the timing can wander due to delamination of the rubber. I have seen significant timing drift as a result of this myself previously.

Edited by iani

20 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Thanks for the suggestion - it's a standard 1500 solid pulley. 

worn dizzy spindle? weak springs? might be time for a rebuild of the dizzy, or stick a cheap powerspark on in, all new components, just not sure I'd rely on it for any length of time.

1 hour ago, iani said:

worn dizzy spindle? weak springs? might be time for a rebuild of the dizzy, or stick a cheap powerspark on in, all new components, just not sure I'd rely on it for any length of time.

Same behavior on points and power spark points replacement. Also same on 2 dizzy, one rebuilt by h&h the other is the original. Hence clutching at straws! 

Edited by yorkshire_spam

I've just received a new, for me, piece of equipment that once fitted will result in me cruising not at an indicated '50' but '80'. Wow what a boost!

speedoatdelivery.thumb.JPG.4eec6e82e74957f576cc4cc7f1772149.JPG

Yes, a speedometer in Kms not Miles to replace mine. It will make travelling a little easier with signs in Kms and the car recording the distance in miles. The big plus is the trip works, mine has never since I got it and I am too much of a coward to take it apart.

I need to take the glass of to give it a clean on the inside and probably dust the face.

I have thought, briefly of trying to reset the total distance to the metric equivalent of the reading on my imperial one, but as said too much of a coward.

Now, serious question : I want to confirm it works so does the cable turn clockwise or anti clockwise when viewed from the front or back?

• Like 3