What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

21 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Ian, nice estate...what plans?

A good question Tim, still formulating ideas but...

I have a 2.5 head being reconditioned right now (warranty work & it will be spare)

I have a set of CP PI kit on the shelf

There were no PFL Mk1 PI Estates made....hmm.. would make a nice car if I can get a short motor reasonably priced

I have a set of black powder coated TR6 wheels coming in Feb

20 hours ago, Guppy916 said:

Iani looking at your post Dec 09 could you please send me details of your front suspension set up, I would like to change mine to be able to adjust the camber 

The parts are from Canley Classics, trunnionless uprights and adjustable upper wishbones.

GT6: Still running in (ish) haven't ventured beyond 4k yet and only there briefly, 600 miles on this lump now, might retorque head before rolling road session on 10/01, want to check tappets again anyway.

TR6: Took it to Brackley on 27th, voltage was reading low, it has an A127 alternator and, when checking output voltages I accidentally shorted an unused terminal to its casing, voltage normalised and continues to read as it should, I will carry a spare for now.

2.5 PI Saloon: The new windscreen seal has had a thorough test in the last week with all the rain, I'm pleased to report a dry footwell, thanks James Godfrey-Dunne for swapping the seal. I have fitted LED headlights today, a big improvement over the halogens, that said, the latter will be reused in the Estate.

2000 Estate: Nothing done on the car per se, the new parts collection is growing here however, I'm itching to get going and have it back on the road, hopefully a couple more weeks should see it coming home. 

Edited by iani

2 hours ago, Guppy916 said:

wellcome to the "done bugger all" club chap

I might qualify then, as all I've done since early December is talk to the local garage man about having the rear brakes checked out this month, looked at my usual French suppliers for likely parts that might need replacing.

Tomorrow I 'plan' to go round and agree a date to take the car in, but tomorrow is another day . . .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Guppy916 said:

Thanks Iani iv'e seen those, Iani can you please send me some photos of your glove boxes both sides please, i'm searching these parts for a friend over sea's, it will give me some idea as to what i'm looking for, many thanks

Just  seen this, PM me your email address and I'll send some tomorrow

Edited by iani

Just a few small jobs:-

Rewired and repaired ignition

Modified electric fans so blades turning with correct edge foreward

Fitted automatic daytime running light

Rewire electric pump with inertia switch

General tidyup of wiring behind dashboard, fit electronic flashers

LED dash lighting

Replace never used radio with much needed DIN storage unit

Repair and repaint all plastic trim. Remove false wood effect.

Complete recolouring faded original carpet.

Sort out warning lights low coolant/low oil pressure/low fuel.

That's all for this month ,😃

• Like 2

TR6: In garage, for sale, see my ad on this site 😃

GT6 Mk1: Going for DCOE setup session on rolling road on the 10th, will check car over this weekend. Have found a NOS brake master cylinder, currently have TRW fitted and, after a few issues with that make, I'd like to replace it. 

2.5 Mk2 PI: Brakes have been changed to Stag spec' all round, along with Stag M/cyl & servo, suspension has been stiffened up a little, had been using standard spec' parts, now on stiffer springs, KYB dampers & roller top mounts. The wallowing I had been experiencing has been drastically reduced but the ride is still very comfortable, a good balance.

2000 Mk1 Estate: The brakes & suspension on this car were past their sell-by date, the parts removed from my PI above have been fitted to the Estate. The saloon springs might well prove too soft for the rear, however, they were almost an inch higher uncompressed and I can't see me moving too many heavy loads in this car. I replaced the dynamo with an alternator, bypassed the regulator, converted the elec ignition from a pos earth unit to negative earth, fitted a new washer bottle strap, new radiator cap, few hoses. 

• Like 1

Today I put some oil in Toby's gearbox (it was, indeed, quite low) then went underneath to see if I could spot a leak. Nothing obvious on the gearbox, but the sump is missing two bolts. Unsurprisingly, it's the two that screw into the rear oil seal housing, and the alloy threads are completely stripped. I've got plenty of 5/16" UNF helicoils but from a brief inspection it looks like at very least a sump off job and quite possibly an engine out.

37 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

Today I put some oil in Toby's gearbox (it was, indeed, quite low) then went underneath to see if I could spot a leak. Nothing obvious on the gearbox, but the sump is missing two bolts. Unsurprisingly, it's the two that screw into the rear oil seal housing, and the alloy threads are completely stripped. I've got plenty of 5/16" UNF helicoils but from a brief inspection it looks like at very least a sump off job and quite possibly an engine out.

I have a "sumpy" oil leak on the Spit 1500... I'm just hoping it's not something similar or the crank rear seal. 😞 I removed the sump straightened the flange fitted a new gasket and was careful torquing the bolts. Time will tell if I still need engine out to sort it.