Thoughts on tyres for a GT6

Tim Bancroft

Have a look at Falken Sincera SN832 tyres.  They have a good reputation, especially in the wet. I've found them to be very good for rattling though the lanes on night rallies in the wet: probably the best tyres I've ever had. Good value too.

I think Nuala has them on her Spitfire and I'm pretty sure Nick J has them on his Vitesse.

I actually went for 165/80 instead of 175/70, purely to up the final drive ratio a tad. It needed a slight bit of tin bashing on the front bulkhead for clearance, but I'm very pleased with them.

Must say Nicks vitesse was brilliant at Castlke Combe in the pouring rain on the SN832's. But they may not be idea for autosolos? Not sure as you almost need 2 sets of tyres!

I am looking to put some narrower tyres on the Toledo, probably 165/70 and will be fitting the Falkens or possibly Uniroyals, depending on availability. (Narrower as the steering is a tad heavy with 185 tyres when in town/parking etc. So Gill tells me)

SN832 are what I fitted some years ago and they are excellent. However, mine went rather hard after a few autosolos and they're only rated to 118mph (the Herald was going 120 at the end of Goodwood straight, with a slipping clutch). I've fitted a set of Hancooks now and I don't like them anywhere near as much. But they are rated for 130mph, which is the only reason for fitting them.

It's  Falken all the way for me, if suitable. Plus back then they only cost £30 a corner!

Quoted from sparky_spit-

Have a look at Falken Sincera SN832 tyres.  They have a good reputation, especially in the wet. I've found them to be very good for rattling though the lanes on night rallies in the wet: probably the best tyres I've ever had. Good value too.

I think Nuala has them on her Spitfire and I'm pretty sure Nick J has them on his Vitesse.

I actually went for 165/80 instead of 175/70, purely to up the final drive ratio a tad. It needed a slight bit of tin bashing on the front bulkhead for clearance, but I'm very pleased with them.

Nick J does have them on his Vitesse -and on his GT6 now as well, though less thoroughly tested on that.

They are quite superb in the wet.  We've done two soaking wet track days with them and were able to stay with stuff that should have left us for dead. As proven when we finally got a dry track day and did get left for dead......

In the dry, they are less impressive, though improving as they wear down.  Quite squirmy (soft trad and sidewalls) and seem to hop a little rather than sliding cleanly.  You wouldn't notice on the road unless you were being very silly.....

This is what happens on dry track days - just to prove we were trying!  Oil temperature @ 134ºC after 15 mins too

Nick

• 4 months later...

I had a set of Rainexpert 3 tyres on my GT6, only did a few hundred miles on them before I sold the car, very good in the wet, on rough road surfaces okay in the dry if a little squirmy but suspect that to improve as they wear down. As a road tyre I will be fitting them again to my other GT6, good price too, I paid £33 fitted for mine but believe £45 is the more normal price now.

• 5 months later...

I'd torch the car before I put anything Chinese made on it. Least of all a tyre. 

I've recently purchased the Continental Eco Contact 6 and can safely state it is superior to the Michelin Energy tyres (no longer available btw) in 175/70 R13. Lower rolling resistance and equivalent wet grip.

£50 a tyre posted to me.