Body removal from chassis

Adrianb

Hi just acquired 1968 Herald 1360 convertible which has been in a front garden since 1995 rotting away it would not look out of place in the flint stones!

Acomplete restoration is required so we thought we would remove the body from the chassis so as to access the chassis then start rebuilding.Is there any instruction procedure to follow so we don’t struggle too much. Just to make the project interesting I have just been registered severely sight impaired so not too much small print

many thanks Adrian 

gooday to you all hope you are all staying safe. here are a few of the first pictures of the restoration project.i will give you a few hours to stop laughing.we have removed the doors bonnet wheels and interior and hav managed to easly turn the engine over so maybe some hope.im starting with stripping it down to the chassis then rebuilding then dealing with the engine.i am aware that i need to do something with the cylinder head as the last time it run was 1995 before unleaded petrol was introduced.luckily i do have a little experience of triumphs as my dad had a 1971 triumph 1300 and a dolomite sprint and i had a1964 spitfire.

For a car that has been in a garden for 25 years it is in very good condition, there are ones that have been on the road in last year or so that are worse.

just clean the engine and change the oil, don’t worry about doing anythinG to it.Well not until you have driven the car. Well someone driven it, you did mention your own eyesight is not quite so good now.

As my eye sight is poor i can put everything back on and find a castle 30 miles away and check it out I will cable type my white stick to the front so I can socially distance as well!
i will have a go see what happens Big Dom rules

Hi Adrian , The body should come off easily ,with just kick or two  - then start by replacing whats left of the chassis with a newly restored one , then replace the body tub , the bulkhead and the bonnet and replace the engine.I would also suggest new valances and a new soft top , you could have it done in a month !

Many thanks

i m now getting a basic plan together all I need now is to convince the bank off wife it’s a good idea I mean investment!  I tube is helping a lot now and I have been told by my daughter to have it ready for next april 23 st grarhrs day for our local village fete.

If you really are considering removing the body you'll need to think about reinforcing the door openings and other bits to prevent the whole lot collapsing in a pile at your feet. Sorry if I sound negative but you're opening the door for a lot of grief. Have you thought about trying to find another body. Good luck with whatever you do.

Tony.

I would try to add some new metal or bracing to the bodywork before removing it from the chassis.  If both the body and chassis are rusty to the point of missing important reference points you need to proceed carefully.

You need to think with the body removed how will you ensure the out riggers go back in the correct place? How will you get the wings repairs to line up off the frame?

• 6 months later...

there are dimensional chassis drawings in the workshop manuals 

the body comes off in two parts  the separation is the  bolted seam under the seats 

two people can lift the bulkhead  or the rear quite easily 

no need to support door apertures as when separated there is no structure needing support 

apart from rotten bits hanging off .

dont forget to disconnect any seat belts and the handbrake cables 

dont forget the two mounts in the boot diff mount x member 

you need disconnect  or break/split  the  tail harness 

places like the A post base and body mounts will be shot , new floor pans do not have a full 

pressed finish so the A post and sill needs a lot of  forming its not a straight swap panel 

Pete

• 2 months later...