Did anyone else encounter the radar trap at the end of a village, possibly in Wales (everything was getting a bit blurred by then), during the night. Didn't show on our Sat-Nav, nor as a fixed camera on the Road Angel, but the Angel went mad for the whole length of the village, and as soon as it stopped bleeping madly at us we looked back and there were 2 shadowy figures hunched behind a wall or hedge.

It must have been an older technology radar gun to have produced that response, so I was wondering if it was an MSA check point. It was a prime candidate village to have hammered through as it was long and wide and sweeping.

Just wondering.

Colin

I got flashed in Wales (i think) by a camera facing towards us which was nice *blinded* (good luck spotting my stuck on downward-angled reg plate people!). We wondered if it was just a 'glitch'. It was a peek or truvelo type jobbie. Also not on our TomTom. I hope nothing comes through.

There's a rearward facing camera on the Fosse way which I've triggered many times driving towards it. It's happened with a few other old-type speed cameras too. The technology in these isn't advanced, they are easily confused by vehicles travelling in the oppsote direction.
Cheers,
Bill.

On Sky last night, 'Car Wars' (another 'Stop Police Action Camera' clone) , showed a sequence where the police car crew were commenting as they followed a perp, that though his number plate was easily readable by eye, the characters were invisible on their TV monitor!  The monitor picture was shown at the same time, and although the number plate is often blanked in these shows, this looked quite different, not a blurred oval but as if there were no numbers and letters on a normal plate.

I've heard of this, seen it advertised,, but always thought it was a scam!
   It DOES work!
And, of course, is completely illegal.

But HOW does it work?
John

Its a filter that slightly changes the wavelength of infrared light to make it appear as white light therefore 'hiding' anything behind.
To see the same effect point your TV remote at a digital camera or camera phone and press a button - you can then see the infrared beam. Trade trick to test if batteries OK in a remote - other uses involving CCTV cameras but best not go into that ;)
Science lesson over - Frday mode on.

The don't work basically! There are lots of different types but none are completely foolproof. The makers claim they work but very few are actually tested on Gatsos cameras. The best source of info on stuff like this is http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/index.htm because they conduct proper tests on the stuff with help from the Police. Just looking at it they say there is one type of number plate that works but it says it has to be placed as high up as possible. Not much use on my Spitfire!

But they do bl**dy work!
Two police officers saw a numbered plate by eye, and a blank one by video camera.
They followed and acosted the driver as a result.

How is the remote test significant?  All I see is a little glow in the lens of the remote,when by eye I see nothing.  No glare or blanking of the camera screen.

John

I got a bloomin ticket through yesterday ...A9  perth to inverness road ...can't believe it ...was so carefull this time as i picked one up last time...only prob is we can't remember who was driving at the time...having changed so many times while changing batteries ...don't even remember getting flashed

Bummer.....

You should be within your rights to say you can not say who was driving as you honestly can not remember, explaining why you kept swapping, and ask for a copy of the photo.

If you need any assistance, let me know and I can put you in contact with my co-driver who is a lawyer with an interest in motoring law. (He managed to get an apology from the Essex Chief Constable after being stopped 83 times in a year in their attempts to catch him out!)

Cheers

Colin

Yep ,Bill it was there...the prob is we genuinley can't remember who was driving ...i rang them up for a copy of the photo but they said it wasn't clear so no good ...there is a bit on the form to send back to say  you didn't know who was driving so i'll do that with a covering letter to explain the curcumstances and see how we get on

Chatting to Scott yesterday he said he remembered seeing a flash around there and as we were far enough behind you had time to slow down.  Did Katie get a ticket too or just you?

Hope they accept your genuine reason, and if they do anything its just a 'caution' with no points etc.

[quote by=doug_foreman link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160639682,s=20 date=1161610815]Yep ,Bill it was there...the prob is we genuinley can't remember who was driving ...i rang them up for a copy of the photo but they said it wasn't clear so no good ...there is a bit on the form to send back to say  you didn't know who was driving so i'll do that with a covering letter to explain the curcumstances and see how we get on[/quote]

Doug

Sounds like a bit of legal advise might be in order, as do they not have to prove who was driving, and by asking you, they get their answer.

Or is it the case now that the owner gets the points/fine if they can't pin it on anyone else.

The offer is still there for me to put you in touch with my co-driver.

Cheers

Colin

[quote by=doug_foreman link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160639682,s=20 date=1161610815]Yep ,Bill it was there...[/quote]

I reckon that's about the only place on A9 you can reckon on the camera being more or less permanently working. A lot of bad accidents at that junction before the cameras went up. Pretty sneaky with the placement as well -- going north the camera's towards the end of the 50mph limit, not sure about going south.

Thats really unlucky Doug, hope you can get it sorted out!

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160639682,s=10 date=1161379294]But they do bl**dy work!
Two police officers saw a numbered plate by eye, and a blank one by video camera.
They followed and acosted the driver as a result.
John[/quote]

Sorry, should have been clearer. They work with a normal camera or a video camera, both of which can be easily overwhelmed by a lot of light reflecting back. If you've ever used an early digital camera with the flash of you'll see some really washed out images, especially if the thing you were taking a picture of was reflective.

Also the resolution is very low on video so its pretty easy for a lot of light reflection to mask the registration (cos you will see, say 50 white pixels and only one black pixel so it'll all look white)

Gatsos are film cameras so the resolution is infinitly better and when they get the photo it takes them about 8 seconds to use the computer to invert the colours and use filters to work out what the numbers are. Then they do you for attempting to pervert the course of justice as well!

[quote by=willcolumbine link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160639682,s=24 date=1161633852] ... Gatsos are film cameras so the resolution is infinitly better ... [/quote]

Real top quality Dutch  product ....  ::)
Shame Maurice Gatsonides didn't use his knowledge in inventing something more usefull. Make nice torches though, it seems  ;D

Archived