timbancroft61 wrote:
I am a firm believer in two crew members, I did the 05 10CR 3 up and found it boring as I was'nt driving enough.

Same here. I did my first RBRR in 1998 with 3 up in a 2500S Saloon. Loved the event but wore I would never do a 3 again...............I found it a little boring. Much prefer the challenge of 2.

SpitBang wrote:
Partly depends on the car used, with a saloon or estate I reckon three is ideal. That way one person can sleep in the back if they need, with the navigator up font, who the driver can prod if snoozing to get directions.
Also has the benefit of spreading the fuel costs.

Colin and I have found that 3 works well - for all of the reasons above!

It has to be two for me... two in a saloon is easier than two in a Spit/GT6 - so there is even less reason.

Basic fact is, you can do it with two quite easily if you manage your sleep/rest time properly - three is an extravagance whatever car - especially in a big saloon when it's twice as comfy.

I have found that the event is not as difficult as I first found it. I supose the stress of making sure that I am on the right roads for the my first RBRR was difficult. Now I more or less know the way (Should do as I recce with Nigel A any new sections!) I do not worry about getting lost.

The danger of course now is that I don't physically or mentally prepare as well to do the event, i.e. get enough sleep!

People who you want to get to sponsor you don't realise that the hardest part of the RBRR is the mental and thus physical fatigue.

They seem to think because you are 'simply' driving for 48 hours solid it is somehow easy! ::)

The Sunday night is the hardest.  Saturday night you are high on adrenaline.  This is 'dangerous' in that you find it really hard to sleep, and this sets you up for the serious fatigue Sunday night.

The main thing is have a comfy reclining passenger seat.  I loved doing the RBRR last year with just one co-driver, however we wouldn't have completed it without the help of Doug and Katie and their Herald and being able to catch 40 winks on the back seat of that.

As a newbie I didn't know what to expect, either in how to prepare, or indeed to expect the serious fatigue that overwhelms you for a short period.  You can get through it, but it's a tough couple of hours.

If you're a newbie either do it in a team of three, or have a team of two, but hook up with someone who has experience and can give you hints and tips on how to prepare.

Now I know what to expect I'm happy that I will be suitably prepared this time, and will have briefed my newbie to the RBRR co-driver, too. :)

Interesting responses, thanks.

To be honest, I see the RBRR as being more about my car doing the trip, not me.  I seem to spend half my life driving around the country anyway, 1000 miles in a weekend is not unusual.  Just the 600 miles this weekend - a quiet one!!

I'd be quite happy not to drive at all, but just to lounge about in the back of the 2000 and admire the scenery, look at the girls in Minis etc.  I must be getting old but I quite enjoy being a passenger these days!

For your first RBRR, 3 is not such a bad idea to be honest. Us seasoned guys can do it with 2 because apart from the odd new bit of route from Tim, we know the route off-pat now.

I maught suggest 3 for the first time, but I vet you'll come back in 2010 doing it as a 2!

Also I think Craig, Dave and I will probably end up going along in convoy-ish, you're more than welcome to join in a make a forth.............

Got to be three for me, I find it benefits the quality of rest you get (asuuming that the driver, when your sleeping isn't driving it like Tony Pond stole IT!)

I used to do 60.000+ per year but over the last seven years down to about 12.000, and getting to be an old fart, can't just handle it like I used too.

I also vote for a crew of 3.  Part of a 3 man crew last time.  For me it's about safety.  Also since 2 of us are from America we want a local.  Not only for route knowledge but Keith and I feel it's only fair and the right thing to raise money for the charity.  The 3rd member selected will be required to try to raise as much as he/she can.  Plus we are graveyard shift workers and need someone who can stay awake during the daytime.  Since Ash was kind and gave me a ride last time (the only way I could have gone)  I want to give something back by taking a club member that can only go if given a ride.  HeraldHabitat you are younger than I so just who is the old fart?

roger_saunt wrote:
In 1998 our first rbrr just me and the wife but we were completely knackered at the end, since then we have always done it as a family and always been 4 up, its not so bad we always seem to get some sleep and it also gives you time to see some of the scenery

The first one I did, I too was knackered - but it was kind of a lesson in how to do an RBRR - learnt from that one and now it's not half as knackering.

I still reckon the best (non car) training you can have is a small baby who demands breastfeeding feeding at all hours. You soon learn to sleep at any opportunity and function when awake whether tired or not (although driving when tired is clearly stupid). I wasn't bothered about the lack of sleep on the run at all for a first timer last year as a result.

My vote is for 3 if you have the room as the stretch to Cornwall and back to London is very hard as the adrenalin pump is broken by then and I have to admit I was a very grumpy boy when my longest stretch of sleep was broken after an hour. I think a lot depends on the weather as hopefully I will get to see the nicer bits of Scotland without torrential rain next time . If you have a spirited driver the run back from Thurso is so brilliant to drive it could cause some problems. The multi driver teams all seemed happier towards the end of the run but having done two (O.K Tim, one and a third!) with just two drivers it becomes a camraderie thing and you work off one another.

Darren

Archived