Slimboyfat wrote:

It's not like the Lands End Job Centre is fit to burst with  Michelin star chef's, and catering staff trained by Gordon Ramsey. Hang on though if that argument rang true why were things so good at the other end of the Isles (JOG)?

Perhaps not actually at Lands End, but if it's Michelin stars and trained chefs you want, there's always the Seafood Restaurant at RickSteinograd, sorry, Padstow.
How about it, next time?
Mr.Stein might like the idea!
http://www.rickstein.com/Restaurants-and-Shops.html

John

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JohnD wrote:

Perhaps not actually at Lands End, but if it's Michelin stars and trained chefs you want, there's always the Seafood Restaurant at RickSteinograd, sorry, Padstow.
How about it, next time?
Mr.Stein might like the idea!
http://www.rickstein.com/Restaurants-and-Shops.html

John

Do they do fry-ups?

Blyth: Always brilliant

Ed. Airport: I thought it was ok, apart from having to mop up some oil that someones car had left!!

JOG: Excellent.

Conon Bridge: Same as usual.

Morrisons: Excellent stop.

Lancaster: Eye opening.

Gledrid: Spoilt by the weather and pump mix ups by some crews: BP need to sort out their 'Ultimate' petrol and diesel markings.

Gordano: Standard Gordano, everyone is so knackered so its hard to be objective.

LE: Umm!

Sennen was included because of the RNLI station. I thought it was appropriate that we visited a lifeboat station-national charity, national run etc. And I wanted to guarantee that all crews visited within a narrow time frame: We could not go to the RNLI station at Thurso as its very near the car ferry port.

Badgers Holt: I thought it was excellent. As for running out of food, it was not supposed to be a food stop. I was one of the last vistors and had a cuppa. No issues.

Pimperne: No need to state the obvious.

Didcot: Well I thought it was great of the TR Reg to open its doors to us-Club unity etc. Excellent stop.

The Plough: Quality as usual.

As a first time marshall although I enjoyed my stop at Lancaster I hope we can improve for 2010.

I won't be doing the RBRR that year as, hopefully I will have completed the Manx rally and Tour of Flanders but that means I can put some thought into the "Lancaster" halt.

I reckon a motorway service area is all very well but it would be good if we can find somewhere with a bit more atmosphere as long as it isn't too far off route. I'll give some thought to that.

I also think it would be good if we could have some local P&P members there as "supporters" cheering people in etc - I'll see what we can do

Now that's a good one - Wensleydale cheese factory perhaps?

Might be a routing issue tho.

then there was that cheese maker at Garstang - maybe they could accomodate us.

Or there's supposed to be great fish and chips at Fleetwood :-/

Terry Wogan used to have a country and western joke about Preston too - never actually got that one but maybe ther's something we could do ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Hummm  :-/  Am I the only one who thought Badgers Holt was gonna be a lunch stop (think)

Last time the Dartmore Lodge had a nice lunch for us (drool) Or was I still asleep (dissappointed)

Let's see:  In 06 one stop shudda had food but nope.   Airport
                In 08 one stop some thought shudda had food but nope.   Badgers Holt

Do I see a pattern here?  

In 06 Some thought Morrisons ran outa pie's
                In 08 Lands End "DID" run out of FOOD!

In 06 No floor show at Lancaster
                In 08 Floor Show!

All in All Great Fun:  I know all things will go right in 10  ??)  
Hay, Tim will get something better to look at Lancaster next time (clap)

As an RBRR entrant and a Lancastrian, proud as Punch about the magnificant Forton Services  :-/, what do you mean by, "something better to look at Lancaster next time"?   It's a middle-of-the-night stop, by all the gods.  What do you want to see there?

If you and Tim really want a floor show, I can get you Lancastrian dancing girls (clogs 'n' nowt else), black pudding hurling games, even EckyThump demonstrations,  but no dog racing, the whippet is a bit tired.

Me, I'll just stuff a meat pie down me gob, have drink of tea and it'll be onwards to Lands End!

John

Hold On, JohnD, I was not knocking Lancaster!  (Ok the service behind the counter was quite slow)  Assume you missed the bus load of strange girls who were their when some of us were.   It's a running joke about their actions and that Tim paid for them to appear using our entry fee.  Some of us just want more if we are gonna pay for it.   By the way those girls were very likely into dog racing.  I think at least one of them could have won!

Goody wrote:
Hold On, JohnD, I was not knocking Lancaster!  (Ok the service behind the counter was quite slow)  Assume you missed the bus load of strange girls who were their when some of us were.   It's a running joke about their actions and that Tim paid for them to appear using our entry fee.  Some of us just want more if we are gonna pay for it.   By the way those girls were very likely into dog racing.  I think at least one of them could have won!

I was too busy pouring espressos down my neck to see anything at Forton.
Let alone dog racing girls.
If they looked like that then they would be from Yorkshire.

John

Archived