• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pimperne for cakes!! :)

However it must be said JOG is great the staff are so friendly,they really cant do enough to help.They're all smiles and the breakfast is so welcome on the saturday morning,really 100% opposite to lands end.

Morrisons were very nice as well as were the tr register in didcot.....

But pimperne for cakes and a proper cup of coffee and served with a smile.
It has to be said the applause as you drive in to pimperne makes you feel very special 8)

Alex

MWG445 wrote:
Just got to be Pimperne.

Not just for the cakes but the applause from the spectators as you approached the car park.

Just the thing to lift your weary spirits.

No where else came close to the enthusiasm shown by all those at Pimperne.

Jim.

Have to agree fantastic reception (and great cakes and tea...). I wanted to leave and come back in again just for the reception!

Mind you Lancaster(?) had a better floor show.... and certainly woke me up but some of it was more like a horror show...........
Just dont see 'young' ladies like that in Cambridge.....

mike

BTW who organised the Pimperne stop?

No1 Pimperne For the fab cakes and the ego boosting applause as we drove in, it really lifted our spirits
Joint No2 JOG Staff had big smiles and were fantastic
Joint No2 Morrisons Again a nice smile and Scotch pies..............yum yum
No4 Lancaster services for the laydee's............................Oh and to see Raider too ;)

timbancroft61 wrote:
... surely the most picturesque?

That was Land's End this year  :P

1st indeed Pimperne for obvious reasons, very closely followed by JOG.

No disrespect for all the other controls/volunteers as they all did a fantastic job  ;)

Mike,

Pimperne is run by the Southern Area of the Club. For many years this LG used to camp on a corner at Coombe Blissett near Salisbury and applaud the cars as they came through, I thought this was marvellous. So for 2004 I decided that the Southern Group should have its own stop. John Payne and John Snook took this idea on and produced the stop at Avon Heath Country Park near Bournemouth. OK, but a bit lacking in atmosphere. For 06 they found the Pimperne Village Hall and found the Stop of the event in 06, looks like it was the best of 08.

Little bit of RBRR history:
1971 Round Britain Tour; Suggested stops at the following locations-No Marshals though:
Start: Broadfields Garage, Cockfosters
Fortes Autogrill at Barnesdale on the A1
Bishops Garage, Corbridge
Dicksons Garage, Dunkeld Road, Perth
Helmsdale, A9
Seaview Hotel, JOG
Fort William
Macharg, Rennie and Lindsay Garage, Glasgow
Knutsford Service Station, M6
Bristol
Lands End Hotel
Motor Macs, Exeter
Finish: Broadfields Garage, Cockfosters

1980:
Proper Controls and signatures required.
Seaview Hotel, JOG
MacRae and Dick, Dingwall
Parkhall Service Station, Glasgow
Gordano Services
Lands End Hotel
Fleet Services

1990:
Blyth Granada Services, A1
Seaview Hotel, JOG
MacRae and Dick, Dingwall
Morrison's Garage, Stirling
Gordano Services
Lands End Hotel
Dartmoor Lodge, Ashburton
Cloverleaf Garage, A30, Basingstoke

1998:
Start: The Plough, Crews Hill (First used in 1994).
Blyth Services
Edinburgh Airport
Perth Services
Thrumster Garages, A9
Seaview Hotel, JOG
MacRae and Dick, Inverness
Morrisons Garage, Stirling
Gordano Services
Lands End Hotel
Dorchester Honda, B3147
Fleet Services
Finish: The Plough, Crews Hill

2004:
Start: The Plough, Crews Hill
Blyth Services
Edinburgh Airport
Perth Services
Seaview Hotel, JOG
The Conon Hotel, Conon Bridge
Morrisons Garage, Stirling
Oswestry Services
Gordano Services
Lands End Hotel
Dartmoor Lodge, Ashburton
Avon Heath Country Park, near Bournemouth
Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit
Finish: The Plough, Crews Hill

Its always evolving! This year we had 15 stops, I am hoping for 17 next time.

Anyone know of a decent stop between Blyth and Edinburgh Airport and one between Ed Airport and JOG, let me know!

As this was our first we dont really have a pint of reference but:

1. Pimperne for cakes and Applause
2. JOG for excellent breakfast and service
3. Badgers Holt for lovely settings and the hill on exit  :)
4. TR Reg at Didcot - well needed brew!

Gledrid seemed cramped and tricky parking in with lorries and I felt sorry for those who missed brekky at Lands End.

Pimperne is first on my list for the cakes and most of all the GREAT ladys who run the stop.  They go out of their way to be sure we enjoy it.  The many friends, fans and this year family of my crew who showed up.  

JOG is a very close 2nd as the service and the people make it a fantastic stop.  

All the rest execpt 3 make my list for a close 3rd this year.  

The 3 worst and last on my list are Edinburgh, Lancaster and Lands End!  All for slow bad service.
The 2 at Edinbourgh were slow, got even my black coffee order wroung and the girl could not make change.  About the same for the counter help at Lancaster.   Where did they get these people?

Last time Lands End was a good stop.  This year my team and I were amoung the first 30 served the service sucked!  Sorry it Sucked!  The 2 serving stoped after about the first 10 or so and took a coffee, smoke brake.   When they returned even I could tell they did not want to serve that many people.  Also I understand the showers were not open this time.   I did not think the toilet's were clean, unlike last year.

As much as food and drink is important at stops most important to me is a clean restroom!  Hay, I'm OLD!

I think some of you might agree Lands End last time was ok and I guess it was just this year things went bad.   I would hate to see Lands End not  be on the route as this is what the RBRR is allabout.  
I also assume it might be hard to find a place big enough for us anywhere close by it.   At times their is a trade off and not much can be done.  You do the best you can with what you got!

It is hard to pick one for a award though as stops like Cannon Bridge and Morrisons go above and beyound for us.   I hope stops like JOG, Cannon Bridge, Morrisons, and the like get a thank you form the club.  

Of course this year Lancaster get's a special award along with Tim for arrangement of the floor show!
I only hope next time Tim picks the talent long before he has so much BEER!

Lancaster is also where I got to meet Raider face to face.  

Got to be Pimperne, at that point in the run their enthusiasm alone will get you to the finish.
Morrisons: I had soup this year from the ever friendly volunteers.
JOG staff, early morning smiles are always welcome.
Many apologies to the gentleman at Lancaster who recognised me, and I now realise must have been 'Raider'.
I was at a bit of a low ebb but should have had a bit of a chat. I'm usually a bit more switched on.

I got dead nervous as approaching Pimperne. Everybody cheering at us - thought ther was something wrong with the car!!!  Very nice cakes though :)

Best stop has to be JOG though closely followed by Pimperne.

I did not find Lands End as bad as some people say. Well, the weather was crap really, but the staff  smiled to me as they gave me a nice plate of bacon and eggs. Nothing to compålain about there really.

Cheers
Nick

Quote:
Anyone know of a decent stop between Blyth and Edinburgh Airport and one between Ed Airport and JOG, let me know!

Scotch Corner Services or even the Scotch Corner Hotel which used to be a stop on the Monte Carlo Concentration Run from Glasgow in the fifties and sixties could be viable.

There's also a tearoom/cafe type establishment on the A68 at Byrness just before the border who have opened late for motoring events in the past.

Not sure whether a stop is needed between Edinburgh and John O'Groats.  We took the opportunity to have an uninterupted sleep taking turns on the long haul north.  It's not as if there are any shortcuts available and the roads are superb north of Perth.

If you are keen for a stop, the Atholl Arms in Blair Atholl is owned by a petrolhead, Chris Tomlinson, who used to compete fairly regularly in classic rallies up here in one of his Reliant Scimitars.  It was also used as a stop, very late in the evening, on the 1999 1000 Mile Reliability Trial organised by the Royal Scottish Automobile Club.

Jim.

Didn't have any cake so can't be swayed by that. ;)

But for the enthusiasm at the stop it has to be Pimperne. When you get there it's almost as if you're finishing the event as everyone applauds you. Then you realise you still have a way to go.

Pimperne is excellent. It's great that so many people turn up in their Triumphs to cheer us on. And the cakes are to die for.

Badger's Holt was better than the other Dartmoor stop last time, more picturesque and much easier to park. Service at JOG was great and the shower welcomed. Slept through Gordano entirely so no comment, and was only just conscious at Gledrid.

The Seaview Hotel staff did an excellent job. I was worried that they would struggle with the number of people but they couldn't have been more helpfull and efficient. Before I got to my seat they were greating me and taking my order.
Pimperne was excellent, it was good to meet up with Southern members and the cakes were great.
I enjoyed Sennen as well and getting a chance to meet the lifeboat people and hear about what they do. I was struggling a bit to think of intelligent questions to ask them after drivng all night.
Stirling was good this year as well, I don't know what they put in those pies but it's always a moment to savour!
Conon Bridge was good as well and the marshalls deserve a mention for their hard work getting everyone parked.

Keith

I, too, will add to the praises for Pimperne and vote this as my favourite stop. The support as we arrived was fantastic and, as we were towards the tail-endof the "pack", it was great to catch up with all the other Triumphs. We really appreciated the cup(s) of tea and cake(s) especially since the Lands End stop was so miserable.

Close second behind Pimperne was Seaview Hotel. Once again, their hospitality was generous - a terrific cooked breakfast with plenty of tea, coffe and toast (can you hear this Lands End) ?? and plenty of rooms to "freshen up" in (can you hear this Lands End) ??

Then, for me, it was Sennen Cove - a picturesque coastal town and the tour of the RNLI station for me underlined what it was all for.

Worst stop. Lands End - no food, no facilities, no staff.

But at ALL stops - brilliant support from the marhalls and ocassional supporters. Big thanks to everyone involved with the whole event

You're right Keith, I forgot Sennen. We were there far too long chatting to Mr RNLI about the boat and his job and stuff. Never mind a 10 minute stop, we must have been there 30. Probably set us at the back of the pack for the rest of the route, but it was interesting and important and visibility was better than Lands End! :)

Archived