Well said Doug - in an ideal world we'd all be well prepared, life would be certain and there'd be no surprises. In the real world people change their minds, lose jobs, blow up cars, move house, etc, etc.

All we need is a full entry at the start and an undertaking to notify changes quickly and completely. We're not saying don't make changes, just don't leave it to the last minute. Sauntering up to one of the organisers at the start and saying, in response to the question What happened to the Spit you entered - "Ah yes I sold that 6 moths ago" is liable to be a tad annoying  :-/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim: You do what you gotta do.  While I understand the problems with over 100 entrants I would hate to see less then 100.  Shame those who realy want to go get left out.   I don't know if I will do the next but I have car and team just in case.  

As one of last years non-finishers (car was fine - just I cannot recognize a diesel pump!) I want to have another go next year.

Car is OK, co-driver is arranged, but is there any way that those of us living abroad can obtain an entry form at the same time as it goes out in the club magazine?

Talking to my Dad on the phone a moment ago, he has been discussing our plan to do the RBRR next year with a friend of his. After telling him that it was around 2000 miles, my Dad's friensaid that it sounded like a fantastic trip and asked if the club arranged all the accommodation as well!!!!!!

My Dad then explained that there was no time for stop overs when you are doing it in 48hrs. His friend assumed this was covering a busy fortnight away!

I then reminded my Dad that we would have approx 150miles before the start and after the finish too getting to and from Enfield.
'Isn't it a shame that you can't start and finish at the nearest checkpoint to where you live' was my Dad's reply, forgetting that he will also need to do just over 200miles to join me in the first place! But he and my Mum are retired so they have no real pressures on their time.

I was not making this as a valid suggestion, as I don't want people knocking on my door in the middle of the night putting 'the frighteners' on me, I bet Tim and the other organisers already have a logistical nightmare on their hands as it is. :)

Cheers Colin.

Great idea though isn't it!

timbancroft61 wrote:
It would be nice, but not very easy to run.
It would almost certainly mean Marshals working for the whole w'end at each control, also entrants would not get to see other cars and entrants-which is a massive part of the event.

I agree with you whole heartedly Tim, my Dad hadn't thought of the implications, and I suggested it in a purely tongue in cheek manner.

Cheers Colin.

AlanChatterton wrote:
Quite a few people who live far away book into a hotel for Sunday night.............

On friday, its easy to get down to the start, but on Sunday night the drive home is the WORST part of it.

Just been on multimap and it reckons 167miles from crews hill to my house, you may well have exactly the right idea there Alan. Could be the straw that broke the camel's back!

Colin.

What about running it as a 2-lap event, but everybody only does 1 lap.

A control car (Tim would be ideal for this job as he doesn't have much to do usually) sets off from The Plough, and as he goes round the country everybody joins in at the nearest route point to their home as Tims car goes past. They then complete 1 full lap and finish at their start point again. The control car would end up doing 4000 miles in 96 hours, but that can be lived with. The hard-core can start at the Plough and do the full 2 laps as well to show what heroes they are.

All the cars will be travelling with others at some point. Marshalls would know when to be at their posts as it would be running to a timetable, actually tighter timings than is usual.

There, I think that answers all the concerns that Tim Raised.

Sorted

:-)

Colin

Theobalds Park Hotel was excellent after last year's run.

Only 3 or 4 miles from the Plough and just off the A10.

They did a very good rate for Sunday night.

400 miles was just a wee bit too far to go after the finish.

Stayed at the Pendle & Pennine base at Kelbrook on the way down - pleasant drinking company added to the ambience. :)

Jim.

Some might remember that, That Chinn and That Flying Pig were to have a Atlas Camper on the last one.  They were to have drinks and cooked for all of us while on the run.  They were also to have a porta-potty for all of us.  Now if one tow's a camper then we expect the same!  Don't tell all the camper tow'ers we saw that one can't tow in Scotland!  Sheep Dip and all!

Think on it;  Each time the Atlas borke down, Free Food and Drink for All >:(

Archived