Just typed the first of the 200 or so letters and e-mails that the RBRR team will be sending out before and after the October 2010 event.

This one has gone to the Charity we hope to use. No clues as yet as I need to see them and agree that we can support them.

Remember that the Event is 'Announced' and opened for entries with the publication of the November issue of 'Club Torque'- approx 15th - 20th of the month.

We have some new ideas for this time, mostly concerning the route and stops we will be using. The event will not feature as many entrants, 19 retirements from 110no. starters was an eye opener.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slowly replacing the bits that didn't give trouble last time.

So, a bit of advance preparation then.

Unlike 2008 when I got the car back from the garage the night before we set off.

Must remember to replace the spare tyre though.

Got back home after the last time to find that it had a puncture and would have been useless!

Can't wait to go round again!

Already planning fuel stops and driver changeover points.

Jim.

PS  When do entries open? ;)

Not sure where the rumours of early entry for some started?

Entries have always been opened in strict order of arrival. I have never received an entry before the announcement in the mag, I know it was the same for Jason last time. The classic statement I always get is, 'Reserve me a place and I'll send the cheque in due course'. We never take any notice of this request, entry places are taken on a democratic order, no preference for anyone.

As previously mentioned we will ask that all Entrants send the entry form fully completed, forms with TBA will be put onto a 'Reserve' list. Other organisations do not tolerate this, and I see no reason why we should. Therefore members of CT who want to take part next year, should be casting their net to find someone now, not in a years time. This new method will hopefully mean less work for us as we will not have to chase around trying to get entry details from entrants in the last month leading up to the event, this sucks up valuable time that should be spent sorting other aspects of the event.

Blimey, I sound like a whinging git, however these are the rules and I hope everyone will respect the thought process behind them.

Tim,

Putting TBA on the co-drivers section is due to having to persuade someone over a few months to "take up the challenge"!

Not for trying to give you problems.

Does this mean TBA in the co-drivers section will put me on the reserve list?

Must start thinking up a few names to satisfy this new criteria. ;)

G. P. Barr sometimes known as "Girvan Pinwherry Barr" comes to mind.

A fine old gentleman if a bit hard to get a cheque off him.

Google him for more information and a great wee story if you find it.

Jim.

I think the main thing I have learned doing the RBRR entry is that you should never accept a promise of an entry from anyone, I never have. I learned that usually the longer serving and more visible the person is, the less likely it is they will cough up on time!

Club "Regulars" (like me) are the worst of the lot for providing paperwork, forms, details, cash so if anyone thinks club officers get favours I'd have to say the complete opposite is true. The ideal entrants are the newbies who conscientiously fill in every detail on the form, send the full fee and never change anything, turning up to the start with the car and crew they said they would be with! Heaven :-)

As for accepting an entry before the opening date, I must point out that it's difficult enough keeping up to date with genuine entries, to introduce a back door is madness. My dear wife even went to the trouble of numbering the envelopes in the order in which she picked them up from the door mat - OK so entry No 8 was a bill from Canley Classics and No 24 was a sticker I'd ordered from eBay but you get the idea.

Tim's absolutely right, the number of entries with incomplete details is a pain, in a perfect world I would be processing an entry once and once only. Some entries get amended several times before the start and whilst situations change it would be nice to at least start with a "full house".

My final plea is for full contact info, mobile phone and email addresses. Oh and give me an email address I can actually use, not some secret email address that no one else can ever know please! I will use it and I will share it with other entrants, it's part of what goes to creating a community. Make an email address on something like Hotmail if you don't want the world to know your main email. Note that your email address, name and some car details may well find its way into our community. So, you're wanted by the police, owe someone money, are on a special register or are just paranoid then probably best you understand we're a car club not the witness protection program :-)

Sorry rant over, I love you all really, I am looking forward to it, despite some of the hassle I did enjoy being part of the organising team and will do so again!

Jase,

You can't share e-mail addresses that you get on RBRR entry forms with the general or even the Triumph populace.

Data Protection Act and all that.

I can see "names" substituted for TBA - you'll still have the same amount of work to do! :P

My good friend, Hamish McMuckle, can't wait to put his name down! ;)

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:
Jase,

You can't share e-mail addresses that you get on RBRR entry forms with the general or even the Triumph populace.

Sorry, bad use of words, by "Share" I meant "inadvertently put  the email addresses on an email so all addressees can read it, if they can be bothered to" - do I really need to make the entry form into 4 pages, 3 of which are a list of things that might happen if we don't adopt governmental levels of secrecy - oh wait a minute, bad example :-) You know what I mean - we're not selling email addresses to Al Queda, we're just a car club  :-/

If people can just use a "disposable" address then they can stay in control of whatever it is they want to be in control of :-)

I'll try my best to maintain a degree of security but mistakes happen, it's nothing malicious - unless it's you Mc Jim  :P

Jason,

This paranoia thing, is it quite a recent thing that has affected you?

And me?

Malicious?

I wasn't going to mention the Jason C who was looking for a new friend in the personal section of the Gay Times that I happened to pick up in the doctor's waiting room. :P

I was down there having my maliciousness removed under a local anaesthetic. :)

Jim.

Of course some cynical buggers will make up names, but surely they are just embarassing themselves and really not playing the game.

All we, that is Jason, James, Nigel and me want to do is organise a cracking event, but try to ensure that we do not have to give over every spare moment between November 09 and October 2010-simple eh.

MWG445 wrote:

My ar$e.

You can do what you like with personal data, just so long as the person providing it has given consent to what you're going to do to it.

MWG445 wrote:
Not cynical, Tim.

Just like winding the Chinnmeister up! :)

Jim.

(naughty)

I never take you seriously McJim, I've seen you with your wellies on running through the sheep fileds looking for a pretty one - how could I ever hold a grudge :-)

I was trying to get one for you too, Jason.

It's a myth that all Scots are mean.

Besides you had your head in the personal ads. :K)

Craig,

It's usual in MSA competition regulations for a clause stating that the information supplied will be held for sole use to run the event to comply with the Data Protection Act.

I've yet to see a consent form in event regulations where details can be released to third parties.

Besides 99% of folk won't want their personal details including their e-mail addresses bandied about.

If you don't believe me, check out on the Forum how many people have kept their e-mail addresses hidden.

Jim.

It's always a job to get a co-driver (GT6 sized).
So, TBA will get me on the 'reserve' list. I then have to cast my net for someone with the
promise that we MIGHT get a drive???? Yeah I can see that working out.
Maybe just historic Counties in 2010 then.

to comply with the requirements to submit a complete entry form is easy peasy..if you have a def/poss co-driver in mind put their name down, same goes for the car...i have co-driver and car sorted now but there's nothing to say i won't blow the car up a week before or change my mind and take another...i just let the organisers know then.... from the organisers point of view a load of entry forms with TBA on  just means a load of paperwork later..so the request for a complete form from the outset is not unreasonable and certainly not difficult to do...if you want to do the RBRR and don't have a co-driver at mo there is plenty of time to find a poss one before the entries open   and a GT6 sized person ?...that rules me and my mate big colin out ...but we've done it and 10cr in one  ;)

Archived