I fancy doing this little pootle around britain but not this year as the Vitesse isnt on the road yet. But I was just wondering what are the fuel costs for the whole trip. does anyone keep records?
Hopefully next year we will be ready. 8)

I think me and Steve paid around £400 for the 2000 miles in 08 But we came from Manchester to the start and then back again. which is another 400 miles.

Speaking of which, who won the RBRR economical run? I am looking at taking it very easy on this years and try and squeeze some high MPG?  

Having done the RBRR on the last two occasions, I think we spent about £300+ on fuel for the vitesse. The latter time slightly cheaper due to the overdrive gearbox. Does make a big difference. Hope this helps. Good luck with the build. Malc

Ashley Mills won the Economy Run in 2008.

We will not be running that again, not enough people took part. Therefore not worth the trouble. I would rather put the time we would spend on the Eco. Run on some other aspect of the event.

Fuel costs: 2000 miles @ say 30mpg = 67 gallons x £5.50/Gall (£1.20 per litre) = £370.00 plus of course as Rob states travelling to and from the event.

me and my bro tried to get sponsorship from shell just for us, they had none of it, from everyone else we tried, the only success was from Greggs who gave us a �10 voucher for scoff.
There was a big saloon last time with sponsorship decals from a couple of companies, but not big multinationals, though Morrisons donated loyalty fuel card points from entrants to the charity
We spent approaching �300-350 in a 1300 Spit with fuel prices at a similar level to now, like Bobyspit, we had a 600 mile round trip to the start. Spend less if you can avoid caning through various parts of Northumberland, Scotland and Wales...............

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of corporate sponsorship - for the 10CR last year, I wrote to upwards of 50 national companies asking for support - including everyone that I thought we had some vague connection with in terms of product usage.  I even offered that if they wanted to donate "stuff" rather than money, then I would personally put in the cash equivalent instead.  I wrote to tyre manufacturers, oil/petrol suppliers, supermarkets, hotel chains, Lucas etc - and got absolutely zero back.  A small minority wrote to decline, but most simply ignored it altogether.  I got some good donations though from the garage that always does my MOT work, local parts factor etc - which just shows how much more they value their customers than the big National companies do.

• 2 months later...

Just saw this and thought bloody hell if only the GT6 could manage that on the RBRR my wallet would be so much better off.

SEAT Ibiza completes green journey
Ibiza Ecomotive travels from Lands' End to John O'Groats on one tank of fuel
04th August 2010
The Ibiza Ecomotive has proven it can live up to its name! Two people, including the founder and director of the Ibiza Owners Club, Andy Conway have driven a Mk5 Ecomotive from Lands’ End to John O’Groats on one tank of fuel.
Thanks to a frugal 79bhp 1.4-litre TDI engine and a range of aerodynamic tweaks, the Ecomotive boasts official figures of 76.3mpg and CO2 emissions of 98g/km.
That means that normally the 45-litre tank allows a range of 753 miles, with the journey length being a total of 837 miles.
With careful driving, the pair managed an average of 87.3mpg with a high of 93.5mpg and 167 miles left in the tank upon arrival at the finish line.

I got sponsorship out of my company (Nortel) last time, they matched any money I raised £ for £ up to £500, they had a charity sponsor match policy, you just had to write a justification and put it to a committee, no real problem justifying the RBRR was quite easy. ;)

No chance of that this year cos I don't work for them anymore, mainly cos they went bust  ::), obviously sponsoring too many employees doing charity stuff! (Actually that was a drop in the ocean compared to the multi million $ bonuses the fat cat directors were getting!!) :-/

• 1 month later...

In previous years I've thrown caution to the wind and just filled up at any petrol station - typically motorway services. With petrol prices being what they are, I think there's a huge saving to be made. In my area the cost of super unleaded can vary from 115.9 up to a whopping 130.9. I've been registered on the website petrolprices.com for a couple of years and get weekly updates of the petrol stations in my area and what they charge.

Although sat navs might tell you where the nearest petrol stations are when you're running low, they won't tell you the price. For anyone using an iPhone you can now download an app that will tell you where the cheapest fuel is for sale, automatically based on your current location.

Over the course of the event, and with travel to and from the start, you could save yourself the cost of nearly a tank of fuel...

Further details at -

http://www.petrolprices.com/iphone/

In previous years I've thrown caution to the wind and just filled up at any petrol station - typically motorway services. With petrol prices being what they are, I think there's a huge saving to be made. In my area the cost of super unleaded can vary from 115.9 up to a whopping 130.9. I've been registered on the website petrolprices.com for a couple of years and get weekly updates of the petrol stations in my area and what they charge.

Although sat navs might tell you where the nearest petrol stations are when you're running low, they won't tell you the price. For anyone using an iPhone you can now download an app that will tell you where the cheapest fuel is for sale, automatically based on your current location.

Over the course of the event, and with travel to and from the start, you could save yourself the cost of nearly a tank of fuel...

Further details at -

http://www.petrolprices.com/iphone/

Archived