Team 3, Mark and Andy, arrived at Lands End this morning nursing a cracked chassis.  We left the rest of our marshalling duties to Anthony & Sally-Anne Quick and set off back to Redruth with Mark and Andy following.  At St Erth we stopped to help Team 17 and Team 85, lending our spare wheel to the Vitesse.  Mark and Andy were back on the road again after an hour and a half and we hope the bodge gets them home.  Glad to have been able to assist though we missed our breakfast and I have arc eye!

Mark & Andy were still going after Badgers Holt, though somewhat behind schedule.  Car seemed to have a fairly epic oil leak and I suspect Mark may take the "reddest eyes of the weekend" award......  Hope they make it - certainly deserving full marks for effort - along with those who helped them get the car drivable again!

I also had a call from a 13/60 estate owner who'd had a failed rw bearing nr Truro and was looking for an emergency driveshaft...... seems there have been quite few Herald driveshaft failures this time....

Nick

Great to hear they are still making progress.  This really is a test of man and machine.  Mark has to go to work tomorrow for some important meetings - with those red eyes!  We are rooting for them and really hope they make it.  The repair wasn't up to my normal standards but the best we could acheive in the time.

Nick, I couldn't have helped with the Herald driveshaft as I don't carry a spare.  Was that the Herald with the American guy in it?

Looks from the message board as if traffic jams on the M40 are delaying the leaders and could cause more breakdowns yet. :-/

97679 wrote:
I'm not sure which car had any American in it I'm afraid.    

Pat Barber was in Tim Hunt's white TR4 and Bill Goodwin was in Steve Povey's blue Vitesse. Both Pat and Bill are American and over here for the event. I guess you mean Bill, as a Vitesse is nearer in shape (in the dark) than a TR4.

Just got back to Surrey after an 8 hour recovery from the road to Bude.

Exiting a roundabout i had a noise and no drive,i now know this was the shaft spinning in the hub,then the rear wheel,brake drum and the end of the shaft departed into the ditch.

rear quarter knacked,exhaust knacked,brake backplate and various damage underneath.

Gutted i didn`t finish and sorry to Bill Goodwin for his first DNF.

Put the Vitesse away and shut the door for a couple of weeks.
Steve

Delighted (and amazed!) to know Mark and Andy made it to the finish.  So sorry to hear of Steve's bad luck with the Vitesse and hope it can be mended.  The main thing is that all the entrants made it home unscathed, easier to fix cars than people.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Blimey, an epic story. Derek, thanks so much.

Absolutely gutted to hear about Steve's Vitesse. Hope not to bad.

Another RBRR, another glut of sad stories.

Tim

Take heart in that there were many more happy stories than sad.  Many stories of crews and spectators/marshalls helping to keep entrants on the road.  In my case it was Mark's kindness in letting me have his spare drive shaft in scotland that allowed me to finish my first RBRR.

Keith :)

Hi Derek,

As Mark has said we can't thank you and Steph enough. Having managed to complete the event after your assistance it seemed even more of an achievement when we got to the finish.

The full story of our trip is written up in a Blog, it's complete with pictures including you hard at work with the repairs to our car!

http://cook1e.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/an-eventfull-and-challenging-round.html

Hope to catch up with you and Steph sometime in the future at some Triumph related event....

Best Regards,

Andy

Yes it was Steve Povey and I who suffered axle fail just past Lands End.  Ever so sorry for Steve as this was his first time.  While I understand the car suffered some extra damage the important thing is we were not hurt.  Thanks to everyone who stoped and the team in the 3 2000's who gave me a lift back to the Plough.   Steve was a GREAT team mate and all was going well till the BIG BANG.  

Yes it was Steve Povey and I who suffered axle fail just past Lands End.  Ever so sorry for Steve as this was his first time.  While I understand the car suffered some extra damage the important thing is we were not hurt.  Thanks to everyone who stoped and the team in the 3 2000's who gave me a lift back to the Plough.   Steve was a GREAT team mate and all was going well till the BIG BANG.  

2520 wrote:

Is this a rock festival?  If so,we'll be there with the welder! 8)

Triumph weekend with lots of activities and runs out over May Day bank Holiday weekend. It's on a campsite that has been used for many years by the IOW Triumph Club and they have static caravans there for those to posh to camp!

Format is usually somthing like, turn up on Friday and meet up in the campsite bar, convoy out to a local attraction on the Saturday with a Treasure Hunt. Either a live band or disco on the Staurday night. Another convoy out on the Sunday usually to a local mill  museum. large communal Barbeque Sunday afternoon. Sunday evening Quiz night in the bar, Saturday convoy out to a local pub for lunch....

Worth looking at first part of my blog page below from last year to get an idea and see some photo's, always a fun event, I've have been going back year after year since the early 90s....  

http://cook1e.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/3-triumph-weekends-on-trott.html

It would be great to see you and Mrs Grayfox there...