hi all im looking at this run for next year and was just wondering what the cost of total run is meaning fuel/stop overs.

has anyone worked this out as an average amount i am doing my spit mark 4 up.

i might just put a gas tank inplace of a petrol tank in its place i already have my other car converted and get about 300 miles to £25.00 ..

so just wondering the price in fuel..

2000 miles (plus getting to north london to the start and back) at say 30mpg??
approx 70 gallons, £350 at todays price. Plus entry fees, some food etc en route. Total cost in the region of £500.
Of course, some manage to do much better mpg, some a lot worse 8)

i bet it is a good funrun like doing the long distence driving will be something to look forward to next time it starts london i live manchester so got to get there first but willl come to that closer to the time .

i will be clad when i have finnished the car ..

i was just wondering the price i do think im going to convert the car to gas then as 2000 miles would cost about 6 tanks of gas cost about £60 to £90 for the round trip.

did 250 miles that last week for £10  and thats in a 2ltr so think it would be better in my spitty which is only a 1300..

http://www.lpgmap.co.uk/map.php

I'm still tempted to do it in the Herald but will get a tank for the spare wheel. But, I'd have to find somewhere to put my tools and keep the old tank and I'm not use whether such a small gas tank it worth it. And there are only a few stations near me too. I'll price up the cost of a homebrew conversion one day.

1024 wrote:
just wondering what the cost of total run is meaning fuel/stop overs.

"Stop overs"? That's easy, we don't :-) It's a non-stop run.

If you live within striking distance of the Plough then you won't need a pre or post event stop over but do factor in the driving when thinking about this. If you live in the frozen North then you've got a long way to go once you've finished.

At 180 odd miles home to Donny via my son's house, we will be stopping over on the sunday night, having spoken to RBRR veterans, it would seem that even 70miles home once finished, is the longest drive of your life!
Is there a recommended place near to the plough that people use, a travel lodge or such like?

Cheers Colin.

There's a hotel at the South Mimms services at j23 (3 miles from j24) of the M25 and also another in Chestnut at j25. The Plough is between j24 and j25.

I can't remember the brand of each one but have a look on Premier Inn and Travel Lodge sites for places. Book early and they should be dead cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

We have used the LPG saloon for 2 or 3 RBRR's now. Gas is most tricky on the way to cornwall, but with our 200 mile range we generally manage - just! You have to go off route now and then, and plot your next stop, but you always have petrol backup just incase?
They have now shut the lpg place near wick, best top up on the a9 at inverness, and then pray!

Archived