Swiss Vinettes/passes

don cook1

We pitched up at the Swiss border to find the petrol station closed and nowhere to buy a vignette. I was OK as I had a current one on the car from the recce run but we wanted Adam's and Barry's Acclaims to be legal so off we went looking for Vignettes. At Martigny we searched again but all we could find were automatic pumops at closed filling stations. I eventually went to an hotel to sak and the general opinion was "just get on and drive, unless you have an accident you will be very unlucky to be pulled after 9 at night...." So that is what we did and got away with it. ;D  

Burnerboy wrote:
We pitched up at the Swiss border to find the petrol station closed and nowhere to buy a vignette. I was OK as I had a current one on the car from the recce run but we wanted Adam's and Barry's Acclaims to be legal so off we went looking for Vignettes. At Martigny we searched again but all we could find were automatic pumops at closed filling stations. I eventually went to an hotel to sak and the general opinion was "just get on and drive, unless you have an accident you will be very unlucky to be pulled after 9 at night...." So that is what we did and got away with it. ;D  

They were at the entrance to the tunnel being sold by a nice border patrol who spoke English/French/Italian........

michael_charlton wrote:

They were at the entrance to the tunnel being sold by a nice border patrol who spoke English/French/Italian........

They must have been having a cuppa by the time we got there, we only saw the guy taking the toll money for the tunnel, or more than possible we were half asleep and did not see them :B
We also tried three or four petrol stations and then gave up and just kept going and tried to creep out on backroads and still ended back on the motorway at the border but at 4 am they were not interested and we just drove through :)

To be honest, all the border police were pretty apathetic, which was fine by me. Except the over-zealous Andorra ones of course. I'm sure they thought I had a stowaway in the Spitfire boot alongside the trolley jack, spare wheel, toolbox, etc, etc, and kept blowing their bloody whistle at me until I struggled out of the harness, got out, and opened it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

At the end of the day, the Swiss pay the same price for these i.e. they pay 24euros for 12 months.
If the Swiss cops want to say we shouldn't resell them, they'd loose in a court because it isn't fraid. The vingette isn't being used on multiple cars at the same time. We aren't bootlegging them.
Why should we pay the same for 1 day as the swiss pay for 365?

Had this discussion with my uncle (who is Swiss) and he thinks it is a national disgrace that they make visitors pay the full price for short-term use and also that anyone has to pay the full price whatever time of year they are purchased.

I also had a short, light-hearted banter with a very pleasant border guard at the beginning of my first visit last year.... he noted the sticker remaining from my previous trip in 1993 so I asked if I could claim the balance of some 355 days that ought be remaining on it....... He said no though.

However, when you compare the price to what you have to pay for a lengthy section of French peage...... they are cracking value!

Nick

My only gripe about the vignette is that it does not run for a 12 month period from date of purchase, and that it is 12 months  jan to jan
So if you were to return within the 12 month from date of purchase you could make more use of the vignette,if you so desired to get to that safety deposit account

• 6 months later...

Nick_Jones wrote:
Had this discussion with my uncle (who is Swiss) and he thinks it is a national disgrace that they make visitors pay the full price for short-term use and also that anyone has to pay the full price whatever time of year they are purchased.

I also had a short, light-hearted banter with a very pleasant border guard at the beginning of my first visit last year.... he noted the sticker remaining from my previous trip in 1993 so I asked if I could claim the balance of some 355 days that ought be remaining on it....... He said no though.

However, when you compare the price to what you have to pay for a lengthy section of French peage...... they are cracking value!

Nick

Indeed, and you don't get a speeding ticket if you arrivee a tout vitesse at the toll booth!

Archived