Swiss Vinettes/passes

don cook1

Quite right, 40CHF + £23. And when I return it goes straight back on ebay!  Don't peel the sticker as its almost impossible to get it off without destroying it. Stick it on your windscreen with tape. At the border the guards will want to stick it on and they'll peel itm so resist that if you can.

EDIT. On the other hand...just been reading about these vignettes and it may be an offence if they are not displayed correctly. The bit that should be visible has the year "09" as yellow whereas the  non sticky side is white.

HHhmmmmmm??

I hadn't thought of buying this off eBay either - thanks!  Got a bid in now ..... and if we don't have to peel it off at the border, then I can flog it again when we come back and aim to almost remove this expense!  Even if we do stick it in, I'd rather pay £14 than £23!
Thanks Don!

Oh yes they do....... (at the crossing we used anyway) and yes, they like to help you fit your vignette!  You are not allowed to tape them on (for fairly obvious reasons) so as usual the only real crime is getting caught - some subtlety required!  If they weren't so blatant about ripping you off I'd have more sympathy for them.......

Nick

Trust a Scotch bloke to find a way of saving pennies...I'm reminded of Paul Derbyshire's joke about who invented copper wire...two Scots fighting over a penny!

As for border guards...I think I've already reported this but we had one that looked and dressed like Lara Croft (tight T shirt with a holster and a gun)...we'd pay her any price for a vignette!!

• 2 weeks later...

We pulled up next Tim Hunt, Andy Peace and the Dolomite (sorry, can't remember your name) at the boarder and asked if all was ok. Andy said the Dolomite was fixing its headlights so I said we'd join the back of the queue. The boarder guards waved them all through and as they watched the the 2000 go past I looked straight ahead and put my foot down. :)

Well, I think that was the Swiss boarder. Things are a bit of a blur when I think back!

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this as we have many variations - some cars had none, some had them but didn't stick them in (they are a different colour when stuck in) and some cars played completely by the book.
In theory you can be fined 100 Swiss Francs and forced to pay the cost of the Vignette however, they must have to stop you as the tag isn't "smart" or capable of being read by a camera - so in my mind, if you've not been nicked in Switzerland, you've got away with it!

Next time it may be a case of buy one and colour photo copy it :-)

Jason wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what comes of this as we have many variations - some cars had none, some had them but didn't stick them in (they are a different colour when stuck in) and some cars played completely by the book.
In theory you can be fined 100 Swiss Francs and forced to pay the cost of the Vignette however, they must have to stop you as the tag isn't "smart" or capable of being read by a camera - so in my mind, if you've not been nicked in Switzerland, you've got away with it!

Next time it may be a case of buy one and colour photo copy it :-)

I don't think they're valid unless displayed properly on the car.

I've heard that there are cameras capable of detecting them but as with other minor offences one may commit on foreign roads ie. speeding past French speed cameras, I very much doubt that the authorities could be arsed with the hassle of a prosecution.

sorbs wrote:
ie. speeding past French speed cameras, I very much doubt that the authorities could be arsed with the hassle of a prosecution.

They will most definately chase you down, very easily as the government will give them your details without asking any questions.

Of course the French Govermant won't give us teh details of their citizens when they speed over here. Might infringe their human rights no doubt.

All this said having been flashed on a French road 3 days ago at 78kph in a 120kph limit and wondering what will come through teh door.

To make it worse we smiled and waved at the camera... :-)

Colin

Archived