daft question - drain differential?

irish44j

Anyone have a basic method to drain the diff on my GT6? It hasn't been opened in probably 20 years. Other cars I own have drain plugs on the diff, but not the GT6.... Note that I do not want to take it off the car at this time...

Talk about a "duh" question, but help me out :)

If you can get it warm enough to thin the oil, and if you can wriggle a length of smallish diameter clear tubing in through the filler/level hole down to the bottom of the diff (not easy) you can syphon it out. Suck on the pipe till you see the oil come up the tube and then let it syphon into a pan. You need to suck hard and it takes a long time to syphon out.

Or, you can use one of the hand operated pumps to do it. Marine stores sell these for emptying oil from marine gearboxes.

I've got one of these
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cgg500-500cc-oil-suction-gun/path/lubrication-fuel-transfer-equipment
My use is for filling up gearboxes and diffs from 5 ltr containers but the suction is fantastic even for the heaviest oil so no prolem sucking out used oil as well

Paul Humphries

358 wrote:
I suggest that you drill through this protusion into the differential, all the way though being careful not to snag the crownwheel.
Tap a thread into the hole, any size will do, M6-8-10 or 5/16,3/8, 7/16th. Then simply install a suitable hex head bolt into it. Use an alloy or brass washer to seal it.

Doing it that way you'll have to provide a flat surface for the washer to seal against. Easier to use a taper plug as original (5/8"UNF I think?)

The sump and the gear box use taper plugs, but I don't think they have taper cut threads on the drain hole.
The taper plug will seal very nicely in a straight hole, or you could add some teflon tape if you were worried.

And please check the correct thread before buying a tap.
Gas connections are often a taper thread, and I suspect that car taper plugs may use that.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

John

358 wrote:
While the proposal of cutting a taper thread is reasoned I can tell that you have certainly not done so?

I didn't propose cutting a taper thread I proposed cutting a straight thread & using a taper plug which as John said is what Triumph did in the engine, gearbox & diff.
Your bolt & washer idea won't seal unless you machine a flat (shallow counterbore or "spotface") into the rough cast surface of the diff.

I intend to have mine done with a modern type sump plug  one that fits flush in the hole ...a hex head sticking out from the bottom of a diff is asking to be  sheared off....wouldn't do it on the car either.Take it off split the casing ,check all the bearings and seals while you're at it and do the job proper

Archived