My Differential has gone kaput

GT6Craig

Quote:
When i came to start my car this morning, besides the expected hangups due to the freezing weather, shortly after i set off i heard two metallic bangs from the rear of the car!
I then drove to my destination (7 miles) without further incident.
The back brakes arent great so im hoping they had just frozen on and the clunking was them springing back into position. Does this sound plausible? Its never happened before in the 3 months ive owned the car....

Well i think the metallic clunk clunk was a little more than just the brakes - after the car had been sat in the cold again there was a single audible clunk and then a continuous grinding and whining coming from the diff!
Its most noticible when i have the clutch dipped or take my foot off the accelerator.
The car drives fine but the noise makes me cringe and , ive checked the oil level in the diff and its full. Is it shot or can it be fixed?

You need a diff with a round front flange for the propshaft and 3/8 bolts all round. The prefix letters stamped on the diff indicate its ratio 3.27 KC 3.89 KD, 3.89 are easier to find as they are used on the Vitesse, FD or HC. You can use the diff from a MK4 Spitfire 3.89 FH this all assumes they have not been rebuilt at sometime with a different ratio.

The old-fashioned way is to jack the rear up to get the wheels off the ground, start the car, put it gear to get the wheels turning, then touch your tongue to the driveshaft.  Not many people do it that way anymore.

You can also put all four corners of the car up on jackstands (much safer than jackstands on one end & wheel chocks on the other), put the transmission in neutral, & start grabbing & turning back & forth by hand the driveshaft & axles to see where the noise & looseness are.

rotoflex you beat me to it :)

but I'll leave the info anyway,

One way to find out where the noise is coming from is to chock the front wheels and jack up one rear wheel and put the car in first or second gear and let the clutch out gently.

The raised wheel should spin, if you hear any horrible loud  crunching noises it is probably your diff.  To state the obvious try to locate where the noise is coming from.

If you hear a clicking type of noise it may be a drive shaft u/j or possibly loose rotoflex bolts (if you have rotoflex couplings) or prop u/js.

If you hear no noise try it with the other rear wheel raised. The wheel that is not raised must stay in contact with the floor and not turn, this will make the diff work and if it is noisey you will hear it.

You can also try with both wheels raised off the floor if the diff makes no noise and then you may locate any bearing or u/j noise.

This method is not without it's dangers the front wheels must be unable to move as the car will try to drive forwards due to any drag on the diff you must let the clutch up really gently and it's probably better to have someone in the drivers seat at all times in case the car starts to move they can quickly stand on the brakes.

184 wrote:
Does anyone know the type of differential it is, or any other information i might need? Im looking at a replacement from Rimmers - its £350 - ouch :-(

Non O/D 3.27
O/D 3.89

As has been said a 3.63 (Spitfire 1500) can be an improvement for higher top speed over a 3.89.

UJ's are notoriously difficult to suss out as they are under tension, and only slight play causes ticking. There should be NO movement/play in then, I use a thin bar but it is not foolproof. A shiny ring around the uj cup/circlip can be a clue too.
And putting drive though the wheels when jacked up is another helpful pointer, but do be very careful. Not sure about using ones tongue on a driveshaft though :-/

rotoflex wrote:
The old-fashioned way is to jack the rear up to get the wheels off the ground, start the car, put it gear to get the wheels turning, then touch your tongue to the driveshaft.  Not many people do it that way anymore.

never heard that one before....

The sudden clunk sounds odd, but I don't think it'll be your diff. Take the driveshafts out (mk1 same as Heralds? If so it's dead easy) and inspect them. If you've never seen a knackered one before then take it to someone who has. I thought mine were ok until I took them to Dale. I'd killed virtually everything! When he showed me what was wrong and then I saw them in a repaired state it was rather obvious...

Take a nose at this, too.
http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp?article=noises

ok today i attempted to drive to uni when i had a catostrophic failure. A large bang was followed by a massive bang, bang, bang from the rear of the car. It drives but ive left it at the bottom of the road until im home later and can have a proper look.
Maybe get it towed to my garage.
The clunk clunk, or bang bang whatever it is is loudest when im crawling along - it literally sounds like someone is under the car belting it with a hammer........

Unbolt the halfshafts  from the diff and make sure they are not the problem.

Rotate the propshaft and see if there's the kncking.

PS does sound like the diff. Think of all the other usefull jobs you can do to the back-end of the car at the same time  ;) Lowering block under the spring, trunnion over-haul, checking the U/J's, suspension bushes, copper brake pipes, oh the list is endless.,,

you mention Ice and brakes have you taken a drum off just to check you havnt ripped a frozen brake shoe apart ???  do the cheapo fixes first
the canley sit gives some basic diff ident and failure clues  doe rear end noises  http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp

Pete

I jacked the car up today and set the engine running. I got under the car and touched a long screwdriver onto the diff and the plastic handle against my ear........its definately the diff  :'(
I also removed the drums to check them, and i checked the UJ's. I was really hoping it would be one of them!

So ive set about removing the diff for further inspection, only a few bolts to go and im done so ill report back on Sunday and maybe put some photos up of suspect or broken components.

If its a bearing inside or the pinion/crown etc whats stopping me from replacing it and putting it back together?

A diff requires reconditioning, the Crwon wheel and pinion need shimming correctly otherwise you will write thos bits off. Whilst doing that it's a false economy not to change the bearings and seals.

Try Canley Classics or Paddocks for options & costs. Obviously there are other suppliers but these two get my vote.

Archived