Cheap and effective trunnion oil tool

Nilfisken

Phil,
I aint been through it word for word but.....
Has it been mentioned that if you file off the top of a zerk/grease nipple so that the ball and spring are ejected, then if this is substituted for whatever is in the upright, it makes the job a little easier. Take it out after use of course.

8)

The plug keeps the oil in.
Triumph's direction was to remove the plug, fit a grease nipple, pump oil in, remove the nipple, & re-fit the plug.
filing the nipple to eject the ball is to solve the problem of modern nipples having herculean springs behind the ball valve, making it hard to pump oil through them.

1704 wrote:
Phil,
I aint been through it word for word but.....
Has it been mentioned that if you file off the top of a zerk/grease nipple so that the ball and spring are ejected, then if this is substituted for whatever is in the upright, it makes the job a little easier. Take it out after use of course.

8)

Good point, I can understand where people are coming from on this one. I shall update the article to include this.

Unless anyone produces a cohesive arguement not to, I shall mention this as a mod that can be done if you still use the blanking plug, plus reasoning (easier to pump etc). I shall also give the alternative method of using nipple with spring/ball, such that the nipple can be left in place (which is, I assume, the main reason for using this method).

I am trying not to create an article that states my way is the only way, I prefer to give the options and let people make their minds up. If they really want to discuss the inner pro's and cons of the matter, then they can always come here :) Muwhahahahahahahaahahahaha  8) 8) 8)

thebrookster wrote:
As Requested!!

http://www.kinkyspit.co.uk/?page_id=191

If anyone would like their real names substituted for their foum ID's please forward it on to me, and I shall oblige.

Cheers,

Phil

Now that really is what I'm talking about - great work and a subject de-mistified for me.

Craig would that be my Spitty on the back of that low loader?? ;)

I do keep on top of the trunnions they are frequently well oiled (the lack of paint under the wheel arch gives away the history)

By the way the spits still looking and running great and being loved. :) :)

Neil MAC

Yep Neil - that's your Spitfire - happened in 2003, less than a year after Sarah bought it, and after I thought I'd given the car a good checking over and service. Picture is courtesy of Jason Chinn - happened on the Isle of Wight - much to the merriment of everyone present.

Good to hear TRW is still going strong.

Not often mentioned, but the other failure is the stripping of the threads within the trunnion and the subsequent popping out of the vertical link.  With a VERY strong strap or similar, you can tie it all together and SLOWLY make your way home/place of repair.  I think this is caused by COMPLETE lack of lubrication!

• 2 years later...

punch in 'trunnion oiling' or a similar combination in the 'search' box either here or on the tssc forum and you should find everything a triumph owner needs to know about them.

it's an old chestnut and there is plenty of advice at hand,good luck :)

you may need to do the search '30 days or older' as the threads go back a long way.

Aye, fraid kinkyspit as a website has died a quiet death, due to the name reaching the end of its lease.

I have purchased a new name now, as I felt that with that car no longer existing and its somewhat risqué connotation the old name was past it's best. I still have the site itself, and as soon as I get the server sorted it should be back up and running again, I shall update once this is done. Not been as fast as I would have liked, but for some reason I came off my last ship with several months holiday owed, which seems to have been eaten up by 20 thousand other things!!

The old site was kinda unstable anyway, as I was running a server from home, but the internet provider I had did not provide a static IP address, so whenever they changed the IP the site would go down until I fettled it again! Am in the process of investigating other providers just now as well, otherwise I shall go back to hosted server space.

Cheers,

Phil

Last weekend I replaced a trunnion to clear an advisory from last years MOT.  
The new one was a Standpart and just test screwing up the thread resulted in no rock at all, where the previous one which came with no markings on at all, there was slight rock although I fitted it new.
Anyway to the point, before fitting the trunnion I filled it with oil about quarter full and as the trunnion was screwed into place the excess oil was pushed up the vertical link and out of the oiler hole.  Blanking plug refitted - Job done.

8)  

thebrookster wrote:
Aye, fraid kinkyspit as a website has died a quiet death, due to the name reaching the end of its lease.

I have purchased a new name now, as I felt that with that car no longer existing and its somewhat risqué connotation the old name was past it's best. I still have the site itself, and as soon as I get the server sorted it should be back up and running again, I shall update once this is done. Not been as fast as I would have liked, but for some reason I came off my last ship with several months holiday owed, which seems to have been eaten up by 20 thousand other things!!

The old site was kinda unstable anyway, as I was running a server from home, but the internet provider I had did not provide a static IP address, so whenever they changed the IP the site would go down until I fettled it again! Am in the process of investigating other providers just now as well, otherwise I shall go back to hosted server space.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil,
You are able to set up a static ip if you're currently on a dynamic one. Thwres an online tool from portforward that let's you do it.

Louis.

7112 wrote:

Phil,
You are able to set up a static ip if you're currently on a dynamic one. Thwres an online tool from portforward that let's you do it.

Louis.

Cheers for the info Louis, unfortunately I had looked at that before, and there is no easy method to use it on a Linux machine, and all my computers are now running Linux (well, I would never use Windows for a server anyway). I had originally installed a DNS server on my webserver, which allowed me to use the various free dynamic DNS sites as nameservers, which got around the issue, but you have to re-run a script on the server, and update the DNS server everytime the IP changed, which was a bit of a hassle. Hence the decision to go to a full static IP address. The other issue I have is that Sky (who I currently have) are unwilling to open most of the ports to users, so unless I changed all the ports FTP/SSH/etc used, I couldn't connect to my server from outwith my house network. Again, it is possible to get around this, but the amount of work involved frankly bored me, so paying for the static IP address is definitely the easier option for me. Going for hosted server space is probably easier again, but involves greater cost, and being a Northern Englishman who has spent a large part of his life in Scotland, parting with money willy nilly is not easy for me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully gunna be doing this on the weekend (weather permitting!), in the long term i have the trunnionless kit which i've got ready to go on but in the mean time.

Would it be possible to see the guide as i'm sure any extra info would be helpful. I have one of the halfords can's mentioned by the OP so gunna use that filled with EP90.

Cheers

John