LouisW

I'm after some front shocks as the ones I took off my spit were rusty as hell. I still have them, but think they're beyond salvage although when i bounce tested them they seemed OK.
I know there are spax, koni, monroe, gaz, standards new shocks, NOS shocks but I don't know which direction to go.
Koni for me are too expensive, and I see there are some spax shocks on ebay that have 500 miles on them for £35 (bidding though).
I've heard some bad things about the new shocks which are available from places like rimmers, paddocks etc just with the build quality being poor. I'll be able to save my current springs I think, just need a going over with the grinder and some hammerite.

Does anyone happen to have any good NOS shocks for sale? Would this be a good way to go? I would be interested in Spax, gaz shocks if anyone had any used in good condition? I am not looking for any drastic changes, having never driven a spitfire I don't know what to expect anyway! I just want something that will last me a long time and will provide me with good performance.

The Herald is still running the same dampeners as when I got it in 2006. No idea what brand they are but I remember taking them off when I first got it and painting them with some Hammerite which had been floating around in the cupboard for years. I found no branding on them at the time. Every part of the suspension has been "upgraded" except them. They haven't failed yet and I've no great desire to replace them until needed. It'll handle better with better ones, but if fine as it is now.

Don't rush to change parts which are working. It'll only make other things break in sympathy and you'll have less money to spend on their replacements. ;)

I'll try get some pictures, they are incredibly rusty which must hinder the performance to a certain degree? I don't want to go through the whole rebuild of my front suspension then have to buy new shocks again later down the line. John on here is kindly sending me some springs compressors so I can remove them which would give me a better look at the condition I suppose.

I know for definite that the top mounting on the shocks (can't remember the name...) is knackered, the nuts are on their last legs! Where can I go about getting new ones of these?

I bought KBL for mine and they are superb.
Gas A Just at the rear and Excel-G at the front.
Not expensive compared to Spax etc but very high quality and amazing difference to the ride compared to the cheap black ones I bought just 6 years and 10k miles ago!