GT6 shock compression

hypoid53

I am experiencing a bit of a problem with rotoflex GT6 rear shocks.
The top mounts are on shock extensions off the chassis but a banging noise is still experienced from the LH rear.
The photos clearly show a difference in the compression of the shocks when stationary. Look at the position of the blue sleeve relative to the GAZ logo.
The car drives well; has been laser tracked on all 4 wheels and sits perfectly on a new Canley spring. The new GAZ shocks are the correct length ones for the top mount modification from the TSSC. To lessen the banging they are currently on setting 9 out of 12 which is a bit hard! Top mount measurements to the ground are identical.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

hypoid53 wrote:
I am experiencing a bit of a problem with rotoflex GT6 rear shocks.
The top mounts are on shock extensions off the chassis but a banging noise is still experienced from the LH rear.
The photos clearly show a difference in the compression of the shocks when stationary. Look at the position of the blue sleeve relative to the GAZ logo.
The car drives well; has been laser tracked on all 4 wheels and sits perfectly on a new Canley spring. The new GAZ shocks are the correct length ones for the top mount modification from the TSSC. To lessen the banging they are currently on setting 9 out of 12 which is a bit hard! Top mount measurements to the ground are identical.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

Funny thing, before I put the body on mine when I bounced up and down on the chassis there was a banging from the nearside. I didn't spend much time trying to track it down but it wasn't obvious where it was coming from. Not much help I'm afraid but I will be interested to read any replies.

Slimboyfat wrote:
How much fuel did you have in the tank when you took those pictures?

Slightly more than 3/4 of a tank

Quote:
Sure it's not the spring rather than the dampers?

No, but it is a new Canley spring and the car 'sits' right. The banging was present with the previous OE spring as well.

Quote:
Bent vertical link?

Cannot be ruled out, but unlikely. It was checked before fitting against the WM specs and was a mirror of the RH side. Tracking is spot on.

hypoid53 wrote:

Slightly more than 3/4 of a tank

About 25 kilos then. That would explain the left to right difference on a GT6 (GT6 has petrol tank way over on the left hand side of the car).

On the US GT6 Triumph fitted a spring spacer on the left hand front coil spring to compensate for petrol tank, and driver (sits on the left!).

I say its the shock knocking due to having insufficient range of movement which is common on this conversion.

Quote:
I say its the shock knocking due to having insufficient range of movement which is common on this conversion.

I tend to agree but what can be done about it. These are GAZ shocks. The same problem arose on Konis fitted previously.

Can the manufacturer alter the specification to correct this problem?

3  things come to mind
1, the shockers are the wrong type, , IE original roto shockers

2, the actuall shocker has a fault, I have a pair, and the car developed a nok frae,t passenger side.
was found to be shocker its self, banging frae inside its self.

3, ye say, ......To lessen the banging they are currently on setting 9 out of 12 which is a bit hard!

there is a condition called shocker pull doon, ie, the shockers settings for fliud flow, are strang,r than the springs deflection rate, so as yer going along, the car slowly gets lower and lower, till it bottoms oot.
thats why springs need to be matched to damper

try it on other side, see if it still noks,if it noks on other side, then its shocker.
still sitting low on one side at rest, then maybe front springs are weak, set wrong,or chassis twist,
or maybe even the VL threads are coming oot the trunnion, lowering that side only

try and show a pic of underneath cr showing full length of car,
so can see if car is actually sitting flat
if left front is doon, then right rear will be up, and vice vera

edit, is the car got a lowering block in it ,!!!!

editted edit, it looks like there is a diff to the shape of the roto, one is moer twisted than the other, indicating car is sitting lower at ya side,
pics of car needed for inspecting flatness,

M

796 wrote:
3  things come to mind
1, the shockers are the wrong type, , IE original roto shockers

These are new GAZ supplied by the TSSC shop as being correct size for the conversion bracket.

2, the actuall shocker has a fault, I have a pair, and the car developed a nok frae,t passenger side.
was found to be shocker its self, banging frae inside its self.

The same problem arose with the Konis fitted previously

3, ye say, ......To lessen the banging they are currently on setting 9 out of 12
which is a bit hard!

I agree

there is a condition called shocker pull doon, ie, the shockers settings for fliud flow, are strang,r than the springs deflection rate, so as yer going along, the car slowly gets lower and lower, till it bottoms oot.
thats why springs need to be matched to damper

I am going to talk to GAZ about that. Will try the Konis again.

try it on other side, see if it still noks,if it noks on other side, then its shocker.
still sitting low on one side at rest, then maybe front springs are weak, set wrong,or chassis twist,
or maybe even the VL threads are coming oot the trunnion, lowering that side only
Everything is sitting flat and square and floor to top mount measurements are identical
try and show a pic of underneath cr showing full length of car,
so can see if car is actually sitting flat
if left front is doon, then right rear will be up, and vice vera

edit, is the car got a lowering block in it ,!!!!

No block, and new canley spring just fitted. Sits well on the road and looks 'right'.

M

9077 wrote:
You haven't mentioned if you've lowered the suspension but it's certainly low. Too low? Particularly on the front, maybe an optical illusion but it looks nose down, the bottom of the car doesn't seem parallel to the road.

Seems to be the same as my spitfire ..

Here are some comparative measurements:-
top shock to ground :  passenger 608mm :  driver 614mm
Then jacked up level with wheels off:-
bottom shock to ground: passenger 288mm: driver 298mm
top to bottom shock mounts passenger 328 driver 328
inner wishbone to ground: passenger 360mm :driver 365mm
wishbone (u/r) to ground: passenger 242mm :driver 252mm

So nothing seems awry there.

I have spoken to GAZ and they say it must be the mounting points: but these measurements show them to be within 10mm tolerance.

The front has Moss TT4701 springs and Gaz adjustables. Not an intentional lowering as such, just the weight of that engine!

Here is a photo (taken early in the rebuild) of my mounting extension brackets as fitted (from Chic Doig incidentally). How do they compare with other brackets available. To get more shock travel the top fixing eye for the shock could be arced a little higher. What has everyone else got fitted?

There is a thread somewhere about using the mini shocks, Konis in the threads case.
But are the gaz shocks the same in terms of open and closed lengths? Just because they are supplied for a purpose, they may not actually be correct? And I believe the TSC also sell the top conversion bracket. It may be different to Chics? And have you asked Chic which dampers to use?

I know I am answering questions with more questions, but it seems to be the shocks closed length is just too long.....

The car originally had Koni 18-1717 shocks (Mini Cooper) but one was defective.
The TSSC GAZ ones are 'specials' and are 8.5/8" closed 12.125" open which closely matches the Konis. They are based on the GAZ GT4-2270. I would like to see some other brackets for comparison as this LH banging is apparently common to the GT6 with these brackets.
If the shock is still bottoming out then the shock mounts needs to be made further apart surely?
The top mount is the most likely suspect in my opinion.

Might have solved this.
The shocks should be 2270 but are actually 2273 which is the STANDARD rotoflex shock and is 9.5" closed 14" open. So thats why they are bottoming out. Replacement 2270 shocks now being ordered. Through a simple error in ordering and thinking they were 2270's the very condition that was to be alleviated was actually reproduced. DOH  ??)