fitting new flywheel

dave mc

The teeth on my ring gear are knackered so will be replacing my flywheel on my Mk2 Vitesse soon.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when I do this, or is it simply a case of undoing the bolts and putting the new flywheel on and bolting up again? Will be doing the clutch at the same time.

Ideally you should have the complete crank, flywheel and clutch balanced. On my last rebuild (FD-engine) I was surprised how much the engine shop had to take off the flywheel to get it right. Don't know if you are changing only the flywheel though.

Hello Richard,

I agree about just replacing the ring gear, but not to heating it up, particularly with a flame as there is a danger of removing the hardening of the teeth. It is not necessary to heat the ring gear, it will fit cold. It is a bit fiddly but with a bench, a couple of G cramps to keep it level, it will tap on; just ensure the new ring is facing the correct way before starting.

Alec

Hello Dave,

the ring gear is a light interference fit, simply drive it off with a hammer and drift. Use the torch if you must but do not overheat, being relatively small section the teeth heat up quite quickly (depending on nozzle size) and will be softened. Personally I always do them cold.

Alec