Timing spec on mk3 grind cam in 1500??

molten

Hello Gents

I am certain that one of you guys will have this info but...

What is the MK3 grind cam timing settings. I have seen them on here somewhere but blown if I can find them.

Help needed quick so I can get this done tomorrow.

Cheers
Scott

2597 wrote:
Hello Gents

I am certain that one of you guys will have this info but...

What is the MK3 grind cam timing settings. I have seen them on here somewhere but blown if I can find them.

Help needed quick so I can get this done tomorrow.

Cheers
Scott

Hi Scott,

I assume you mean the valve timing for when you're putting the timing chain on ? if so, it's std Triumph camshaft profile, so it should be as per the manual, how are you doing it, head on or off ?

Gordon

thanks gents.

I just put head on today after seting TDC, but think I accidentaly moved the crank when putting head on so now not confident about TDC.

Would it be ok to take head back off when gasket has been compressed to reset TDC? Engine out of car for the record.

cHEERS

If the head has been torqued down onto a new gasket then it's not ideal to remove it again.  If it's a Payen gasket you'll probably find that some of the plasticky/silcone type coating may stick to the head or block, and then it's knackered.  If it's an OEM type, or cheaper type, you may get away with it.

Why take it off? If you are concerned about finding TDC for valve timing purposes, then a stick down the plughole would be accurate enough, bearing in mind you are only ever going to be within the tolerance accuaracy of one sprocket tooth's degree of rotation. Unless you have vernier sprockets of course

Hello SS,

you can do better than one tooth, I think from memory it is 1/4 tooth. This is achieved by fitting the camwheel using the optional holes (the holes are not symmetrical, and also by reversing the wheel giving four alternative settings.

Alec

• Like 1

piman wrote:
you can do better than one tooth, I think from memory it is 1/4 tooth. This is achieved by fitting the camwheel using the optional holes (the holes are not symmetrical, and also by reversing the wheel giving four alternative settings.

Yes 1/4 tooth.

Thats the advantage of a simplex gearset of a duplex gearset.

Duplex only goes down to 1/2 tooth.  (Unless you buy a vernier kit)

ok fellas, next question. How can I tell which orientation is which to come down to 1/4 tooth accuracy?

At present i have the punch mark near the teeth of cam sprocket adjacent to the punch on the cranshaft sprocket (piston at TDC as spied through plug hole). Steel rules says these line up ok. Only problem is that there ia also punch 180 degrees to the one on the cam sprocket which also lines up along steel rule.

If I understand correctly, positioning the cam sprocket 180 degrees will give half tooth adjustment - yes?
Will flipping the sprocket round (and securing back to front) give it 1/4 tooth accuracy? Or have i lost the plot here :)

2597 wrote:
If I understand correctly, positioning the cam sprocket 180 degrees will give half tooth adjustment - yes?
Will flipping the sprocket round (and securing back to front) give it 1/4 tooth accuracy? Or have i lost the plot here :)

Yep flip the wheel over and one pair of holes gives 1/4 tooth, the other pair of holes gives 3/4 tooth.

Neat huh?    ;)

Scott,
Turning the camshaft sprocket 90 degrees and refitting the chain moves the cam 1/2 tooth. Fitting the sprocket back to front, then turning it 90 degrees and refitting the chain moves the cam 1/4 tooth. This is if the sprockets are as Triumph supplied them. Some new sprockets do not have the holes  offset from the tooth centers and this adjustment isn't available when using them.
                                                                            Cheers,
                                                                            Paul

One trick for finding TDC is to make something like an extended spark plug that stops the piston reaching the top of the stroke.
Mount some card behind the engine pulley, rotate the crank either way and mark where the timing mark stops.   Half way between in TDC.
Easier if you use a timing card, but not necessary.
How you make the stopper depends on what you have to hand, if you can't borrow one.

Duplex sockets do not have the range of adjustment of a simplex. I could not get better than 2 degrees on the my 25/65 camshaft/4 degrees on the crank on mine so bought a vernier gear from Chris Witor. I used a large timing wheel and DTI for precision. It has certainly livened up the Spitfire!

piman wrote:
Hello Paul,

"Some new sprockets do not have the holes  offset from the tooth centers"

I hadn't heard that, are these aftermarket spares?

Alec

Alec,
Yes, aftermarket spares here in the States. I've no idea where they are actually being made.
                                                                Cheers,
                                                                Paul

• 10 years later...