gt6 mk3  JDE 451L restoration

toolmaker

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,
bringing you all up to date, this is as far as ive got so far on the restoration.
the seat belt mount on the wheelhouse had started to rot through.
this is spot welded on, and the big spot welds had coroded over time.
i cut out a big hole and managed to cold form a piece of 1.2mm plate to the shape you can see in the pic.
i drilled a clearance hole in the middle and welded it all round on the wheelhouse.
the seat belt mount was re-usable so i just cleaned that up and welded it back in under the wheelhouse.
now its really strong again.

on the both sides there is whats called a bulkhead strengthning mounting bracket.
this is a 2mm thick piece of steel, the one on my drivers side had been half cut off and welded onto
various bodged repairs in the past.
i had a spare passenger one which was ok, so i mirror imaged it and using a bit of heat, anvil and hammer
made up the missing one, the home made one is in primer. not exactly identical but it fits spot on.

last bit and your all up to date, the car had had a new boot floor put in some time ago, and quite a good job too i have to say.
however the spare wheel mounting bracket went out with the old boot floor.
i managed to get a sized up sketch of one from mr john bonnett on this very form, and made one up.
the round piece on top is just a round hand wheel to clamp the wheel in place.

At present, i have now trimmed up the new floor and am waiting for primer to dry before welding fully in.
Thats the next job.

7235 wrote:
on the both sides there is whats called a bulkhead strengthening mounting bracket.
this is a 2mm thick piece of steel, the one on my drivers side had been half cut off and welded onto
various bodged repairs in the past.
i had a spare passenger one which was ok, so i mirror imaged it and using a bit of heat, anvil and hammer
made up the missing one, the home made one is in primer. not exactly identical but it fits spot on.

Hat's off to you Ian for forming that. You must have arms like Popeye  :o

7235 wrote:
hello RR, i have a home made bench folder, it works quite well, but the rest is all hand made.
i will use the spare, i would`nt use that foam stuff if you paid me.

Fair enough, but i've never had a puncture, ever, in 29 years, lot of other classic problems though. saying that i'll probably get two tomorrow.
RR

hello rr,
no puncture for 29 years! thats what i call luck.
we have had 2 in a week before.
i know some new cars have no spare and a bottle of that gas/ foam stuff.
but tyre places wont fix your tyre if you use it, not round here anyway.you have to buy a new tyre.
a lot of the lads at work buy a spare wheel to carry.
i am old fashioned and like the spare.

hi,
not much work being done with this cold weather,
however when i was clamping up for welding, i decided while access was good to replace the door fixing plates behind the A post upper panel.
i read a few times that these plates strip the threads.
rather than open them out i made new ones,
these are 6mm plate as opposed to 3/16 as origonal.
infact my origonal plates were ok, but i decided to put new ones anyway.
they are just held in place by 2 tabs bent up behind the plates.
i could just get in to bend back the lower tabs and take the plates out.
the top one is a bit of a waggle to get out but straightforward enough.
as the new plates were slightly thicker, i angle ground a chamfer on the back to assist the tabs on replacement.
the new ones simply slot into place then rebend the tabs up.

if you do ever decide to open these up if yours are stripped, say to 10mm. i would use a fine pitch thread and bolts to match as the plates are not really thick enough for an m10 standard thread.
m10 fine thread have a 1.0mm pitch.
alternatively if you take them out, you can turn them round 180 and re drill and tap 5/16 unf marking them off
from the existing holes.

-7 up here last few mornings and i dont fancy lying down and welding in that,hopefully next week will be better.

• 4 months later...

hi, its been a while since i posted, but the work has been going on relentlessly.
i got the drivers side finished.
here are a good few pics, everything was more or less straight forward but the heelboard box section took some figuring out and i seemed
to take ages over that.

pic 1 floor and sill tack welded in.
pic 2 the bulkhead patched and welded.
pic 3 the door to sill gap, i have not fitted the outer sills yet, this is just held by hand to see what the gap looked like.
pic 4 a-post inner
pic 5 heelboard
pic 6 back of the heelboard showing the sill closing panel
pic 7 heel board box section
pic 8 heelboard welded in
pic 9 welding complete.

• 4 weeks later...

Car's looking good!

rotoflex wrote:
You weldy people make me feel so inadequate.

Welding is not an issue for me (now). I bought a used Lincoln 135 and just started playing with it. The folks that make me feel in adequate are the ones who can restore a car in worse shape than mine was in about a year.

• 9 months later...

hello all,

well after a long time of not keeping up the resto on here, here is some more.
work has been continuing all the time as family and work allow.
at present, the welding is almost complete, the following is the passenger side being reconstructed in pictures,
the drivers side just need the outer sill on which will be done in the next fortnight, then its body off and put it on its side to catch the new panels with weld underneath.
however i realize i am running out of space, so the body off bit will have to wait, i am hoping to put a bigger garage at the other side of my house, this will give me the space i need to finish.

the following is the story of the passenger side, it became more difficult than i at first thought as when i got into it i realized the apost upper panel was no good.
you can buy a new panel, but you dont get the gubbins thats behind it, so this has to be carefully cut out and welded back onto the new panel.
initialy when doing the a post, i lost the door gap, but managed to get this back with the box section that i cut and wedged in from the heelboard to the screen pillar. i judged this gap was ok  when the windscreen glass fitted just right .