Replacement seats for Vitesse

Billus99

Just got my Vitesse back on the road after a couple of years off, and realise the seats are seriously uncomfortable! I have seen pics of XJS seats fitted, but these aren't that easy to track down for a reasonable price / in good condition.
Anyone got any good ideas for replacement seats, that fit easily enough? I ideally want leather ones with headrests, and they need to fold forward for access to the rear.
Any ideas gratefully received!
Thanks

I've got MX-5 in mine, much more comfortable and good back support.  I bought cloth, but always keep an eye out for leather having been quoted stupid mother to re-cover them.  MX-5 series one are a fairly straightforward fit, get a set with runners and then it's just a set of new holes for the bolts, big bolts.  They fold forward nicely and have speakers in the headrest which is also a bonus.

As a point of interest, you can also get an MX-5 wind deflector that slips over the seats and is quite effective for not a huge amount of money although not, perhaps, the most stylish.  

There's almost no rear leg room in one of these anyway, so it's not a huge issue. They flip forward a long way though so that'll help access but you'll have to readjust your seat after. Hardly a shotgun to the mouth situation.

I've fitted MX5 mk2.5 heated seats. The runners on the passenger seat are narrower than the Triumph ones and you can't use any existing floor holes for them - something I've never seen stated before and took me by surprise. Yet they matched the floorpan of the mk1 they came out of??? You will need to fashion a way of supporting the rear of both seats, but that's the same for almost any non-Triumph seat you'd fit.

9496 wrote:
Thanks for the advice,  everyone - I hadn't noticed the adjacent post so it looks like mgf probably the best bet.

I resurrected it for you ;)

I think the MGF seats suit the existing Interior style the best, I do like the MX5 seats aswell though.

Regards

Gary

3546 wrote:

As a point of interest, you can also get an MX-5 wind deflector that slips over the seats and is quite effective for not a huge amount of money although not, perhaps, the most stylish.  

Re the wind deflector.
That's interesting where did you get it from? Does it just fit over the heat rests?
I have MX5 seats in my Herald and TR6 very comfortable and quite cheap. There is a place just north of Peterborough (they are on Ebay) that breaks MX5 and often has good seats for sale.

cheers
mike

• 2 weeks later...

The MX5 Seats certainly seem to sit lower and go back further than the MGF Seats, they look smaller?

If your over 5' 8" Tall they will be better.

I've got MGF seats in my Car, I'm 5' 8" and have the seats as far back as they will go? :-/    

They catch on the Hood Well/'B' Post bit :(

Nick

there's no doubt they are far comfier than standard seats, but don't you find the seats hit the Hoodwell/B Post when you slide them back?

I know the Herald/Vitesse models are only 5' wide too, which doesn't give a lot of space sideways either?

I could certainly do with a bit more rearward travel on my seats.

When I fitted them I had to raise them about 20mm and also outwards slightly to clear the transmission tunnel because I used the MGF Runners, maybe I ought to have fitted them to the Triumph runners :-/  

I have recently installed MX5 (model 2.5) leather seats into my Vitesse conv.  The best thing I have ever done to it - it has completely transformed the car from one where the seats were painful after a while and which didn't sit well on the floor, to one that is sublime to sit in.

I decided to go down the route of making plates for the runners to bolt to.  The plates were then bolted to the floor using the original holes as I didn't want to butcher the floor about.

The seats tilt forward and are easy enough for people to get in behind without any issues.

The added bonus is that they are the heated variety.  Just need to get around to putting in an alternator and a couple of switches and relays and I'll be away!!  Will be great for the winter!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've bought and installed a pair of mgf seats. They look great, and I've retained the mgf runners as they are vastly superior to the horrible old triumph ones.
Only problem is I can't get the drivers seat to go back far enough, without fouling on the b post. It's "ok", after a bit of fettling, so I will live with it til after triumfest, but any advice on hoe others have installed these would be appreciated!
I have used ally bar to replace triumph runners, with 2 cross pieces per seat at front and rear.  I'll be at triumfest on Sunday with the vitesse if anyone wants to compare notes!
Cheers
Andy

excellent, thanks very much! All I need now is the energy to take the seats out for the 3rd time, grind off the front mounts, and remake the brackets, but I can see exactly what you are getting at and why they will fit better....
Cheers
Andy

• 1 month later...

I've got my MGF Seats spaced 21mm up from the floor, they are offset to the Steering wheel, but then so are the standard seats?

My seats are as close to the Transmission tunnel as I can get them without fouling the transmission tunnel, they are still nearly touching the Door cards on my car though, they are a tight fit to say the least!

If you have a Saloon they should go back further than the convertibles.  

Thanks Gary that's very helpful, mine is a saloon so theirs plenty of space, I put the drivers seat in the other day and was a bit worried that like you say the seat is a bit off to the steering wheel, when I sat in it felt a bit funny with me looking down at the wheel and it been slightly to the right and then the pedals are off set again to the right bet it will seem very weird to drive! thanks again for the help.

I daresay you could adapt any number of seats but steer away from electric/air bag type as the driver and passenger are often very different to each other. I think the trick is to match the replacement seats with the rear as much as you can. I have MX5 in my GT6 and very comfortable on long runs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have refitted the seats for a third time, and thought they were better, but still can't get the seat to go back far enough. Mine is a convertible, so less room than saloon.  So....
I think I need to swap them for MX5 ones. The hunt starts again!

If anyone is interested in true mgf seats, c/w brackets to mount to standard mounting holes, pm me! They are in the pictures further up this post, vgc seats.

Andy