Guppy916

Hi I find I am needing advice again please guys, I am just starting the reupholster stage, I think somewhere I read / heard that Millboard is the best way to go, for the door cards any body have any experance with it, also where to buy some I am in Hampshire, ta

Ta guys, I thought milliard was water resistance, will hardboard do with a couple of coats of varnish be okay ,,, the alloy way sounds nice how thick a sheet did you use ?? did the glue stick okay ????  AND do i still need the sheet of polythene between the card and the door to keep the damp away? thanks

Ta guys, I thought milliard was water resistance, will hardboard do with a couple of coats of varnish be okay ,,, the alloy way sounds nice how thick a sheet did you use ?? did the glue stick okay ????  AND do i still need the sheet of polythene between the card and the door to keep the damp away? thanks

Some years ago visited a Jag restoration business with the car club. They used a plastic sheet about 5mm thick from memory for door cards. They remarked at the time that they were waterproof. No idea what it was but was white.
Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Quoted from Guppy916
Upholster man said no to plastic as he cant staple to it

I find this strange as I have reupholstered motorcycle seats and use staples on it and they held way better than in most other materials. I would ask another upholster before dismissing using a plastic sheet type card. I do use a pneumatic stapler though because it is a hard material for the seats.
Cheers.

Hello,
I'm not sure about later cars, but my Mk2 Spitfire had the vinyl stapled to the door cards when I got it. No reason to think they were replacement cards. Later I bought some very good replacement door cards and other similarly constructed panels for the car and they all have staples. The staples are very short, but they hold nicely.
                                                                                            Regards,
                                                                                            Paul

a few words you might do well to listen to.

first, the metal clips that hold the door cards to the door have a set bend in them, if memory serves, its about 2.5 mm. you will struggle to fit these clips if you opt for a thicker than standard board,

the clips are fitted into a round hole for a reason, to add miss alinment of any kind.

if you was to glue your vynol direct to the door card, you cant then fit the metal clips as you have covered there hole,
if you leave this erea void of glue, the clips show through from the front.

the reason the vynol was stappeled was so a thin cushin type membrain could be sandwitched between everything and hide the clips from showing.

I am a floor layer by trade, we used loads of hardboard for flooring prep, pre oiled or not, both are recomended to be soaked and layed flat with weight on prier to use.

plastic and staples is probbaly the way I would go

but its not so easy to work with as hardboard

I  steered away from hardboard, cardboard, millboard  and mdf  ( horrible stuff  swells  up like  sponge at a hint of water)
Plastic is the way to go
5 mm polycarbonate (B&Q) twin wall. 2 doors  work out at about about £6 total.
Use old card(or what's left of it if if they were lke mine) as template
Only tricky bit is cutting holes properly= time, care and patience required.Hole punch for smaller holes

The problem  re staples?  = don't use them   Bostik sticks vinyl  on to the plastic.