Spitfire rear spring rebuild help

Andy_w83

Hi,
Does anyone have any bright ideas where to get something to replace the the role pins that go between the clamps on the rear springs?

I have been around my local shops that sell  fixings etc and got the bolts no problem but nowhere has anything to match these they only look like steel role pins and I refuse to pay the £4 each that rimmers want plus I would really like to rebuild the spring tomorrow if possible.

Thanks in advance
Andy

You don`t need them The only purpose of them is to stop you over tightening the bolt and then squeezing the clamp at the top, totally cosmetic to make the spring neater, The only purpose of the clamp is to stop the leaves twisting, some manufactures use to knock the top of the clamps over other like triumph a bolt and collar and some just up to the top of the main leaf

cheers Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

6817 wrote:
Yet another question! I have put the new polybushes in the spring but they seem to be getting squashed making them longer than the metal insert, if that makes sense! Any ideas? It was all assembled using grease.

Thanks Andy

I've just replaced my spring rubbers with Polybush red's. you don't use grease, washing up liquid is recommended, not sure if this will have an impact during installation but it could hinder the operation of the bush.

Thanks for the replys, the bushed came from Rimmers so I should think they are ok. I will remove them and take some measurements then give them a call.

Doing some reasearch on the net I found out about the washing up liquid so as well. So after I have done the above I will pop them back in using washing up liquid.

Cheers
Andy

• 2 weeks later...