Revolution wheels problems :/

WIMPUS

Got new tyre's on my brand new Revolution wheels ..
Now i can't turn the steering wheel !  :-/ :-/ The top suspension arm is hitting it :/

It's also lowered a bit because of the new springs and spax shocks ..
What to do now ?!?  :B :B

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably need a small wheel spacer 5, maybe 10mm.

We tried my Cosmic alloy's on Gaz's (uksnatcher) Spitfire and they looked very similar.

It was cured by fitting 10mm spacers but he already had upgraded to longer 12mm wheel studs so there were no problems with stud length/strength.

tiggrr1 wrote:
You probably need a small wheel spacer 5, maybe 10mm.

We tried my Cosmic alloy's on Gaz's (uksnatcher) Spitfire and they looked very similar.

It was cured by fitting 10mm spacers but he already had upgraded to longer 12mm wheel studs so there were no problems with stud length/strength.

i've sended him a email  ;)

Hi Wim.
(PM sent but same reply posted here mate)

Mine are old school genuine England made revs, 13 x 6 and have an offset of 29 and are designed for a Morris Marina so i fitted 10mm alloy spacers all round as mine did the same.

Whats the size and offset (printed on the back of one of the spokes) of yours wim?

I belive there are issues with new Asian made Revs having wrong offsets tho stated for for Triumphs???  Not sure anybody else know?

Gaz's pictures show a problem that I have posted about before.
Revolutions are now made in China and have a bigger central hole than they used to.  When drilled for the unusually narrow Triumph PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter - the circle that the wheel studs live on) there is little 'meat' between them and the hole.
I've been warned against them by people who I trust, because they refused to supply me with some Revolutions for this reason.  No one will refuse a sale unless they really doubt the safety of a product.

If you want to fit spacers you should fit longer, stronger front studs as well.
Ford will do, or Land Roaver, I believe.  You will need to to file a flat on the ehad of the Ford studs to lt them lie next to the hub.  Which is helpful as they have the wrong splines, and th flat vwill stop them turning.

John

Those moss spacers are too expensive.

These are the exact ones i bought..  ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Off-Wheel-Spacer-4-Hole-10mm-Universal-Fitment-/280564625002?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4152f46e6a#ht_357wt_1161
They dont appear to ship to Europe but drop them a message, they are a good setup so should sort you out. I would get 4, two for the back wheels also.

Dont know but mine do say Made In England and i have the original reciept of purchased brand new dated 9th Aug 1990, at 48.98 +vat @ 15% each

I bought the center caps recently for about 30 quid to suit the 63mm center hole, they also do a 66mm cap too, assuming thats the larger newer hole??

This is a known problem with the new Revs currently on sale. ET25 IIRC.  Strangely they seem to fit some cars (just) but not others.  Me, I would be beating on the suppliers skull because if sold to fit a Triumph spitfire then they should damn well fit one without pratting about with spacers.....  The oversize hole in the centre is another thing to be concerned about.  Was always a problem with Cosmics and they do crack there quite frequently.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
This is a known problem with the new Revs currently on sale. ET25 IIRC.  Strangely they seem to fit some cars (just) but not others.

Nick

GT6 / Vitesse front hubs sit a little further out than Spitfires, different upright, bigger hub/stub axle....i know because Stes Compomotive wheels didnt rub on his GT6 wishbone, but when fitted to mine with spit hubs they rubbed.....i had to use spacers. So compaired a couple of other wheels and same results, the wheels sit further away from the top wishbone on the GT6.

Maybe, just maybe ...the 25mm offset on the new 5.5J Revs is for GT6/Vitesse and a lower offset is needed for the spit/herald????

Also the original now v.desirable 5.5J 13" Dunlop steel wheel has an ET of 16mm....designed to fit all???

Wim, to be honest I'd be talking to the supplier. If those wheels are supposed to be right, the supplier is either telling fibs or doesn't know much about Triumphs.

As for the Chinese Wheel Syndrome, I have the same problem. Unfortunately, freighting them back to Britain would cost a couple of hundred dollars  :( The wheels look beautiful but will probably only ever be for show. So that's about $800 down the drain!

Nick_Moore wrote:

As for the Chinese Wheel Syndrome, I have the same problem. Unfortunately, freighting them back to Britain would cost a couple of hundred dollars  :( The wheels look beautiful but will probably only ever be for show. So that's about $800 down the drain!

Don't be silly.... I've been using mine quite happily for 2 years with no problem and my car is not a garage queen.

These were on ebay last week and sold as fitting his GT6 but not fitting a Spitfire due to wishbone fouling:

It has Made in England printed on one of the spokes but not like mine, also the inner lip has notches, and the center hole looks alot bigger too....are these the China ones?

You will need revolution wheel sleeve nuts and washers Wim, here are the M12 ones (I assume you have upgraded your wheel studs to M12 )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORTINA-P100-REVOLUTION-WHEEL-NUT-CHROME-M12X1-5-/281018058144?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416dfb45a0#ht_1898wt_1161

Some cheap 10mm spacers will sort you out mate, dont loose sleep over them, they will be fine and look great on your motor...!  :)

uksnatcher wrote:
You will need revolution wheel sleeve nuts and washers Wim, here are the M12 ones (I assume you have upgraded your wheel studs to M12 )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORTINA-P100-REVOLUTION-WHEEL-NUT-CHROME-M12X1-5-/281018058144?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416dfb45a0#ht_1898wt_1161

Some cheap 10mm spacers will sort you out mate, dont loose sleep over them, they will be fine and look great on your motor...!  :)

mine are the original studs and no sleeved nuts ( look at the rimmers site, same nuts like on minilights ) ..

Even already looked at other wheels  :B But the revo's where my favorit from the start .

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005756

Gaz , are these any good or can i find them cheaper anywhere else ?  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAYSTON-PACK-OF-2-UNIVERSAL-WHEEL-SPACERS-SHIMS-10mm-4-STUD-PCD-95-114mm-PAIR-/230838735316?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item35bf0f91d4

Any M12 nuts with the standard 60 degree taper will do, scrap yard is a good place to get some cheap.. ;)

You will have to modify the plastic caps somewhat, IE remove the springs and file/grind the lugs down and possibly make the holes bigger.

I made the caps an interference fit on the wheel nuts so just push on, you could make them so the wheel nuts hold the cap on with a little fettling.. ;)  

4526 wrote:
Gaz , are these any good or can i find them cheaper anywhere else ?  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAYSTON-PACK-OF-2-UNIVERSAL-WHEEL-SPACERS-SHIMS-10mm-4-STUD-PCD-95-114mm-PAIR-/230838735316?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item35bf0f91d4

Just seen you are on standard wheel studs, the spacer is not an option...they are too short :-/

To fit the spacers , you will need to upgrade the studs, the longer M12 Landrover Freelander the easiest and if the Revs are a standard 60 degree taper fitment any M12 wheel nut will do looking at Rimmers site.

uksnatcher wrote:
These were on ebay last week and sold as fitting his GT6 but not fitting a Spitfire due to wishbone fouling:

I suppose there could be a difference in the horizontal distance from the hub flange to the edge of the upper & lower wishbones between a GT6 and a Spitfire.

GT6 does have bigger (and deeper?) bearings.

But it must be a minimal difference.  :-/

uksnatcher wrote:

Just seen you are on standard wheel studs, the spacer is not an option...they are too short :-/

To fit the spacers , you will need to upgrade the studs, the longer M12 Landrover Freelander the easiest and if the Revs are a standard 60 degree taper fitment any M12 wheel nut will do looking at Rimmers site.

goddammit :/  :B  extra work .. Do i need to put spacers at the back also ?  :-/