One of my friends is selling some 13 X 5.5 rims with a +18mm offset off a formula ford, Everyone seems to recommend a +25mm offset for that size rim so i just wanted to know if a +18 offset will be ok or will my tyres scrub the guards? They will have 175/70 tyres. I don't have the option of trying them on my car before I buy them.

Thanks

The offset should be to bring the tyre centre to factory specification for the car, so it should be that the tyre size is what dictates the clearances.

I accept that people change offsets for different reasons, such as caliper clearance or special purpose vehicles, but this is not ideal for a car used for its original purpose.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Bit worried that they might foul the wishbones, as the offset does'nt look brill.

Take the car to your friend and try them on it.

That's what I was thinking but from what ive read people recommend a +25 offset what would push the wheel closer to the wishbones... so if a +25 is ok a +18 would be. Also a standard rim is +13 so the rim will be 30mm closer to the wishbones than a standard rim, I have measured it and it should be ok. but the tyre will rub full lock onto the boot of the steering arm.

And cheers thescrapman be interesting to find out what peoples 5.5s are actually offset

The 5.5" Revolutions currently being sold are quoted as having a 25mm ET.  Some people have reported these as being extremely close to or even catching on the upper wishbones and requiring spacers to fit properly.  On that basis ET 18 (if you mean ET?) sounds like a better bet.

I do know that ET13 works fine on 6" wheels.

Nick

Just for information I have a set of plain steel dunlops 5.5 x 13 ET 16, they fit a MK3 Spit and a Vitesse, but rub on the arches of my Mk2 GT6 fitted with rotofex. Tyres are 175 70 13. The later Spits and GT6 have more space in the arches but not sure how they would fit with the later longer shafts.

Mark