wide rear  wheels

macca x

1344 wrote:
5.5 steels with 185 tyres,the tyres have about 5mm clearance from the arches.
I do have some neg chamber on the rear without that I think the tyres would rub !
If 175's were fitted there would be more room

love your wheels thats what im after how wide are they ? i was going for 7" wide deep dish, with 175/70/13 tyres

5935 wrote:

love your wheels thats what im after how wide are they ? i was going for 7" wide deep dish, with 175/70/13 tyres

175 width seems to work best on 5.5 or 6inch rims. There's not a lot of room under the arches to fit wider rims. Up front, wide rims can foul the firewall. The pictures will give you more of an idea. My wheels are factory 5.5" Dunlops, not widened rims.

5935 wrote:
hi all im having my standerd 13" wheels widend ( rear wheels) and i like to know how wide i can go without having to mess with the arches any advice would be useful my car is a 67 herald ,thanks

Surely any company confident enough to cut and weld wheels will be competent with a tape measure? There's nothing to catch on other than the lip of the arch really.

5935 wrote:

they are the same as peter's,
factory 5.5" Dunlops, not widened rims.
remember i do have 185/60 tyres !
as i said the rears are very very tight
and the fronts -----well,erm

7" wide is too much really, the tyres will look stretched and  unstable, especially as these old wheels go not have the beads fitted as modern wheels do.

If you do go ahead measure the things that could get in your way, arch, shocks, tie rods.

The current fashion with "euro look" and "retro" stuff is to run wide wheels with the narrowest tyres possible stretched over them.  That is probably the look that the poster is after.  Much as it is a fashion that I think looks crap that is not why I'd advise against it.
Modern wheels have a different rim design to old ones.  Most of the wheels used for widening are modern for VW etc. the rim on those is designed to stop the tyre coming off - as stated above there is a risk of the tyre coming off when stretched over an old style rim.  If you must go for this style try and find a newer set of rims to start with.  TR7 rims can be made to fit and are modern enough that they incorporate the correct type of rim.  Anyone competent enough to split and widen can mod the TR7 wheels - I believe the shape of the wheel nuts are different.
If you look at the rim with a tyre removed and compare to a modern you will see that there is a sort of double set or shoulder, it is this that stops the tyre moving.  There is an argument that you shouldn't even use radials (as opposed to crossplys) on old rims as they do not have the sidewall strength - many folk fit tubes just to be on the safe side, but again there are arguments against fitting tubes to tubelesss tyres.
Having said all that, if you go ahead it will probably be horrible to drive... but if it is in the interests of looking cool....

Hi There new member here and reading this with interest, i have bought some 1970's Cobra Superslots and they are 6j x13" i was thinking of 175/70/13 tyres on these, car is totally standard and no plans to modify it, will they be OK? They came off a Herald kitcar and had 165/13 on but they looked wrong. My Herald is a 1970 1200 saloon. many thanks :)

You can get 6" on Heralds and Vitesses provided the offset/ET is right.  I think more than that may be pushing it without arch mods unless you get the offset spot-on.

I have 6" with ET13 on my Vitesse with 175/70 tyres.  Fronts rub on bulkhead and arch lips occasionally if well loaded but the car is already lowered.

Nick

1344 wrote:
5.5 steels with 185 tyres,the tyres have about 5mm clearance from the arches.
I do have some neg chamber on the rear without that I think the tyres would rub !
If 175's were fitted there would be more room

sorry for the newbie question but are these standered vitesse wheels because mine are not as deep set as these ,my hub caps are flush with my rims?

The 3.5 and 4.5 wheels are indeed the two standard options. I understand the 4.5 was more prevalent (standard?) on later variations like the Mk1 and Mk2 Vitesse and 13/60 Herald. The 5.5 Dunlops are like hen's teeth. They are the Triumph equivalent to the wheels fitted to the Lotus Cortina.

I see in the photo's that your car and that of PETER.CROW both have negative camber on the rear can you advise me how this is achieved as i do not like the look of the standard positive camber on my 13/60.

5935 wrote:

2580 wrote:
I see in the photo's that your car and that of PETER.CROW both have negative camber on the rear can you advise me how this is achieved as i do not like the look of the standard positive camber on my 13/60.

i was just reading about that, lowering block fitted to the rear leaf spring but im sure someone will be along to give you some info

I have fitted a spitfire swing spring.
I got the spring from a fellow member on here. The spring has been "messed about with"
I believe he told me that a couple of the leave had been "turned over" and instead of alll the springs being different there is now two the same lenth amongst them
There is no lowering fitted to my car,it's all down to the spring !
The wife's convertable is at standard height

From this at the rear

To this