Head gasket or not?

Steve P

I have a herald with an FH (Spit MK4 1300) engine in,its been off the road since 1979.
I removed the head last year and reseated the valves and cleaned it up,refitted using an old stock gasket set.when i first ran it it was sweet and quiet.Now after the winter i have resumed work on it and when run today it was chucking water out of the overflow and bubbling constantly,the gauge was reading normal in the middle but on inspection of the rocker cover there is emulsion all over the underside and quite a lot of white smoke started coming from the exhaust,it also seemed difficult to turn over after a while so i stopped.
Head off again or not?

It lives outside under a cover by the way.
Steve

My GT6 had antifreeze in and was in a heated garage over the winter but with the temps we had it still poped the radiator!!

You problem sounds like head gasket failure.  Whip the head off and have a look before trying to start it again.  Water in the bores may bend a rod if you try and start it again!

Bores have water in them,cant see any blow on the gasket,why do i have such crap luck with triumph engines.

Does that mean possible cracked head or block?

I have a 13/60 head in the garage,is that compatible?
Steve

I had same problem with my dare i say it ford fiesta less than 1000 miles between the head gasket going all because i didnt put antifreeze in the 2nd time! was slow to turn over but did eventually start and sounded like a subaru shame it didnt go like one!

Head is off now, there was an inch of water in each bore,it was an old stock Payen headset from last years Stoneleigh.

The car is off the road and  has been standing outside under cover for the whole winter,hasn`t run apart from the first fire up after 30 years off the road which was for about 15 minutes and it looked fine then with no pressurising and smooth running.

The engine was unknown(came as a spare with the car)the original Herald engine was seized so as i said i removed the head and cleaned it all and fitted the Spitfire engine.

Bores look fine but i suppose i`ll have to get the head checked.I have a Herald 13/60 head so i will compare those and use it if its the same.
Steve  

"Head is off now, there was an inch of water in each bore,"
Did you ascertain which bores had water in them prior to lifting the head (via the plug holes)?
That amount of water in each bore would prevent an engine turning over so was not there  "when run today it was chucking water out of the overflow" so assume most of it came from the cooling system as the head was lifted so not much help diagnosing where the problem lies.

Archived