Mating engine to gearbox

Simon Phipps

Good morning, I'm new to this forum. I have been rebuilding a 1980 triumph spitfire 1500 and am now in the process to refitting the engine in to the car but have run into the last hurdle of the 1 inch gap that I cannot seem to close up between the bell housing and engine plate.

Car is in gear
Engine mounts on and loose for movement
Zip tie is around the clutch bearing lever to pull it forward
Gear box is over a jack. Engine still have the hoist connected on rear to adjust.

Just can't seem to get any further movement. Does anyone have any further tip or even better live in the London/Ilford area to lend a hand. It may just be in now quite getting it there doing it on my own.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Simon

Has the clutch been replaced?

If so was it correctly aligned before fitting, if not you will have to take it off and align it. with the tool or if some local has a spare input shaft.

Try to get the gap all the way around the bellhousing even. The bellhousing and backplate must be parallel!

Put it in gear (4th) and try rotating the output flange of the box as you push onto the engine to get the splines engaged.

I use a trolley jack under the gearbox to make pushing in a bit easier. Try putting some long bolts through the bell housing to engine holes to make sure its level/parallel and in the correct position. As said by Richard: 4th gear and turn the flange as you push. Two people are a must unless you're lucky.

I place two rods passing through the engine plate and the bell housing top bolt holes, then you ensure the plate and bell housing are parallel top to bottom and each side. Generally the rear of the engine needs to be lifted  some height to align parts.

Graham

Bolts wont be secure or at right angles to the faces, unless they have nuts tightened on them.  How will you get them off?

Better is to replace the three studs the screw through the engine plate, into the block, with long studs or long bolts with no heads.    5/16 UNF from memory.  Do not let the 'box hang on them, they are a guide.

You can make a simple tool to 'wiggle' the output shaft with the 'box in gear.   Can't post a pic from here, but I've done so before, maybe search for it.

John, in Rio

Quoted from heksu
Stupid comment. Is it possible to install motor & gearbox bolted together. Im changing my motor next month..

yes you can no problem. Obviously its really important to get the engine/gearbox hanging at the right angle on the hoist but you then just thread it into place ideally with a helper inside the car to guide it in. The bits that are best removed the seats and gearbox cover but its not necessary to unbolt the bonnet.....

Quoted from Shoe grip
I can't think what they are called but there is an adjustable balance bar available from places like machine mart which allows you to very accurately adjust the angle the engine/box is sitting at. This makes engine installation safe and easy.

You dont really need one as the Spit assembly needs to be `jer jiggled `quite a bit ,especially under the bulkhead
Just hanging by the engine head mounts is sufficicient

Quoted from Shoe grip
I can't think what they are called but there is an adjustable balance bar available from places like machine mart which allows you to very accurately adjust the angle the engine/box is sitting at. This makes engine installation safe and easy.

Useful things for installing engines (with or without gearbox) and very easy to DIY if you have more time than cash.

Simon,
First time I re-fitted a gearbox I had a b1tch of a job getting it to mate with the engine on the Spit, I spent ages jiggling the engine and box up and down and rotating things to try and get them to slide together. Hang in there, take it steady and DON'T FORCE it - all of a sudden it'll just thunk together. I ended up with a plank on a jack with the engine on one end and the 'box on the other - that seemed to help.
Regards,
Sam

Quoted from yorkshire_spam
Simon,
First time I re-fitted a gearbox I had a b1tch of a job getting it to mate with the engine on the Spit, I spent ages jiggling the engine and box up and down and rotating things to try and get them to slide together. Hang in there, take it steady and DON'T FORCE it - all of a sudden it'll just thunk together. I ended up with a plank on a jack with the engine on one end and the 'box on the other - that seemed to help.
Regards,
Sam

Philip made a box bracket, bolted to block , we slid a piece of 4 x 2 into it and we both lifted the engine into place as we were able to `jiggle `it..Good old Yorkshire brute force

Quoted Text

Previously, Ive posted a series of pics of the manoeuvres needed to exract/ install engine and gearbox together without talk g the bonnet off on my Vitesse.   P!ease search for it.

John, in Rio

Sorry , link no longer available
Sorry , link no longer available

As long as the clutch is correctly lined up and the spigot bush and bearing are ok there's no reason why it won't go . I use the old long bolt/stud trick and a good eyecrometer to get get it right . I work usually by myself on 2500 o/d boxes. Turning the shaft a bit to line up the splines also helps.
To me bolting the engine and box together makes an unstable and heavy load. You'll also need heavy lifting gear. As has been said be a bit patient and all will drop into place.  (angry)
Tony.