MSter

After perhaps a little too much practicing my welder went pop it was a clarke 85amp gasless welder.

I am now in the process of sourcing a new/secondhand one but there are so many out there i really dont know what to buy.

I was advised to go for no less than 150amp as i can always turn the power down.

Can anyone advise me of any good units that have purchase or used and would recommend.

Does anyone have a good unit they wish to sell??

I was also advised the likes of sealey and clarke are consumable units and to go for something better any advice greatly received.

I have alot of welding to do.

Everything I know about welding I picked up from mig-welding.co.uk Forum. They have a "which welder" section.

It's lower powered than you're after, but I recently bought an inexpensive baby MIG (Clarke Pro* 90) on the basis it was ideal for beginners and low powered enough for car bodywork. Getting good results considering I've never welded before.

Hello Mster,

you say "I have alot of welding to do."

Is it all car work or varying thickness?
Personally I favour oxy\acetylene, but I realise it's not for everyone; it's plus point is it's versatility so it depends on what work you intend to do?

Alec

I had a Clarke 150TE for quite a while. I upgraded to a bigger unit when I started repairing a Land-Rover chassis.

The circa 150 unit's by Clarke, SIP, etc are all much the same in terms of quality (or so I believe).

A big (refillable) bottle is a better bet than gasless; unless you are doing a lot of welding outside in windy conditions.

i have a clarke 135 turbo had it about 10 years, Its rebuilt so many cars that i`ve forgottn how many. It does everything i need and if you turn it up will weld thicker than any metal on cars,
When it does finally give up the ghost will replace it with a bigger one but that is only because of the amount of welding i do.
To convert it to the big bottles you need a regulator and some tube, think you can buy the things you need from seeley and places like that.

cheers andy  

Sealey's are good for what they cost.
I wouldn't bother with a gas less one, I don't think the results are as good and you're actually going to pay extra for that facility, unless of course you prefer gas less welding.
I'm just an amateur at welding but have friends who weld for a living and they all gave me that advice before I bought my rig, but I knew better of course! But they were all correct, gas welding is so much better.
The old adage remains: buy the best you can afford.

I would disagree about sip and clarke being similar.
I had a clarke 90, a brilliant machine that will  turn down nice and low, some bigger welders WON'T so do check any specs. After several years it finally packed up, until that point only requiring tips and a couple of liners.
replaced with waht I thought was a better unit, the sip130turbo. Nothing but grief. Eventually improved a fair bit by using a steel liner (bit like bike brake outer cable) but the wire feed was always grief and needed all sorts of fettling. Then the relays started seizing on, so the wire just kept feeding.
I replaced with a 150 amp cloarke, not really as good as the 90 for cars but will work for 4-5mm steel which is handy.

All my migs have been gasless. I use them outside, so gas would be problematical. Also the gasless will work even if the prep is less than 100%, which is very handy for awkward corners.
On balance a gas mig is a better bet, and will give nicer welds. But too many slag gasless off without trying it ;)

has anyone got any pictures of the welding they have done with a clarke or sip welder someone who has helped me weld in the past is strongly advising me against a clarke or sip or sealey, clarke seem to get good reviews for the decent ones was just wondering if anyone had any pics so i can see the quality of the weld it produces.

Weld quality down to operator skill, machine set-up, gas type being used, cleanliness of workpiece - I could go on.....  It is certainly true that some are easier to use than others though.

FWIW I bought a Clarke 100E in about 1987 and it was still working as recently as last year.  Dead now, but not a bad innings for a cheapy as it had seen plenty of use and abuse.  I did add a cooling fan to it and painted the heatsinks black.  Duty cycle was much improved.  I "replaced it" 10 years with a used but newer semi-pro industrial SIP 160 unit, but if I was expecting improved performance I was disappointed.  The SIP has a nicer Euro torch but doesn't weld any better and I've dragged the Clarke back out several times when the SIP was driving me nuts.  Certainly I'd consider Clarke the best of the cheapies.

Nick

I've had my SIP migmate turbo 130 for coming up to 10 years. Almost all my welding has been outside and I've always used gas. I've used it for quite a few weldathons - Dolly, TR7 and Acclaim and the more I've used it the better the welding. Don't like the switching arrangement that's used for the power setting although once the right combination's found it works OK. My advise is:

1. practice, practice, practice and more practice.
2. make sure you are welding solid metal, i.e. cut out all the rust
3. get it as clean as you can
4. DON'T WELD WEARING VARIFOCAL LENSES, when I swapped to my reading glasses I improved by 100%
5. Check the mask filter is not too dark or use a 500 watt lamp to light up what you're doing
6. make sure you are positioned comfortably and your body is stable, a wobblely welding hand is useless
7. speaking of hands wear welding gloves at all times, rigger gloves are ok at a pinch but it's still possible to get UV burns with them
8. wear thick overalls, welders ones if possible and wear boots, I found slip on ones are best 'cos if a blob of weld gets through believe me you want that boot of as fast as possible.
9. wear old clothing underneath unless you don't mind holes in your best tee-shirt, jeans, socks etc plus an ear'olin' off the missus when she's found them whilst doing the ironing
10. relax, the number of times I've caught myself holding my breath, which results in rushing and most likely a crap weld.

The above are not in any particular order, except perhaps number one and I'm sure others can add another ten. I've found welding to be frustrating on occasions but very rewarding when it all gos right. Good luck

I managed to sort my wire feed issues out on my sip by replacing the liner with a new en from halfrauds.
I then used a washer on the wire spindle, and a spring sandwiched between that and the thumb screw at the end of the spindle. Not sure if that how it's supposed to be as mine was absent any anti birds nest device but it works well. The spring applies enough force to stop the coiled wire unravelling without putting undue tension on the wire.
Full day of happy welding on Sunday!

I use a Migmate here. Can be an almighty pain in the arse! They're also known for changing their settings when you move the welder around. That's great fun when you've spent some time getting the weld just right then need to move the whole unit to repeat on the other side of the car!  ;D

Who is advising against a clarke? beware of the pub talf and chinese whispers. As I have said I have owned sip and clarke. Clarke is far better. Look at teh mig welding forum, same thing. Look up the problems with the smaller sip, and it becomes obvious.

Otherwise, spend out and buy a portamig, murex or other quality machine, but it does get expensive for the pro kit.

Ok the person advising me against Clarke is a guy who does all lifting tackle welding of beams etc.
I can either buy a good quality clarke 160tm ready for the refillable bottles goes down low enough on the amps for body panels and high enough should i ever need to weld thicker stuff or a secondhand migatronic if i can find a single phase.
The mig welding forum seems to rave clarkes but cant seem to find any pictures of the quality of weld they provide.
Whilst i know my welding will not be visable i want it to look good and be proud of the quality of workmanship and not like a thousand seagulls have pebledashed the underside of the car.
I wanna buy something thats gonna last me a good few years i know for around £300 i can no where near buy the best but would like to make a good investment as i would not easily be able to but another should i make the wrong decision!!
Any help advice greatly received.

cliftyhanger wrote:
As I have said I have owned sip and clarke. Clarke is far better.

Ditto although I went from a 100Amp SIP mini-Mig to a Clarke 150TE, so not comparing like for like.

The Clarke was great, until I started taking on bigger and bigger jobs and so ended up with a 255 Nu-Tool.

Archived