Windscreen Chrome surround tool

markcro

I'm about to "try" to fit the front and rear chrome windscreen surrounds on my GT6. I've have them in a box for 4 years now so I think that it's near time! I was watching Wheeler Dealers and they used a handy tool to insert them into the rubber. Does anyone know where to get such a tool? Or any tips on inserting the chrome strips?

Ta!

Unless the Ebay tool includes different attachments, it won't be much use for the front screen on a GT6 Mk3, OK for the rear though.
Pretty sure I recognise the Frost tool, it includes attachments which will help with the front finisher - makes a difficult job out of an impossible one! I'm surprised they're that expensive from Frost though, most people complain at spending a lot less than that for the same tool,

Cheers,
Bill.

Are there multiple fitments for the front screen on the GT6 Mk3.  I've just purchased the silver trim from Paddocks which is moulded and shaped and in two pieces.  The glass rubber surround is still on the screen as when I took it out it appears to be in good nick.  However, having looked at the silver trim and then the rubber surround I can't see how it can attach as there is one slot on the rubber   that I assume the larger bottom C of the trim slots into but I can then see no way of prizing the upper bit of the C onto the top of the rubber seal..  C is the shape of the silver trim by the way.... confused... I am

The trim on my Spit 1500 is stainless steel. When I restored it I replaced the windscreen and rubber and got the trim off ebay. Think it may have been advertised at GT6 trim. I don't think these tools would work on stainless trim. I remember spending about two days fitting it with a pointed tool I made up.

The original front screen seal has two channels, a deep channel on the inside of the curve, shallow on the outside. The 'C' profile trim sits with one of it's legs in each channel.
Modern replacements are simplified so only the inside channel exists, (supposedly) easier to install the trim but it never sits as well as an original.

Cheers,
Bill.

Bill's ever so smart.
BTW I've got stainless trim too. Blimey is that stuff expensive - and increasingly difficult to get hold of - unless someone knows different.
I had it fitted by Chris from Autoglass when he came to fix the company modern. Few quid in the back pocket and Fanny's your Aunt.

A Rimmers order landed on my desk yesterday. Well on it and beside it, the box was quite large. One of the things I'd ordered was a set of new windscreen trims. What I got was two bits of silverish plastic floppiness and a couple of equally plastic joiners. I didn't think the originals were plastic (my car didn't have any when it arrived) so you've all confirmed what I guessed at 3o'clock yesterday. I've been had.

So now I'm on the hunt for genuine stainless windscreen trims for a GT6-3.  :-/

what a c*ck of a job!!! the very experienced mobile windscreen fitter took 4 hours to fit my last one! the PI two monthe earlier only took 30 minutes. This is not a job for the faint hearted, or for people with a short fuse. However it looks good when done, your fingers will not though!

you will need a pointed tool of sorts to lift the rubber into the chrome inch by inch with lots of soapy water.

Nick_Moore wrote:
A Rimmers order landed on my desk yesterday. Well on it and beside it, the box was quite large. One of the things I'd ordered was a set of new windscreen trims. What I got was two bits of silverish plastic floppiness and a couple of equally plastic joiners. I didn't think the originals were plastic (my car didn't have any when it arrived) so you've all confirmed what I guessed at 3o'clock yesterday. I've been had.

So now I'm on the hunt for genuine stainless windscreen trims for a GT6-3.  :-/

When I bought my car 4 years ago it didn't have the chrome trims on. They came with it in a box. The same as you describe- silver plastic floppiness. They didn't come from Rimmers though, so I presume all of the new ones are like this? I say that they will still look good once fitted though.....whenever that will be! ;)

Nick_Moore wrote:
What I got was two bits of silverish plastic floppiness and a couple of equally plastic joiners. I didn't think the originals were plastic

The earliest ones were stainless steel, but plastic was the norm from the early 1970s onwards. Secondhand steel trims command quite a premium if you can find them.
I think that even the plastic originals used stainless joint pieces though, so plastic versions of those would be a deviation from original,

Cheers,
Bill.

I had a professional install the "T" profile trim for the backglass.  Took him 10 minutes with the right tool.

He also installed the "C" channel trim for the windscreen.  Took him as his associate 4 hours, and that was using new rubber and removing the glass.  He said he will never do another.  

All materials came from VB in the states.

Good luck DIY(ers)!

3106 wrote:
and one of the front - sweet..............

You must have the only cool looking brown car in existence :)

My stainless front screen trim is in a box in the garage waiting for me to gain some courage. The trim thats currently on it is a bit worse for wear but no one seems to have a good story to tell about doing this job so I keep putting it off.

Do I spy a trim strip on the underside of your sill?. If Im correct, is it chrome or body coloured as I have never seen a car with these still on.

4196 wrote:

You must have the only cool looking brown car in existence :)

My stainless front screen trim is in a box in the garage waiting for me to gain some courage. The trim thats currently on it is a bit worse for wear but no one seems to have a good story to tell about doing this job so I keep putting it off.

Do I spy a trim strip on the underside of your sill?. If Im correct, is it chrome or body coloured as I have never seen a car with these still on.

When I bought "Turd" last year, the brown paint was the first thing I wanted to change.  The more I get the car sorted as envisioned. the color is almost beginning to appeal to me.  I think it's more a function of brite trim offsetting a darker color.   It also proves that a sensuously shaped car looks good, regardless of the color.

The glass trim I was able to buy is plastic.  Maybe, not correct but possibly a little more forgiving to install than stainless.  At least it doesn't take a set when bent.

My stainless moldings at the bottom of the sills are in good shape - the mudflaps on the car (as purchsed) probably helped save them.  I imagine the lower seams would get a lot of stone damage with the extreme body cut-in, but that body profile is what helps makes the cars lines so sexy.