SpitfireAddick

My headlights on my '79 Spitfire are quite poor for for visibility so I'm looking at getting new ones. Can anyone recommend any conversion kits or bulbs - whether it be halogen or Xenon etc. I don't want any bulbs that have high energy consumption though. Does the standard headlights use more or less power than halogen?
Thanks
James

I do have cibie/valeo front lights and  H4 Osram night breaker bulbs.
I've got comments a few times that my lights are bright for such an old car .
But best if you fit Halogens that you also fit some relays for the light, then the switch doesn't burn out and then they are brighter also  :)

490 wrote:
Just confirmed they’re Wipac - clear glass lenses with all the beam pattern coming from the reflector behind, so no light-loss through the glass. These are fitted to my GT6 and are superb.

Straight swap for spitfire fittings too? Where did you get all the lights etc from?

They sound like the ones I fitted to mind, same as fitted to Land Rover defenders.
Here's where mine came from:-
http://www.paddockspares.com/pm678-wipac-crystal-halogen-headlamp-conversion-kit-pair-left-hand-dip-uk-and-australia.html

Just make sure when you order those clear lense ones that they don't have the hole for the small side light in the back.
A friend bought some for his defender, and they had the side light hole, so he had to put some tape over it, it doesn't look good!
(Unless you want to use it as an additional light!)

FloydP wrote:
They sound like the ones I fitted to mind, same as fitted to Land Rover defenders.
Here's where mine came from:-
http://www.paddockspares.com/pm678-wipac-crystal-halogen-headlamp-conversion-kit-pair-left-hand-dip-uk-and-australia.html

And these would fit a Spitfire 1500? Is it just headlights and no sidelights?

They fitted my mk1 gt6 perfectly with no issues and there was no sidelight holes in them.
I think the spit 1500 uses the same headlight as the earlier cars, it's a pretty standard 7" headlight that's used on loads of old cars so it should be fine.

The power it will use will depend on the bulbs you put in them, but I think the ones they supply with them are the same rating as the originals. Osram night breakers will give more light for the same power if you want them even brighter.