Mk3 Spit Brake Cylinder

jamie31888

Hi Guys,

Having some issues with my brake master cylinder fouling the bonnet.

I have witness / rubbing marks where the bonnet rests on the reservoir 😲

Can anyone post up some pictures of theirs so I can see where i'm going wrong?

Cheers!
Jamie

It could be an unusual one off a spit 1500 (export, and it used a mounting bracket at a different angle. You don't see them often......
indeed, here it is! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brak.....e:g:eccAAOSwiYFXGhtU

You want a "normal" type. It needs to have a bigger resevoir than the clutch one as Colin points out. And avoid anything that claims to be uprated, it will make the brakes hard and give poor feel. You want 5/8 or 0.625 bore.

Jamie,
As the others have said, but the correct master cylinder would be similar to the clutch but have a taller reservoir, not larger in diameter.
                                                                                          Cheers,
                                                                                          Paul

Quoted from drofgum
As the others have said, but the correct master cylinder would be similar to the clutch but have a taller reservoir, not larger in diameter.

Is that right? I know the 13/60 Heralds had a plastic extension tube to increase the reservoir capacity of a cylinder otherwise identical to the clutch one, but my Mk3 Spit has always had a larger brake master - looks the same as a Vitesse/GT6 one. Of course, given how many non-standard bits Toby has acquired over the years, that may not mean anything. However, the drawings on the Canley site look slightly different - the brake reservoir is perpendicular to the piston, like the GT6, rather than canted-to-be-vertical like the clutch.

I have a funny feeling my 198 Spitfire 1500 had a brake master like that from original I changed it out in 1984 as it leaked brake fluid down the sill.
I had brought the car from a Leyland garage at 3 years old with a warrantee and the garage refused to payout for the replacement brake master as I had not had it serviced with them! I don't think they would get away with that today.

Martin

Thanks for the replies all,

Can anyone please post a link to the right master cylinder?

The one fitted at the moment is a GMC224 and I know the GMC220 also doesn't fit from previous experience (see picture below).

Which master cylinder are you guys using on your mk3's?

Jamie

The GMC220 should fit - it's what Canleys list

Looking again at your photo, it does look slightly as if the brake master is tilted considerably more forward than the clutch one. I don't think any of mine are like that (although Toby's missing all those bits at the moment, but I'd expect them to be very similar to the GT6)

Thanks for the replies all, I had a look in the Mk3 owners manual. There is a picture of the master cylinders.

The Master cylinder shown in the picture looks similar to this one, but at £120 its not cheap....

Is there any risk in using another clutch master cylinder?

As I said a few posts up, yours looks wrongly angled. The brackets should be the same for all models, I think. Look for a spare bracket.

(It's quite possible, indeed likely, that I have a spare brake pedal assembly lying around. It's off a Herald but I think they're the same)

You mean like these?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAST.....a1gdNp7MaQPVebD1ZhjQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIU.....5:g:eUAAAMXQ-3NRk~Nf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIU.....b:g:SngAAOSwI-BWHDj~

Cannot speak for the quality of them as I have not purchased from any of them myself. However, they seem to match what you describe. I too have a MK3. If I remember correctly, mine matches the shape of the first; the reservoir being perpendicular to the push rod.

Harry

Hi Jamie,

Sorry, yes you are right about the last one. The first 2 however I believe are correct. They both look to match the size of that fitted to mine, just seem to differ in the angle of the reservoir. You can see the pictures of mine below (ps. ignore the rust, its on my list ). The brake reservoir is perpendicular to the pushrod, the clutch is angled. Unsure if they are suppose to differ or if this was from the factory?

Thanks,

Harry