Fuel stops on the RBRR

Hi All

With the recent unwelcome introduction of E10 petrol UK wide and the exorbitant prices at Motorway Services I thought it might be a good idea for us to compile a list of petrol station on or very close to the RBRR route that sell E5 high octane petrol and will be open for business at the times we are passing.

Thoughts?

Regards

Bruce

Skiach Services is showing on their website that they have changed their opening hours to 6am to 10pm due to staff shortages. Is this still a signing on point on the way north on Saturday morning and if it is, is the petrol station going to be open?

Worry not.

I have it from a reliable authority that Skiach will be open for the RBRR crews.

It's your last chance for super unleaded before the single super unleaded pump at the Gleaner station as you enter Thurso.

From the start on the way north, there are numerous super unleaded opportunities until you reach Scotch Corner Services.

The next is at Jedburgh just before you leave the town.

After that, there's nothing until the Shell station on the Edinburgh City By-pass, the A720, at Dreghorn.

Beyond that there's several locations around Edinburgh, the control at Kinross and at Perth, there's Broxden Services at the junction with the M90/A9, halfway round the Perth By-pass, there's the Tesco station just off the A85 and yes, it does have Momentum.

The last opportunity at Perth means turning back into the city at the north for a BP station off the A912.

As you now head up the A9, there's no more super unleaded until Aviemore, which is slightly off route.

At Inverness, just half a mile off the A9 is a Tesco station to the east on the A96 that also has Momentum.  

Still at Inverness, there are 24 hour Esso and BP stations on the A82 as you head into the city.

The Tesco at Wick does not appear to have Momentum but if you fill your tank before then and have a splash and dash at Wick before filling the tank again at Skiach, then I don't think a few miles with a mixture of E5 and E10 will do anyone any harm.

Jim.

Edited by McJim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m kind of thinking I’ll do the event using e10, as each tank is not going to be in there long and as I understand it it’s the sitting in the tank/pipes/carbs that will cause the problems and if I fill up the last tank with super unleaded even if I don’t use the car for a while it should be good. Not sure if that’s right or not but I suppose I’ll find out.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FloydP said:

I’m kind of thinking I’ll do the event using e10, 

An interesting idea and one that might work. Just bear in mind the lower power generated by E10 and reportedly lower fuel economy when compared to the no-longer available 95 E5.

It’s also uncertain whether the 95 octane will be E10 or E5 as there doesn’t seem to be much info on how the rollout is going and the E10 spec is written as “up to” 10% ethanol.

Actual E10 bought in France definitely increases fuel consumption in my Vitesse as well as taking the edge off performance.

Regarding petrol station locations, there is a Sainsbury’s 2 minutes from M5 J25 which will be way cheaper than the services.

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferny said:

E10 was meant to be in pumps on 1st September. Is it? Dunno.

E10 was in pumps at Tesco, Stoke on Trent, on our way to Border Raiders, on 30th July but I realised in time and used the E5 pump!

I filled my daily driver (Skoda, new in 2016) at Morrisons, Milton Keynes, last week on the first row of pumps where it was E10 only.  However I noticed that the centre row had pumps for both E5 and E10.

We need to make sure before starting to fill our beloved classics!

12 minutes ago, Pete Arnold said:

E10 was in pumps at Tesco, Stoke on Trent, on our way to Border Raiders, on 30th July but I realised in time and used the E5 pump!

Pete, it should have still been E5, but some stations started to label the pumps in advance... the rules allowing e10 came in to force 1st Sept, so if it was genuine e10 in the pumps prior to that somebody was being naughty.

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Pete, it should have still been E5, but some stations started to label the pumps in advance... the rules allowing e10 came in to force 1st Sept, so if it was genuine e10 in the pumps prior to that somebody was being naughty.

Well, I turned in there to fill up because the large sign stated the price as £1.297/litre but when I looked at the price shown on the pump as I was filling with E5 it was costing me £1.337p/litre!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Pete Arnold

I wouldn't have thought that E10 is going to wreck your car over the course of 2000 miles. Especially when it's probably going to be mixed with existing E5  petrol that's already in your tank. I have to admit to being very sceptical of it all having heard similar scaremongering when the dreaded unleaded petrol was supposed to sound the death knoll as well.