carmadmike

Hi
My exhaust on my Vitesse is very loud and every one looks round when I put my foot down and bring the revs up.
It is a canley classic stainless system but I have changed the back box for a mild steel one but it is still very loud.
Is there a second box that can be fitted into the system has any one done it and which parts have you used. Is it a straight fit.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks Mike.

Standard manifold or something else?  I found the CC stainless box sounded lovely at first and then got loud after a few long, fast runs.  I added what is basically a "cherry bomb" in the centre section just forward of the diff, which helped a bit.  In the end I took the CC back box apart and found that someone had used far too much tape when it was built and this had melted and sealed most of the rock-wool sound absorbing packing off from the  exhaust path.  With this sorted and a bit less packing in the box ('cause I could only physically force about 2/3 of what came out back in) I welded the ends back on and it is now pretty much perfect - though it still sounds quite cross at full chat..... as it it should really  :)

Nick

I  take your cherry bombed herald and I raise you a, erm, cherry bombed herald!

http://youtu.be/2Hp0h6U9zig

I'm curious to hear what a 2" straight through pipe and fuel injection will sound like. I'm hoping for flames...

its easy to make em quiet,  like Nick, I took mine apart, but in a diff way.
sliced it open , alang the bottom,and half way up the side, so it peels back

this then lets ye get to the innards, an re pack

I gev it a few tak welds, but could also be done with  2 bits of metal,screwed to the casing
then seam sealed it with black silicon mastic.
never leaked an quite quiet

did it this way, just in case i wanted in agen

there a thread on it some where under Tech Chat,
but as usual, I can never fin oot on that darn search thingy

M

I got stopped by the Police last week. I was driving through town on my way home and a Police car was next to me in the one way system, he then pulled in behind me. Having followed me for about a mile or so he put on the blue lights. I didn't know what I'd done wrong. I knew my brake light switch had failed recently but I'd put a new one in -maybe it had gone again?

So, he walked up to me and said 'Hello sir, nothing to worry about, I just wanted to have a look at your car. Back in town it sounded amazing!'.
We talked cars for about ten minutes.

Now my stainless exhaust has the approval of the Police I took my eight year old daughter out in it and went into a multi storey car park and gave it few good revs! I don't know you giggled more me or her!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply's and sorry i haven't got back straight away.
GT6M
Had a look for the thread in tech chat but couldn't find it do you have pics of what you did.
Nick
Where did you get your cherry bomb from or can you recommend a center box that will fit. also do you have any pics of how you opened up and closed the rear box to repack it. Did you have to buy any more packing and where did you get it from.
All
What is the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 exhaust ?. As the Mk1 has a center box. Will the center box fit the Mk2 pipe or will the hole Mk1 exhaust fit a Mk2 vitesse.
Thanks again Mike