The "Panel Gaps" Thread

JonJenks

Bainzy - the front wing, and front sill gaps are easy to fix on your car
All you need to do is adjust the angled of the bonnet by either lowering the front, or raising the rear

Lower the front of the bonnet via the bolts in the bonnet boxes, if this is not possible you will need to put a 'spacer' under the bulkhead to lift the body slightly

You could lift the rear of the bonnet by adjusting the bonnet cones rather than fitting a spacer, BUT this will mean the top of the bonnet will now sit higher than the top of the bulkhead

By fitting a spacer under the bulkhead you will raise both the bonnet and the body, meaning they will still sit flush

Hope that makes sense - let me know if it does or not

Do you have any other pictures of the sills to  rear wings? - It looks like that's going to be quite a bit more work to get that flush

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will get you some more photos Anthony. As you might expect, when I take photos of the car, I usually tend to avoid photos that show the imperfections in the gaps!

Interestingly the gaps aren't as bad now without the hardtop on, only a slight difference but you notice it. The car never had a hardtop until I bought it, so when the sills were done, there won't have been one to use.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone seen this months practical classics?

Bodywork expert Martin Thaddeus shows how to fix badly fitting doors without doing any metalwork whatsoever, using a hydraulic ram to lift the sagged a-post panel and retensioning with a hammer.

Anyone else tried this? The car he does it on has worse gaps than mine, yet he ends up with door gaps I'd be ecstatic with. I'll be trying it myself once the hardtop comes off, though I can't help but wonder, should you remove the center radio console when doing it?

1381 wrote:
Has anyone seen this months practical classics?

Bodywork expert Martin Thaddeus shows how to fix badly fitting doors without doing any metalwork whatsoever, using a hydraulic ram to lift the sagged a-post panel and retensioning with a hammer.

Anyone else tried this? The car he does it on has worse gaps than mine, yet he ends up with door gaps I'd be ecstatic with. I'll be trying it myself once the hardtop comes off, though I can't help but wonder, should you remove the center radio console when doing it?

I haven't seen that article yet
Is that method purely for convertible cars?

Sounds interesting

• 3 months later...

More questions.....

If I centre the body on the chassis I cannot get the floor bolts through the front cross-members into the chassis

It appears that the holes in the floor and crossmember are too wide for the chassis
I can bolt one side in if I push to body over so it's off centre on the chassis

I can't move the holes in the floor, as the crossmembers have tubes/channels running through then to guide the bolts into place

Now then....

The thing I'm thinking is, perhaps the bolts will fit in place if the body is lifted up
The bolts go in at an angle, so the higher the body is from the chassis, the closer they'll be to lining up

My chassis needs new front outriggers, and I haven't got any spacers under the small 'legs' of the chassis that the floor crossmembers bolt to

I'm wondering if once I've fitted the front outriggers, do the small chassis 'legs' require spacers too
And if so will these two factors lift the body slightly allowing the crossmember bolts to fit into place?

Yep, the ones under the seats
The bolts don't line up with the nuts in the chassis right now

A LOT of panels have been replaced, but all measurements are as they were prior to removal

I'm wondering if they will line up once the front outriggers have been replaced - as this will lift the front of the body (since the old outriggers are hanging off)

My thinking is that......Since those bolts go in at an angle, the higher the body is, the wider apart the bolt holes can be
So, fitting new outriggers and spacers "might" do the trick??

Could somebody measure the distance between the cross members and their bolt holes for me??

I've measured the distance between the floors and the sills etc etc previously and they're all spot on
My measurements are all the same as they were prior to removal, but I'd like to know what they are compared to other peoples cars just incase my body tub wasn't aligned to start with

Thanks Steve
I think I've got the pictures you mean, but I'll PM you just incase

If somebody could measure the floor that'd be extremely helpful - I know the chassis hasn't had any work done, so I'm wondering if the holes are in the wrong place in the cross members

The cross members themselves fit perfectly, but I have no idea how accurately the holes are made during manufacture

1903 wrote:
No worries

I think It's the actual bolt holes in the crossmembers rather than the chassis measurements that'll be more useful to me

It'd be good to hear the distance from the bolt holes to the sills, as well as the distance between the bolt holes themselves

Anthony, Ive measured between the bolt centres on mine and I make it 81mm. Cant really help measuring from the sill to the nearest bolt hole centre and my carpet is stuck down but its probably about 300mm.

Hmm - forgot the gearbox cover - couldn't do an accurate measure. Will have to wait until thursday.

Measure from rear (heel board panel) to bolt hole centre of box section is 76,5 cm. if any help.

Don't forget that the captive nuts on the frame is on a bracket that are widely adjustable - might call for some brutal violence :-)

Oh, did find this old picture/drawing (note: The measure is NOT 77,5 cm as on picture, but 76,5 cm. But the box section on the rhs was about half an inch further forward than the lhs (factory!) - so....
Not sure about the 57,4 cm either. But 120 cm /47 1/4" from sill top is correct :-)

Sorry for the size of the picture, but didn't want to resize.

And don't ask me to explain all the strange drawings.

* edit: 80,1 cm is from inner sill (i.e. not top of), to extra hole in box section - NOT centre of bolt hole. Don't if these holes are the same, if you have used new repro box sections?

• 2 weeks later...