Aluminum rear wings

Gt6s

Nick_Jones wrote:
I reckon adhesive along will be enough.  Alot of moderns are extensively glued - but for a competition car, why not fibreglass wings?

Nick

Nick it is a case of want more than need.

Well why not, my rear wings are rotten anyway.

Update.  With thanks to Dave Pearson now getting an alloy rear valance as well.

Laurence

Laurence,
be interesting to hear about the fit of the alloy panels. People always b*tch about the fit of GRP ones, I wonder if the alloys are  any better.   They must be made on the original press moulds, which are ages old now, on new moulds which may not be accurate or are hand beaten, which would make them more like gold wings to buy.

Adhesive.    I've used just Araldite on alloy, but never for anything as critical as a wing.    I think the most important factor is to clean the surfaces, sand them down to remove the layer of oxide and glue ASAP!   The adhesives used in, say Elises, are rather more high tech than that!  Sikaflex-221 is the Elise compond, I belive.   http://www.elise-shop.com/sikaflex221-adhesivesealant-p-506.html

John

thebrookster wrote:

I think John Bonnett was ahead of you there!! Though he was muttering something about stopping the project a while back, no idea what he is up to now??

He went through not so much a mid-life crisis more and end of life crisis but that's past now and the project is back on track.  ;)

However, there are some jobs on the GT6 which are taking priority like fitting a new interior and refurbishing the seats.

I did have a little play at pulling out and stretching the outer wheel arch for a rear wing and it doesn't look too difficult. I'm really looking forward to getting back to a bit of metal shaping and will post progress as it happens.