Oil pressure gauge

Alex

I guess I'll just go for the passenger side then,then it's there when I want to see it but hopefully not too distracting.
It's just a bit daunting cutting my dash as they don't seem to be very common.......
Just have to get it right first time ;D

7709 wrote:
Hate to give you another option but I mounted mine here....

I've now changed all bezels to chrome

I have to admit that's what I was thinking earlier....see above ;)
Is there a gap behind or do I need to open it up?
I think that's my favourite position.it looks wrong on the panel to the left I think......

Hi alex, another option is to mount them in the H tower in place of a radio (unless you're running one). I made a plate for Leigh on this site for two gauges which sits out of the way. Just another option to add to the list above, I personally like the idea of mounting them below the heater box in the dash.  ;)

I'm currently working on a 3 gauge centre panel as part of my dashboard refurb, years ago I made a 4 gauge centre panel.

I like the gauge by the rev counter, it looks less after thought.

I have also mounted instruments in the h panel radio blank which looks good.

For my current 1500 I riveted a panel to the h panel to replace the radio blank and recovered the complete h panel so no need for a blanking panel.

7586 wrote:
Nobody has mentioned a dual temp and pressure gauge.
A very neat solution.

I looked at those prior to buying my smiths one. I didn't like the fact the water pipe was a capillary tube affair.
Otherwise I agree a much easier solution.

I've put oil pressure and voltmeter gauges on the panel where the air vent is on Cook1e's car. Need to take it off first though.
I've got an old adjustable 'tank cutter' with a centre drill bit and adjustable cutter.
I used an old bit of 1/2" ply to get the diameters right, I managed two cuts to recess the Smiths gauges as per original. drilled the large diameter first for the recessed bit then drilled the gauge diameter halfway from both sides so as not to splinter the woodwork.
Tony.

Alex wrote:

I have to admit that's what I was thinking earlier....see above ;)
Is there a gap behind or do I need to open it up?
I think that's my favourite position.it looks wrong on the panel to the left I think......

Lots of space behind so fitting an extra gauge is easy  :)

If it's a black dash, why worry so much about cutting it? Surely that's easier to make at home than a veneered one?

Stick the gauge where you cans see it. At first you'll stare at it but once you get used to the car you won't and will treat is like the temperature and fuel gauges. There's absolutely no point in putting it in a hard to see place when it's probably one of the most important, you may as well not fit it! Also, keep in mind that if it's further away tired eyes will struggle to see it more which could lead to mis-reading it.

What about symmetry Tim, do you just not care!!
I bought a nos smiths oil gauge and fitting kit for a very good price.... That helped sway my decision on the gauge :-)
The biggest thing that conceren me with a capillary gauge was the end breaking off. This is what happened to my kenlowe fan years ago. It was only about 18 months old too!

What pressure should I be looking to see on a four cylinder?... Same as a 6?

Richard_B wrote:
The black plastic dash is now quite rare as most 1300 Spitfire dashes were 'upgraded' to wood by their owners.

I know Richard that's why I don't want to cut a big hole and regret it :)
How's wood an upgrade from black!! :)