oil pressure gauge

timmsy

hi guys i was thinking of putting an oil pressure gauge in my 1500 can anyone tell me firstly is it advisable to do this and secondly the biggest question is how do i fit one? and where is the sender unit will it be already in the car any help would be very much appreciated

I fitted one to mine, bought a T piece and pipe from my local mini shop as the threads are the same, really easy to fit but as others have said, you do watch then all the time, nice to know the pressure is good but can't stop watching it!

Rich

I put mine between the two existing gauges & moved the lighting switch above.

Gauge & switch (early Marina type) cheap from autojumble, pipe, tee & fittings from the incredibly helpful Speedograph Ritchfield I seem to remember.

They made it all up for less than a tenner I'm sure, but that was 10 years ago.

i fitted one to a 1500 Spit I owned, and fitted to the right of the steering wheel. There's a whole in the metal dash blanked off in the Spit by the wooden dash, probably because it is the same panel used on the GT6 which has a air blower in this position.

Cheers

Blue

Hi,
For the earlier Spitfires with the chrome rimmed Jaeger gauges, the TR4 oil pressure gauge is a perfect match.
                                                               Cheers,
                                                               Paul

• 3 years later...

Ok im just fitting one to my car to can someone please confirm if these bits from James Paddock will be the bits i need for a Smith Mechanical gauge.

jps972 - Pipe and End fittings including fiber washers
jps974 - T Piece
jps973 - Oil pressure adaptor for T piece

Or does any one know of a cheaper place?

Thanks

Leigh

3908 wrote:
Ok im just fitting one to my car to can someone please confirm if these bits from James Paddock will be the bits i need for a Smith Mechanical gauge.

jps972 - Pipe and End fittings including fiber washers
jps974 - T Piece
jps973 - Oil pressure adaptor for T piece

Or does any one know of a cheaper place?

Thanks

Leigh

That's normally everything you need to get it working, bought everything at the same place for mine at the time  :)
Don't think you can get it cheaper ..  :B

Is it advisable?
Yes.  Wish I'd had one fitted BEFORE I started getting this strange noise...that turned out to be about 10PSI at hot idle :(

How do I fit one?
Simplest way is a mechanical kit.  Mine came from Paddocks - JPS971.  This gives you gauge, pipe and T-piece that replaces the oil pressure sender unit under the distributor.  I added an eBay special gauge mounting bracket that hangs off of the outside parcel tray mounting bolt.

I fitted a smiths one from a mini to my GT6. I took the oil pressure gauge apart and used the orangey red needle from a scrap GT6 fuel gauge in place of the white mini needle and also painted the bezel black so it's a pretty good match to the other standard Smiths gauges fitted to Mk2s and early (rotoflex) MK3s.  I fitted it to a pod under the dash as I didn't want to cut a hole in my standard dash.

or late Mk3s there is an oil pressure gauge used on TR6s of the same era that matches, but they are pretty hard to find and expensive as you have to pay the "TR" tax applied to all TR 5 and 6 parts!