Oil Warning light ON !!! 1300TC

trubac

Hello overthere !
Just after a 100km trip (mainly motorway at 70mph) the oil warning light lighted up when the engine is at low revs ...  
When cold it is fine but now when warm the warning lights gets on at low to med revs.

The oil level is normal, the car is running fine, no overheating ...

I suppose the culprit is the oil pump so few questions :
- can it be the oil filter that is blocked ?
- is it possible to change the oil pump in situ ? do I need a new one or can it be reoaired  DIY ?
- is there other area to look ?

Thanks very much for helping !
I'm posting in the 1300 and Spitfire section.

Gilles from Dieppe (FR)

Ideally you want an oil pressure gauge. See what is happening to teh pressure.

however, if the sensor etc is OK, my first guess would be worn crank bearings. On most of our cars this can be done in situ by dropping the sump.

the relief valve is on the block, near the sump, roughly under the oil filter. Looks like a big and long nut.

Second Clive, most likely big end bearings. Did this on my S a couple of years ago. Copper was showing on the shells. Unfortunately shaft had to be ground too.
Recommend  fitting an oil pressure gauge first to see what is happening.
Tony.

I am also of the school of first getting an oil pressure gauge, to get some idea of what's actually going on. I've had instances where exactly what you describe happened; subsequently the oil light would stay on for higher and higher rev's...and then it decided to spring a leak, which pretty much made me decide to change it out. Oh, I'd already had an oil pressure gauge, so I knew what was actually happening!

Does the engine rattle on cold start?  If not (or not much) I'd try in order

- give the oil a good sniff - does it smell strongly of petrol - has the level gone up?  Split fuel pump diaphragm can dilute the oil.
- new pressure switch
- investigate the relief valve and check for broken spring or other obvious damage
- If problem remains
- Fit a proper mechanical gauge so you can see what is really happening.  Doesn't have to be a full, permanent install.
-  5 - 10psi hot idle is not ideal but not catastrophic either so long as it quickly climbs and makes 40psi by 2000 rpm.  Can likely be improved with decent oil or a can of Wynns but is probably telling you that there is a bottom end rebuild in your future.

Nick

My pressure relief valve some times sticks on cold start up and I know because the oil light doesn't go out.  I remove it inspect it for wear, clean it and after refitting and starting engine, oil light goes out.
No problem with a hot engine however.

Quoted from Howard
As a short term fix try adding a can of STP oil treatment. It won't do any harm and helps protect worn engines with oil pressure issues.

I had an engine with rough bearings (so rough, I doubt it had any). My solution was to throw in any oil I found as it was going to die at some point anyway. It mostly got 10w/40 diesel oil from cars we collected. It got worse and to solve that I started putting in STP. It must have been running on that neat in the end. Oil pressure issues went for quite some time, too!

I've used it to help troubleshoot more modern cars with suspected low oil pressure a few times. If you know the cause and effects of problems it's a handy tool.

Had this problem in my first Spitfire.  Before panicking about oil-pump or bottom-end rebuilds.  try replacing the oil pressure sender.
When they fail, they have exactly this pattern of flickering oil light on hot idle which gradually gets worse.  Then they start a tell-tale trickle of oil out the back of the sender.

An oil pressure gauge will give you an absolute view on what is really happening, but replacing the sender first is a quick and potentially cheap way to peace of mind.  (£5.10 from Canleys, part number GPS117)

Thanks very much for all the answers ! sorry for late reply I'm away from wifi here ...

Quoted from Nick Jones
Does the engine rattle on cold start?  If not (or not much) I'd try in order

- give the oil a good sniff - does it smell strongly of petrol - has the level gone up?  Split fuel pump diaphragm can dilute the oil.

Nick

Pump diaphragm ? on a 1300TC ?
Yes it seems that oil level gone up  ... not sure if it is because I ad some also ...
Engine doesn't rattle anormally on cold start, it sound very smooth, it rattles hot but it was there before and I think it is a deflector problem (special on the TC)

I will try to sender first, and the valve (doesn't look good at all)

Thx
G

• 2 weeks later...

I received the parts and put them on as well as a oil pressure gauge, everything is fine !
very happy got 20/30 at idle and 70 when running.

Thanks very much for helping !

need to take care of the tak tak at the front but I'm sure it is this strange 1300TC oil trower that got some play...

I wouldn't call it normal but it is common.  It's a sign that the bearing shells and crank journals are wearing and make a noise until the oil arrives.   Unfortunately the oiling system design means that the oil takes a little while to arrive.  Can be helped with alternative filter arrangements and the right type of filter canister but not always completely cured.

Engines can survive a good long time after they start making the cold start rumble if treated with respect during the first few seconds of running.

Nick