daver clasper

Hi everybody.

Have read a few old read tests of various Triumphs that were new/ or part old back in the day.

They seemed to using about a pint of engine oil every 600/1000 miles.

Was wondering about this as an experienced restorer of Triumphs advised that a healthy engine needs no top up between engine services.

Cheers, Dave  

Ive read   that too, some say no oil used,others a pint for 500 miles on a TR6.
seems as though either they wer,nt bedded correctly at first, or it were the wrong pistons that were fitted,
read some thing that there were 20,000 odd pistons machined wrong for 2.5 engines,
Im sure it was an article by GT some time ago.

Alott depends too on how fast,or how much revs are used, as high revs, full load
charges the crank case, and blows oil into chambers to be burnt.
Not helped by too small a vent pipe fora 2.5 too.

M

My recently rebuilt 2L (4k miles on it) has dropped from the full mark to half way between the marks over the course of the 10CR.  2,645 hard miles.  The old engine would have used about 6L of the same oil of that distance.  Or about 2L with Wynns added.

1000 miles per pint would be acceptable in my book, but a good engine should do alot better.  

Nick

alott depends on the oil too.
I recall some 10-60 and it took nearly 4 litres for 600 mile round trip

As yet, 2000 odd miles on new engine, apart frae the first oil changes to get the 20W running in oil oot,
done about 1600 on this oil, and its hardly moved at all.
good ole 20-60 Penrite

M

When i drive the Spitfire to the UK 2 months ago it was the longest drive i've done so far in 1 day with her.
After a good 600km's /370 miles i needed to top up around 300ml (i think it was), my friend had the same.
Both are original engines, never rebuild.

The 4 days after she had done another 1600 km's / 1000 miles and used around 200/ 300 ml.

Using Millers Classic 20w50

The factory instructed the dealer network not to fix "high oil consumption" under warranty unless it exceeded a pint every 1000 miles. It was normal for 1960s British cars to consume oil. A Jaguar owner friend of mine commented that only a pint every 1000 miles would be superbly good for an E-type.

Worth noting that oil use continues to be a contentious issue to this day.  A number of modern marques, especially VAG with their 2.0TFSI engines, have big issues with it and some truly epic consumption figures.  Cars that would smoke badly, but for their catalytic converters.  Alfa petrol engines also have a tendency to use oil.

Nick

many manufactures would specify a consumption able to accommodate the worst oil burner they envisaged in customer service
many years ago was i think an Shell 100.000mile test covering vauxhall, fords hillman jag bmc etc.  and others , the jag was down to a pint every 100 and the hillman was still better than a pint per 1000   and won the test the e will be some copies logged somewhere  !!! whos going to find it ????

my hairy 1600 never needed any top up in 4000 miles but the  74 2000  Mk2 i have now does about  250ml  to 1000
some ot thats leakage  on VR1

Pete

Quoted from Dogsbody47uk
I always used Duckhams 20W 50. Cheers, Dave.

I always found Duckhams Hypergrade to be a good quality oil that stays where it belongs. When I filled any of my Triumphs with Castrol it just p!$$ed out. These days I tend to use Penrite, except in the GT6 where that would cause excessive oil pressure.